After some gremlin option advice!

trapthem

Hey guys, 

I'm pretty much kicking things off with neverborn and guild mostly but I'm thinking about making Zoraida my main master (despite never playing an actual game of malifaux - hobby is mostly my interest). 

When I do throw the 50 crews I have at friends and tell them to crank some games from time to time I was wondering what works well on the gremlin side of the fence with these crews. I got the kin box as a) another crew to use here and there and B) to get pierre so I can use him with zoraida as neverborn and blow things up for the lols.

In regards to minis I was liking the look of the war pig and the piglets basically but was wondering if there was anything else i'd be missing out on that would be fun or rather useful that I should probably consider looking at as well.  

Hello Trapthem,

recently I started to play Zoraida as well and just like you I own her Starter Box and The Kin - Ophelia Starter Box (+ 3 Waldgeists and 2 Slop Haulers). I started Your favorite Zoraida beatstick topic in order to find, you guessed it, a beatstick (model with high damage potential) and to generally think through my future purchases.

It started as a narrowly focused topic, but since then a lot of models got discussed, so if you ever get bored...

Generally you will want models that greatly benefit from having another single AP or card advantage.

Warpigs and Pigletts are excelent, because they can Charge for 1 AP (so can be Obeyed to do so) via their Pigcharge Ability. Their :melee(which Charge generates) Attack Actions also have Stampede Trigger, which allows them to Charge another model, which they are not engaged with. That makes 4 Attack Actions for a price of single Zoraida's AP.

But you will have to carefully manouver said pigs or have some Gremlins to controll them due to their Set'er Off Ability.

Another similar model would be Rooster Rider that has Roostercharge and Stampede Trigger as well.

If you find yourself playing a lot of Swampfiend models (Zoraida, Bad Juju, Silurids, Waldgeists, Wild Boars, Bayou Gators, Spawn Mother, Gupps), McTavish is a great addition to your Crew. He is the model I am currently anticipating to be released in plastic the most.

His 14" :ranged Attack Action ignores Cover and can shoot into Engagement without randomisation and gets more accurate the more Swampfiends you have.

Wild Boars are another great model, because they receive :+fate to Attack Flips they make outside of their Activation.

A model that I am particullary interested in is Sammy LaCroix, but I know next to nothing about her.

Her Good Student Ability allows you to field both Zoraida's limited Upgrades at the same time. Give Zoraida Crystal Ball and Sammy Animal Shape and have her fly around and transform enemy Scheme Markers into Stuffed Pigletts (props to Jeebus). Or give Zoraida Animal Shape to keep her safe and Sammy Crystal Ball.

She also has Winds of Fate Ability that lets her draw and discard a card once per Turn if another model within 6" draws a card and Zoraida WILL be drawing cards. Either via her Bewitch Attack Action or via Visions, which comes from Crystall Ball Upgrade.

Her both Attack Actions inflict debuffs and will automatically be successful against Voodoo Doll.

A ton more interesting models. Mancha Roja, Trixiebelle, Whiskey Golem, Bayou Gators...

Another model that you definitely should give a look (Neverborn model thought) are Waldgeists - very durable models great for Squatter's Rights Strategy for example.

Nurse as well.

Some tips regarding models that you already own:

Francois LaCroix' (Francois can be hired only in Gremlins faction due to the fact that he is not Swampfiend nor has Wp 4 or lower.) Rough Rider Attack Action has Trigger called :crowLoose Trigger that allows him to suffer 1 damage and perform Rough Rider again... and again... and again... and... this is the point where you are probably going to run out of high :crow cards on your hand to cheat, so... Wait, what is that? Francois LaCroix is a Henchman and thus can burn a Soulstone to add :crow to his final duel total? OK.

Zoraida can Obey Rami LaCroix to get Focused +1 Condition, he then activates and uses his Reckless Ability, shoots (36" range, :+fate to Attack and Damage), focuses and shoots again.

Rapahel LaCroix is much better in Gremlins due to Dirty Cheater Upgrade. You will want him to have between 2 and 4 Wd. That is the sweet spot where Reckless doesn't make him suffer 1 damage (so he now basically has 3 AP) and gets :+fate to his Damage Flips. The important part is that he has Hard to Kill Ability.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Nurses and Moonshinobi is quite a pairing (on paper). Definitely worth a go. The Nurses can give the Shinobis  :+fate on all duels and armor +2, not bad. 

the problem is that by giving them the :+fate  you are actually giving them :-fate because of their Drunken Fu rule.

the problem is that by giving them the :+fate  you are actually giving them :-fate because of their Drunken Fu rule.

Yeah, like z said, it's the other way around. Normally, the downside to the Nurse's Armor is  :-fate  on all duels which is a rather large bonus for Shinobi.

Thanks Z

on the topic of Zoraida. she is probably the only Master I am not (currently) considering for my Gremlins.

Would you say that she is the go-to solution for any type of scheme, or can she be proxied in efficiency by others (Brewie, Wong, Mah, Sommer)?

Thanks Z

on the topic of Zoraida. she is probably the only Master I am not (currently) considering for my Gremlins.

Would you say that she is the go-to solution for any type of scheme, or can she be proxied in efficiency by others (Brewie, Wong, Mah, Sommer)?

I don't think that she's a must-have but she does allow access to Waldgeists which provide something unique to the Gremlins (extreme staying power and insane Ml reach).

Hey Guys,

I'm completely new to the game and got my self gremlins. Currently participating in my first League/Tournament with them. I have the following:

Somer Crew

4 Extra Bayout Gremlins

Burt Jenkins

2 Slop Haulers

Now I'm looking into the Kin for more sticky models but I have one concern. At the cards in the Arsenal deck it is mentioned they are all Ht1 but looking at them they look similar height as Somer (based on Youtube). Is the difference in Ht that much noticeable and does it cause problems based on your Experience.

Cheers,

uBaH

Heh... The Ht oddity doesn't bug me, but I also know how to adjust the Kin so they're "correct". If it's something you want to worry about, the legs on the Kin glue together like L shaped Tetris pieces. If you just cut the vertical bits off, then glue the feet to the legs, they're the "right" side.

As for roles, I'm going to argue that Zoraida fills Brewmaster's role, but way better. They're both board control, they're both positioning masters, so you go for them with Squatters rights and... That Joker one that I'm blanking on. They both have Obey (Raida's better), Raida's defenses are arguably better, the mix of models you have can handle more situations.

Now I'm looking into the Kin for more sticky models but I have one concern. At the cards in the Arsenal deck it is mentioned they are all Ht1 but looking at them they look similar height as Somer (based on Youtube). Is the difference in Ht that much noticeable and does it cause problems based on your Experience.

No, there's no problem with the scale of the Kin versus Somer who's not even standing up straight. Compare him to the stick-thin Rami, for example.

The Young La Croix on the other hand... :)

As for other models, Gracie and Burt are built for each other. Slippery and his Tome triggers, along with her armor, make them a great pair.