Da' Wyrd Scale?

GremlEZ

Hello Everyone

I am getting started in Malifaux as well as in terrain building. I have crafted a couple of test pieces but I am a bit confused with the Wyrd scale :P

I was wonderign if someone could give me a rul of the thumb to calcualte the height and size for Malifaux terrains and terrain peices (boulders, buildigns, etc)

Regards

EZ :ph34r: 

Well, the scale of the minis is a bit of an issue, as scaling isn't exactly the same over the whole range. I think they are supposed to be realistic 32 mm, which would translate to heroic 28 mm but with better proportions?

I can tell you that the Plast Craft Tower, specifically designed for Malifaux in collaboration with Wyrd, has 3" high floors, and doors are 2,25" high. It looks appropriate for the most minis I have.

Scale is one of them things I think a lot of people get hung up on, Malifaux uses the dynamic, if it looks good rule. And I would use the same rule when it comes to the terrain. Don't foget that Malifaux is an alian world With strange miss shaped reflections of earth side architecture.

Dirial has given you some good advice as far as the size of things for looking good next to the human sized stuf.

• Like 1

I have thought about using HO Scale model train buildings (which is what I used in my Iron Painter Entry).  The scale for HO is 1:87 and 28mm is equal to about 1:76 so it's pretty close but not exact.  The buildings are taller than the mini's and I think that's enough for me.  I don't know, what does anyone else think?

here are some examples I have been piecing together in planning for a Red Chapel Distric

dwn1031.jpg

dwn1002.jpg

mdp579.jpg

dwn1000.jpg

fal130445.jpg

fal130922.jpg

with some cobblestone streets and gas lamps, it would be set :)

Keep in mind the base thickness and size as well. The lipped bases add about 1' of scale height to each mini so a lot of 28mm terrain is going to look a bit small in comparison. I think a scale of 1/3" = 1 scale foot is about right. When making doors it is best to make them a bit larger than real life to accommodate a 30mm base moving thru them.

• 4 weeks later...

Without trying to get too technical, I just keep a couple "human sized" mini's on hand to make sure the scale is in the right range.  Most of my swamp terrain is designed for gremlin sized models so as shown below, things are a wee bit short for a human sized model...

GremlinShack3WIP2_zpsd9bbc759.jpg

My gremlin scale doors are around 1 1/2" tall.  I'd go with 2" for humans.  Aside from that I don't worry too much about aiming for a specific scale.

-Dave