What are guild constructs made of?

Shadowdragon

I can't remember if it's been mentioned in any of the fluff but what metal are guild constructs made from? From the artwork it looks like some kind of darkened steel, but wouldn't it make more sense for the time period if they were made from brass or bronze (can't remember which was more commonly used, or which is considered more steampunky)?

Bronze is pretty unlikely. Brass would be very common in certain pieces - it's used in situations where it's important that no sparks are generated (like moving parts around explosive gases and fuel), where having a low friction coefficient is desirable (gears, slides, bearings, etc), where pieces need to be hand-worked but still very durable or where its natural, beautiful color is used for decoration. Making an entire Construct out of brass would be too expensive for mass-produced Guild constructs, though Ramos does have his special one-off Brass Arachnid.

For everything else - yeah, most likely steel or in some cases cast iron (armour plates, for example). It is Malifaux, so there's probably some soulstone-based hardening/infusing process that could give steel all sorts of special properties. There are also innumerable ways to change the colour of steel (or plate it with other metals), so go nuts - your constructs can look however you want.

From the technical angle I'd add a couple of points to Kadeton's point above:

1.  Copper and Brass have a higher thermal conductivity than steel which would make it better suited to boilers and steam piping.

2.  Copper and Brass are less susseptible to corrosion than mild steel.

When I'm painting steam punk models, if it's small, delicate or handles water/steam use brass.  If it's big, clunky and dry, use steel.

Enamelling metal is a pretty old technique (as in hundreds of year before Malifaux is set) so if you think it will be pretty you can have your constructs any kind of colour without being anachronistic. And even though this is an extra step that would make a construct more expensive to manufacture, it also protects against corrosion so would at least make sense for the larger constructs that are expensive to start with.

If I do an uncoloured construct I typically do most of it in iron/steel (i.e. shades of grey) and pick out details in brass (i.e. yellow/brown) in way that I think will look good, not so much based on perceived function of the parts.

It's also good to note that brass comes in a wide variety of hues depending on much the zinc is in it, from a very pale yellow to a deep redbrown. It becomes greenish from corrosion, again the exact hue varies depending on composition and environment.

I need to have a look at the models themselves but I quite like the idea of having a pearlised effect for the large panels (think Mother of Pearl) with maybe brass edging.  Just think it may look different and nice.  Have no idea how I could get an effect like that though!

Um.. What is this talk? This is very tough to achieve on a grey model with no intention of touching it with a single drop of paint? :P 

• Like 1

I really like the idea of making the joints and internal components brass, and the outer armour plating enameled steel. Of course, now I have to figure out what colours to use for the enamel. The guild's official colour scheme is bubblegum pink with fluorescent green polka dots, isn't it?