SEG's Super Happy Funtime Thread [UPDATE: "More Plug-Uggies than Levy Could Ever Need + Ima-Ho Zako: Complete!"][Explicit Content]

^ Fair enough. The huge skulls bothered me too but after I coverted it I figured it was too late and I was generally okay with the way it looked so I just kept it the way it was. I'm big on the grimdark and overly excessive stylized models like WWX or Raging Heroes TGG minis and wanted a battle standard that looked both mechanical and "necro" if that makes sense.

The shine has been killed since that pic - to make my models more playable without me worrying about chips and stuff I always use gloss varnish first then flat varnish overtop - sometimes I have to go back and further kill the shine after a day or two if the matte layer wasn't thick enough. The big problem with matte is that if you put it on too thick it makes the paint job look chalky or cloudy and basically ruins it so I'm conservative with it and just touch up the shiney spots that remain. I took those pics right after I varnished the first time and I was too lazy to go back and retake them after another couple matte layers.

Even so, after applying the matte-over-gloss technique - the model will still be a little shinier than it should be but the added protection is worth it and it looks great for metallic painted models - like the peacekeeper (which was also still too shiney in the pic too).

I think I might just start taking pics before varnishing from now on to avoid that - my pics and lighting aren't of the highest quality either so that doesn't help.

Thanks for the interest. :D 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

"Mini-Update: Ima-Ho Zako"

Bumped from Page 1 already?

I currently have a large amount of minis on the go and I am also finishing off a major project for Adepticon this year plus I am trying to finish off a "premium" Blood Bowl team before diving head-first into dedicating myself to Kingdom Death minis for a good while. I will, however, be doing Wyrd minis here and there still because I like to shake things up.

Pro Tip: If you ever find yourself getting bored of hobby, the best thing you can do is shake it up a bit. I always have a healthy amount of very different minis from different companies in a queue plus terrain elements and a couple of "batch-painting" projects ready to go so that I can pick an choose what I feel like doing... otherwise, if I feel particularly crafty, I will just do scratch terrain or display making until I get bored and move back into painting/gaming. I find it pretty hard to burn yourself out this way because you have so much to do and all of your projects are all very different from each other.

Example: I'm just finishing off a wave of Wyrd models I had in a queue - most of which were undead mechanical things. I like undead mechanical things as much as the next guy but it can get pretty tedious. So I went off on a tangent and finally put some paint on this chick. Going for a "Surprise! I'm not a Geisha - SWALLOWYOURSOULSWALLOWYOURSOULSWALLOWYOURSOUL" angle with this one. I really only use her with Daw but she doesn't get much play time at that anyway. I will be proxying her with a KD Watcher on a Graveyard base for my new JD crew anyway so this is just a model I did "for fun" really.  ;)

The finished model will be in my next full update. I wanted to take a lot more WIP pics step by step but forgot.

Ima-Ho%20Zako_zpsyihxbyrm.jpg

Thanks for looking. B)

• Like 1

Photobucket is annoyingly slow to get to the original non-tiny version of the pics but it was worth the wait. The skin is amazing work and all in all I feel that her face is one of your best works to date. The lantern looks a bit weird in copper and I find the pink clashing with the yellow in a somewhat non-appeasing way but man those skin tones just blow me away.

• Like 1

On 2016-01-12 at 6:24 AM, Math Mathonwy said:

Photobucket is annoyingly slow to get to the original non-tiny version of the pics but it was worth the wait. The skin is amazing work and all in all I feel that her face is one of your best works to date. The lantern looks a bit weird in copper and I find the pink clashing with the yellow in a somewhat non-appeasing way but man those skin tones just blow me away.

That's a lantern?!?! I thought it was a jar or something... sheeeeeeeeeeeit... too late now.

I follow Bohun on CMoN like he is my god and a lot of his skin tones are rubbing off on me... especially the gory messy ones and ones that look rotten or infected. Regardless, proper use of purples and greens seem to be your best friends when shading (no freaking clue how that works - remember I have no real background in color theory or even art what-so-ever) - to get the skin looking almost transparent or membrane-y you need to apply the the absolute thinnest layer of a bright grey-white then glaze in a non-uniform almost speckled fashion to make it look natural. Hard to explain. Her skin is red to separate it from the white face paint but i used the same idea - red is picky and honestly you kind of have to mess around with it again and again to make it work - a step forward and back over and over til its good, as it were.

I actually didn't think too much about the color choice - I just wanted to do something brighter because I always do dark stuff. Do you mean that the yellow and pink clash too much because they are both bright? I did a google search for geisha source material and they wear some really bright stuff so I followed suit with that to pull off the funny "surprise" idea. Also, I brought the brightness of the yellow down quite a bit in the final piece... so let me know what you think when I post it. Finally, I wanted the dress, not Ama to be the focal point of the piece... not sure if that makes sense. I love the critique though, thanks.

