Lokis Neverborn

-Loki-

Hi all

I got into Malifaux when the new plastics won me over. There's the odd metal in the range I like, but overall I wasn't a fan. With 2Es plastics, I decided to jump in. Also, after painting drab military colours for Infinity, I wanted to try my hand at some more vibrant Fantasy painting, and also have a chance to play with some of the technical paints out there. My painting isn't fantastic, I mostly try to get it to the point where it looks good on the table.

First, I've been working on Liliths crew. This was my chance to play with blood effects. It took me a while to get the hang of it, and the Tots I definitely went overboard on one of them, but overall I'm enjoying the effect.

Lilith. I'm trying to figure out how to finish her off.
657082_sm-.jpg

I'm trying to figure out how to finish her off. I want a PVC look to the red, so any tips on how to highlight it would be appreciated.

Terror Tots
637033_sm-.jpg

Barbaros
657086_sm-.jpg

Cherub
657088_sm-.jpg

Young Nephilm (WIP)
657084_sm-.jpg
666469_sm-.jpg

These guys still need the blood effect applied.

Right now I'm finishing up the Mature and metal Tuco. After that, the plastic Nekima, then probably onto Dreamers crew.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work.  I briefly thought that the blood splatter was meant to be some sort of war-paint on the Tots (which would also have been quite cool), but I like the effect.  Looks like Barbaros has been a bit neater with his work.  What will you do with Lilith?  It seems like the blood splatter will clash a little with her red clothing.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the no replies. Shortly after I posted this, I wound up having surgery. I've been recovering for a while, and it really killed my enthusiasm to paint. I've been doing a bit of terrain contruction to get back into hobbying, and recently finished off a few models for other systems that were in progress beforehand. Now I'm finishing a model that was WIP before, my Mature Nephilim. Some stuff left to do - horns, wings, metal bands, plus sealing and blood.

719921_sm-.jpg

Nice work.  I briefly thought that the blood splatter was meant to be some sort of war-paint on the Tots (which would also have been quite cool), but I like the effect.  Looks like Barbaros has been a bit neater with his work.  What will you do with Lilith?  It seems like the blood splatter will clash a little with her red clothing.

Lilith is mostly going to have the effect aded to the sword. I'd imagine she'd be a bit neater with her killing than some hungry Nephilim.

• 4 weeks later...

Took a break from the Nephilim. All that blue was starting to grate on me.

This weekend I was bashing out these. I thought about going a level or two brighter on the green, but wanted to go for a darker overall tone. I feel it worked well on the Sorrows, but not so well on the Poltergeist. Live and learn.

726419_sm-.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

So a bit of progress. Lately I've not been in the mood to paint, so I've been doing little bits to finish models while I get back into the painting groove. Plus I found out that there's a local henchman trying to kickstart the Malifaux scene that died around here with 2E's release, so I want to finish some dudes and paint more because I prefer to game with fully painted stuff. The biggest thing slowing me down was the weather - I've had all this stuff waiting on dullcote but the weathers either been way too hot, way too humid, way too windy, or a combination of all three.

Finished Young Nephilim. These guys were waiting on dullcote and blood. They got both.

788213_sm-.jpg

788214_sm-.jpg

Sorrows and Poltergeist. They've just been waiting on dullcote.

788215_sm-.jpg

788216_sm-.jpg

Baby Kade got dullcoted and blood. I didn't want to go overboard, I wanted to try the creepy handprint in blood thing.

788218_sm-.jpg

788219_sm-.jpg

788220_sm-.jpg

Work in progress. I have been doing a bit. The Mature Nephilim has had its horns done (they were stalling me for ages because I couldn't figure out how to do them) and its wings are in progress. Then it's done. Nekima, who I'm enjoying painting even though I'm not terribly good at skin. Teddy is getting there. I'm contemplating one step lighter on his fur, but I like the darker look. Chompy is having his seams green stuffed, as is Pandora (the irritating seam that splits her dress on the back). Candy is in progress.

788222_sm-.jpg

Also built these because we need terrain and I'm super lazy with terrain, so pre pritned stuff was a great alternative. They're so much bigger than I expected.

788223_sm-.jpg

• Like 5

Yeah they're from Plastcraft, their ColorED range. It's foamed PVC (basically plasticard type material) that's textured and colour printed. So the bricks not only look like bricks, but have the grout lines pressed in.

Basically, I'm super slow when it comes to painting miniatures, but I just don't like painting terrain at all. So the chance to do Malifaux boards at home with pre coloured terrain is a huge plus.

Well this was a surprise. I ordered a mat a while ago, and thought I had it shipping to my fiancees parents house like usual. Seems they sent it to my billing address and luckily, I'm on annual leave from work so I was actually home. Ordered from Playmats.eu, who print double sided, and also on request print the M2E objectives and deployment markings.

Swamp (Dark Island) side.
788813_sm-.jpg

Victorian Cobblestone side.
788814_sm-.jpg

• Like 2

Well, I folowed the art and didn't do the pupils. I'm terrible at eyes, and the absolute worst part is the pupils, so any chance to skip that I'll take. Then it's just painting the black, correcting it, painting the white, correcting it. I'm starting to experiment with washes instead of pure black for the edges of the eyes, as the pure black is too stark.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a game against my brothers Ten Thunders last night. Really fun. Was running Pandora, The Box Opens, Fears Given Form, Widow Weaver, Handbag, Baby Kade, Candy and two Sorrows. My brother was running Yan Lo, Izamu, Toshiro, the Lone Swordsman, a Thunder Archer, a Thunder Brother and a Katanaka Sniper.

The funny bit was the summons we thought we would get (Komainu for him, Teddy for me) never happened. I went with Handbag because it was Turf War and I figured with everyone bunched in the middle I should get it off, but it never happened. Very fun game though. Yan Lo and the Lone Swordsman dominated the middle because I moved Pandora and the Widow Weaver off to a flank where the Thunder Brother, sniper and archer were. I really, really, really love those two as a tag team. Weaver drops web markers, Pandora just dominates duels. Here's a few pictures, played on my new mat (with handy M2E deployment and objective markings and plastcraft terrain, with a ruin provided by my brother and scallop shell from my nephew (we're a bit low on Malifaux terrain).

Also the game taught me to not concede because your stuff is nearly all dead. At the end all I had left was a nearly dead Pandora and Candy, and the Widow Weaver. I won 2-1. In hindsight, I would have been better off running one Sorrow, Mysterious Effigy and putting Depression on Kade.

796760_sm-.jpg

796761_sm-.jpg

796762_sm-.jpg

• Like 4