Countering Ressers

docbungle

During crew build.

I'm making the assumption that we are all good enough players that we would not focus on destroying an opponent's corpse markers if they aren't actually using them.

This is true. While destroying Corpses can hinder some Masters awfully, some others don't need them at all. Those who do bring at least some way to generate their own. It can be a hindrance but it isn't automatically. Kirai, Tara, Molly and Poison-bomb McM couldn't care less about corpses, and Yan Lo doesn't use tham all that much, too.

The worry with the Freikorps versus incorporeal is that the Librarian is required to do most of the heavy lifting. 

"The" Librarian? Doesn't every self respecting Freikorps player have at least 2 with Hannah?! I like throwing up an unstoppable wall of heals and HtK with VS and his crew. Then I just Furiously Cast the utter crap out of anything without a pulse. Johana always makes the cut for those pesky Hanged, in fact if Johana almost always makes my Outcast crews, pretty much every time, that's just good gaming! Ocassionally when I want to play a totally fluffy list (Tara or VS) I'll leave her at home but even without condition removal at 6ss Johana is a total steal! 

"The" Librarian? Doesn't every self respecting Freikorps player have at least 2 with Hannah?!

Maybe! I can't recall ever seeing an opponent put two Librarians on the table, but I haven't seen any Freikorps for a while - it may simply have been that nobody owned two Librarians until recently (I sold my second Librarian because Viktoria only ever needs one).

Hannah and two Librarians are a big chunk of points in a relatively small number of models, especially if you also want the regular Freikorps go-to choices like the Strongarm Suit or Lazarus, and Trappers, and Johanna. Against Ressers, I'd be pretty scared of running into a McMourning list, or getting spam-Lured into a Nicodem blender mob.

What else do you normally take to support the Research Team?

In my experience you take Hannah or Lazarus or SAS and still take all the other toys you need. If it's reckoning you generally can hire 2 or maybe even all 3 and still do pretty well. Here's a list I ran a while back to give you an idea of what I use if I go for the "Research Team". 

Von Schill -- 5 Pool
 +Survivalist [1]
 +The Shirt Comes Off [1]

Steam Trunk [3]
Freikorps Librarian [7]
Freikorps Librarian [7]
Freikorps Trapper [6]
Freikorpsmann [5]
Hannah [10]
Johan [6]

Vs. (something along these lines)

Yan Lo -- 7 Pool
 +Reliquary [1]

Soul Porter [3]
Ashigaru [5]
Chiaki the Niece [6]
Izamu the Armor [10]
 +Decaying Aura [2]
Onryo [5]
Onyro [5]
Toshiro the Daimyo [9]
 +Command the Graves [1]

This list was for a Turf War game. I didn't lose a single model whilst he lost quite a lot of models. All the Ancestors (except Yin who wasn't hired) were dead fairly quickly. Turns out 7 Ancient Words in one turn is more than enough to smash pretty much anything! Oh and Von Schill just utterly crushes Izamu in combat :D I just sat my entire crew in the middle except the Freikorpsmann who ran Power Ritual. Everything had HtK or a variant of that whilst being healed by the Trunk or Librarians. Protect Territory was also easily achieved whilst VS, Hannah, Librarians and the Trapper just hammered everything to death. Johana was basically there to remove Adversary and Chi (Which is hilarious by the way! :D)
  • Like 2

I don't want to be mean to your opponent but your list looks much better designed for Turf War. Ressers can get way filthier than that. :P

The Research Team seems like a cool idea, though - thematic and fairly effective.

Yeah I told him to borrow my Nico but he was adamant he wanted Yan Lo. So I punished him for his decision ;)

The Reseach Team is just plain dirty in a Hardcore Game / Henchman Games. 

The List I refer to as "Come at me bro!"

