Choosing to fail

Turbodog

Question

12 answers to this question

Do you mean like choosing to relent in an Opposed Duel? (box, p.33 big rule book) -- It specifically says that the option is only available in an opposed duel between friendly models, so I'd say no. Also that you can't choose to relent against an enemy model.

Of course, you do have the option of cheating down to fail, but I don't think that's what you're asking about.

We played our first Tara game. She attacked her own model who relented and the attack hit. THEN the trigger occurred to force the model to take a simple duel or be buried. The Tara player wanted the bury to happen so wanted to choose to fail it.

Tara had no cards to cheat down and a flip would have caused it to pass (we flipped the card to see)

I am confused as the manual states that you can choose to fail a duel between two friendly models. You declare that defender chooses to relent a duel and then you flip just for attack. The relented duel is treated as a tie. Just checked the manual again and thats how I understand it. But in many battle reports we can see that players fail their actions due to not being able too cheat down. I am confused as hell xd

What is the context of these SG6?

My immediate thought is that either...

1. The attack was a randomised shot into an engagement and the player wanted to cheat down his attack so it would miss.

2. The reference is to being unable to cheat down the damage flip and so a player killed their own model instead of pinging it for profit.

3. The attacking model was trying to force a friendly (or mind controlled enemy) to fail a simple duel but was unable to cheat down.

4. The attacking model needed a specific suit and so failed to cast even with the friendly relenting (though in this case they wouldnt use the phrase cheating down).

Your understanding is correct.

You can choose to tie in a friendly opposed duel. But it isn't compulsery.

Because its a tie, any resulting damage flip would be at a double negative. If you want to be able to cheat damage, then  you might chose not to relent, and then try and arrange the difference between the totals to allow you to cheat. (Also the defender can't declare a trigger if they relent)

Not knowing which reports you are looking at, I don't know if they didn't know about the relenting rules, or if they had a reason they wanted to make the duels happen, but its quite often the case

I am confused as the manual states that you can choose to fail a duel between two friendly models.

Yep, you can. That only works when you're talking about an opposed duel - one where both characters flip and the higher total wins. If it's a simple duel - one where only one character flips, and has to beat a number - then you can't choose to fail.

So when Tara, for example, attacks one of her own models with Pull the Void, the target can relent and automatically fail to defend against the attack. When Tara triggers Glimpse the Void with that attack, the target still has to take the Wp 13 duel, and can't choose to fail.

So when Tara, for example, attacks one of her own models with Pull the Void, the target can relent and automatically fail to defend against the attack. When Tara triggers Glimpse the Void with that attack, the target still has to take the Wp 13 duel, and can't choose to fail.

That has been played wrong in my meta!