On 2016-01-12 at 9:42 AM, lusciousmccabe said:

Loving the freehand but not too taken with the pink, think with the texture on her dress it's a bit bubblegum-ey. Brass/gold on the head-dress and bangles look great and I'm assuming you picked the sane option and didn't connect that ribbon all the way round? :) 

You are correct sir, and boy am I glad I did. Pro Tip: cut the ribbon in half after painting it up fully, just under the armpit location and reattach through the front and back, then touch up as needed. I did some random Asian looking freehand on the ribbon and if it was attached it would have been hell trying to freehand that in addition to the robe. Yikes. I'll be updating with the finished model soon-ish.

7 hours ago, SpectreEliteGaming said:

I follow Bohun on CMoN like he is my god and a lot of his skin tones are rubbing off on me... especially the gory messy ones and ones that look rotten or infected. Regardless, proper use of purples and greens seem to be your best friends when shading (no freaking clue how that works - remember I have no real background in color theory or even art what-so-ever) - to get the skin looking almost transparent or membrane-y you need to apply the the absolute thinnest layer of a bright grey-white then glaze in a non-uniform almost speckled fashion to make it look natural. Hard to explain. Her skin is red to separate it from the white face paint but i used the same idea - red is picky and honestly you kind of have to mess around with it again and again to make it work - a step forward and back over and over til its good, as it were.

Aye, purple and green rock. Have you tried the instantly amazing male face trick of painting it normally and then glazing the top third with yellow, the middle third with red, and the bottom third with blue? Absolutely amazing.

But yeah, really liked the way you did the skin and the facepaint and the make-up and the interplay between them. Superb stuff (and a really clever idea all in all).

7 hours ago, SpectreEliteGaming said:

I actually didn't think too much about the color choice - I just wanted to do something brighter because I always do dark stuff. Do you mean that the yellow and pink clash too much because they are both bright? I did a google search for geisha source material and they wear some really bright stuff so I followed suit with that to pull off the funny "surprise" idea. Also, I brought the brightness of the yellow down quite a bit in the final piece... so let me know what you think when I post it. Finally, I wanted the dress, not Ama to be the focal point of the piece... not sure if that makes sense. I love the critique though, thanks.

I don't think they actually clash from a colour theory standpoint (other than you should generally try to have the mini be darker on the bottom parts and then light up onto high areas to give it dynamism) but somehow that particular combo just looks a bit jarring. It might be the bubblegumyness of it like lusciousmccabe called it. But it might come together once ready. Looking forward to it!

• 3 weeks later...

"More Plug-Uggies than Levy Could Ever Need + Ima-Ho Zako: Complete!"

I didn't have much time to think up anything too witty for this update so it will be a quick and dirty visual feast, as it were.

I'm really trying to bang out my unfinished stuff as quickly as possible because I know that as soon as I start doing Kingdom Death, I am going to be invested in that for quite a while... and I still want to finish up an ultra premium big ass Chaos Dwarf BB display board for the following Adepticon in 2017.

Finished off this ugly mofo just because it was sitting there prepped and primed on my to-do table for sooo long that I got sick of looking at it.

DE%20Metal_zpsmrjrho8y.jpg

I still think its just a generally ugly looking boring model so it'll just warm the shelf... especially when I've got a bunch of other, much much cooler options...

Here is a proxy Desolation Engine from WWX to use with my eventual entirely proxied Levy (Albous Von Schtook) crew. He reminds me of the last boss from Borderlands 2's Hammerlock DLC - which is obviously super cool. I kept it simple with a typical Frankenstein + "blood, guts, and rust" scheme. His base is quite detailed so I kept him simple to differentiate.

DE%20Proxy_zpshmbsjgaj.jpg

Lastly, I found the perfect model that exemplifies my love for taking everything to the extreme (which is probably why KD's "penis-lions and a million boobs all over the place" style appeals to me so much).

Clearly, when you have a giant saw and drill arm - you also need two more arms for your laser and gatling guns. Uhhhhh... lets put an extra head on there too, or something = BRILLIANT!

Entropic%20Siege-Engine_zpsbpvcdlvw.jpg

I've taken to calling this guy the "Entropic Siege Engine" and it would make a neat proxy thematically, if say - your first DE was killed and then reformed into something more powerful, or something. Otherwise, I was thinking I could easily use this as McMourning's Avatar - hence the simple industrial looking base that would blend in well with many crew schemes and the gold Master/Henchman/Avatar trim rather than the typical silver trim I use to designate enforcers. I loves me the mechanical horrors and I recently found that WWX has a suitable model for pretty much all of Levy's base crew - so an entire Levy proxy crew I shall make for an epic face-off... just because I can, and that sounds pretty sweet. ;)

Can you guess who I'd use for Rusty Alyce? >8)

Okay fine, it wasn't "finally," because I promised finished pics of this little ol' lady. Math called me on my laziness of taking photos of shiney minis before they were actually done being varnished so I made sure to kill the shine but good this time... then forgot to add my dead grass tufts to the base before taking pics... siiiigh. Well, I'm not taking more pics, so tough. ;)

Enjoy.

Ima-Ho%20Zako_zpskjhtlfs7.jpg

On the next update, I will probably be showing off the remainder of the metal mercenary models I stripped and repainted - and perhaps a few other random things I did. Its crunch time for Adepticon this year - so my main focus is getting that out of the way so I can just dedicate myself to KD soon afterwards.

'Til next time.

• Like 2