Hannah

Freikorps Librarian

Freikorps Librarian

Johana

Another version which kind of works similarly to the FK list I posted above is

Taelor

Johana

Freikorps Librarian

Ronin

Both just utterly trash in HC games

• Like 1

Nix is obviously pretty cool if you run into a poison-bomb, though I'd argue he's still nowhere near as effective as the Ashes & Dust in that situation. His Hollow upgrade could be very powerful against Ressers (preventing damage from :aura, :pulse and :blast effects is potentially game-changing against some Resser crews), but other than that he's not particularly synergistic for the price you pay - in a non-Hamelin crew you're unlikely to get much mileage out of Blighted.

The other Nihilists don't offer much that helps specifically against Ressers, though a Rat Pack is basically always a good investment. Much more than that, though, and you'll have to start asking yourself why you aren't just running Hamelin instead - he will always have better synergy with his own theme than anyone else, and he's pretty solid against most Ressers (he can beat Nicodem at the attrition game, he's resistant to McMourning's poison garbage, and so on... he's really not fond of Molly, though).

• Like 1

I honestly dont have probs with ressers but its prob because i run vics when they are declared. Add taelor and johan(a) and make sure you take the mark of Shez and then salt the rest of the crew to strat. Blood and taelor or more than cabable to keep the summoner on the back foot and are far less card intesive than the summoning itself. Just make sure the rest of your crew do the jobs they were brought for (scheme running wretches, gunslingin convicts...whatever).

I honestly dont have probs with ressers but its prob because i run vics when they are declared. Add taelor and johan(a) and make sure you take the mark of Shez and then salt the rest of the crew to strat. Blood and taelor or more than cabable to keep the summoner on the back foot and are far less card intesive than the summoning itself. Just make sure the rest of your crew do the jobs they were brought for (scheme running wretches, gunslingin convicts...whatever).

Yeah... a careful Molly can destroy the Viks pretty easily, in my experience. They also hate Resser Tara rather a lot - a Killjoy special will totally ruin their day. They do absolutely wreck Nicodem, Kirai and McMourning, and can be hard for Seamus to deal with if his player isn't used to them. No idea how they do against Yan Lo, but I expect they'd be fine.

• Like 1

Taelor is tough to get good value out of as a summoning counter, since she's not that tough and has to expose herself to get good value. I think as a model for Tara to throw into the fray, she'd be awesome though (her hammer counters a lot of tough things and can cause a pile of damage, and after she's gone, she stuffs up summoning a bit).

How come? :)

The Viks rely pretty heavily on 'kill or be killed' to survive, and they really hate AoE damage. Molly can survive their initial assault through a combination of decent Df, Impossible to Wound, soulstones and Masterful Dead as required - if you're expecting and planning for an assault, she's one of the most survivable Masters in the game - then retaliate with summons that don't require corpses, force duels and occasionally deal damage as part of the summoning process, can be immediately obeyed/companioned and if all else fails, can simply get up close and spray Black Blood.

It's still a pretty risky strat (as is any tactic that relies on "survive an assault from the Viks"), I just find that Molly in particular has the right combination of toughness and counter-punch to pull it off. Nicodem and McMourning, for example, have truckloads of counter-punch but just can't survive against the Viks, and they lack the easy answer of automatic pulse damage (which the Viks absolutely hate).

As for Viks vs Rezzers next time I would go with this:

Ash - Sisters in Spirit, Sisters in Fury, Synch Slaying

Blood - Mark, Oathkeeper

Vanessa

Librarian

Sue

Johana

Malifaux Child

2x Void Wretch

Slingshot death, CA shooting, anti-CA defense, healing, condition removal, 2 scheme runners.

Funnily enough I tried a random list against Nico list last night.

Trying a few things out (gunline and non-slingshot viks)

Ashes

- I pay Better

- Oathkeeper

- Survivalist

Blood

- Mark

- Oathkeeper

Lazrus

Hans

- Scout the field

2x Trappers

Taelor

I was really surprised how well the list did, would have liked a way to get Taelor up quicker. But Scout the Field on Hans is horrible (removed Vulture turn one) and he would have done more had I remembered he can shoot in engagment :(

Strat was Guard stash and I had protect terriotory and deliver a message. I did find I needed Johan for the condition removal (bloody Hanged).

While Taelor proved to be sufficent threat to summoning, which I had not considered before

• Like 1