Lynch - Do you keep aces in your hand at turn end?

Inspired by the interesting thread at http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/109027-how-long-do-you-keep-the-black-joker-in-hand/, I thought I'd ask some more experienced Lynch players a question that came up in my first (and only) game playing Lynch so far:

How many (if any) aces do you keep in your hand at turn end?

I find Ace in the Hole to be an amazingly useful ability. The Ten Thunders in particular seem to have a lot of good places to use it - reliably choosing 10T Brothers' Dance of the Heavens ability, Rapid Fire for Thunder Archers, Tengu's Scheme Marker removal, etc. Woke Up With a Hand helps mitigate the potential pain of a handful of aces, and 52 Pickup has its moments, but playing with a small hand is just a pain. 

I feel like the best bet might be to keep just one ace in hand unless you have Wanna See a Trick and an obvious 52 Pickup target. I'll keep whatever suit seems most useful for the 10T Brothers (usually Crow, Mask, or Ram, depending on circumstances) and let the rest go.

Am I missing anything, or is this just another n00b discovering the obvious? :)

I would not keep more than 1 ace ever personally. I would only keep that one Ace if I had several abilities that required the use of a card from hand (eitehr discarding or cheatign to get that suit).

So unless you think you really need a set ability from the TTB (Switching to a 4" range to surprise deliver a message for example) or had at least 2 models that are going to Rapid fire (or similar) then I probably wouldn't bother.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't keep more than one. One is nice to have for discarding purposes as it will just go back to your hand during your activation. If your're using things like Illuminated, you will have ways to search your deck for aces during your turn, (trying to brillshape even at full health). Really only if you need to 52 pickup early in the turn would I keep more than one, but chances are you already did this at the end of the previous turn. 

• Like 1

I would suggest, if you have 1 or more ten thunders brothers, an ace of rams can really help out.

You can use your zero action to snag an extra card. (Play the ace of rams for his zero. Then discard it after you draw two, discard one.)

Then you can discard it to make them defensive (and increase their defense by +1).

Also, a ace of crows for a stitched togethers "tails you lose" might be worth a hold, if you don't catch the high crow for heads I win.

And if you're going for the coup de grace on "you wanna see a trick", you're in for a headache when you get to an end of turn with 3. Go for 6 damage? Save and try for 8? (don't do it. Just take the 6 damage and start again next turn... lol)

ENinja

I would suggest, if you have 1 or more ten thunders brothers, an ace of rams can really help out.

You can use your zero action to snag an extra card. (Play the ace of rams for his zero. Then discard it after you draw two, discard one.)

Then you can discard it to make them defensive (and increase their defense by +1).

ENinja

I don't understand, how do they draw two cards?  The TTB trigger says: Mongoose Style: After succeeding, this model may choose to either draw a card and then discard a card, or heal 2 damage.  I don't see the combo that lets you draw two cards.

Also, I don't think you can discard the Ace of Rams for Mongoose Style if you cheat it in for the Ram.  Jacob's Ace In the Hole ability says you can pick up aces "...after the Action resolves."  The TTB's Dance of Heavens action would not resolve until after you draw a card and discard a card.

Serves me right for not having my cards in front of me.

So you need two aces to do it. And you only net one card. But it's still pretty baller.

I mean, even if you're just using it to consistently mill cards, and take a defensive action.... Increase your defense at 0 cost, and cultivate a hand for later in the turn activations.

The one time I played Lynch, I utilized his "Ace In The Hole" ability as much as I could, just from the Illuminated's healing ability, and the 10 Thunder Brother's "Dance of Heavens" ability.

That said, I kept most of the Aces I found, until it was Lynch's turn to activate. Depending on the circumstance, and what situation was needed most for my 10 Thunder Brother's, I hung onto 1 Ace all the time, unless I absolutely needed the higher card.

I didn't take "Wanna See A Trick" or "Woke Up With A Hand" though. The first relying on my drawing Aces before Lynch went, and the other needing him to activate last didn't seem to mesh well with the strategy. "Woke Up With A Hand" would've been good for a couple of turns at best, and for 2 SS, I thought I could've made better use for them points.