Iron Quill- Ivory

edonil

Hey everyone, it's that time again- story time! Can't wait to see what you all come up with. :)

The Iron Quill is a writing contest that takes place every month where the winner receives a free random box set from Wyrd. It’s an exciting competition and a great place to hone your skills and get some constructive feedback.

The Rules

• You must post your story in The Writing Room by the submission date with the following posting format: Iron Quill – Name of the round – Name of your story. Nothing else is needed to sign up, but please post in this thread with a link to your story when completed.
  • Your story must be no more than 1,750 words and be a self-contained story set in the world of Malifaux.
  • Any story must include at least two of the Ingredients for the current round. When you use the ingredients, keep in mind they don't need to be literal, please feel free to be creative with them!
As the stories are completed, this post will be updated to contain a listing of all the submissions. You are welcome to edit your story up until the submission date.

Winning

The winner will be selected by overall score, as determined by two methods:

• A public poll will be created where anyone can vote on their favorite story. Each vote is worth 1 point. Authors of submissions can vote in this way.
  • A private poll of the authors where they pick their favorite story and a runner-up. These votes are weighted; the favorite story gets 3 points, the runner-up gets 2 points. These votes should be submitted to me by forum PM.
All votes must be submitted by the voting date or they won’t count for scoring. You cannot vote for your own submission. If you are an author, you must submit votes for the private poll or you will be disqualified.

Name of the Round: Ivory

Submission Date: March 10th, 2015, 23:59 EST

Voting Date: March 13th, 2015, 23:59 EST

Ingredients:

• Theme: Ivory Tower
  • Character: The Last Survivor
  • Line: Sharp as a razor, soft as breath..
  • Item: An undelivered letter.
The competition starts now!
  • Like 2

Um. Far as I know, there isn't all that much. Through the Breach might have some details, but basically the interpretation I've operated under (including while writing for Crossroads) is that you don't see the timeline diverge too much until the opening of the First Breach. Before that, magic was real and possible but it became more and more difficult to cast Earthside until the discovery of Soulstones in Malifaux. When the First Breach closed, the Guild was eventually formed in the chaos to regulate the limited supplies of Soulstones that had made it to Earth, since they were now the only source of magic left. The Guild has 'member states'- countries that accept the Guild's control and policies in exchange for some sovereignty and Soulstone access.

How exactly the timeline diverged during those hundred years? Unknown in detail. There is reference to the Black Powder Wars in The Fated Almanac, where you had effectively a world war that went from 1798-1814. They ended with the formation of the Guild, which was a nation neutral organization that went on control Soulstones world wide, gaining a great deal of political leverage as it did so. In the US, however, slavery continued on possibly without the interruption of the Civil War, as implied in Ironsides' bio in Crossroads, since she's the daughter of escaped slaves whose mother was executed by the Guild for being an escaped slave. Since Ironsides (by appearance) seems to be in her early thirties at most, slavery is still legal in at least the country she's from during the late 1870s, long after it had originally ended.

Additionally, it seems that East Asia allied together into one power during the Black Powder Wars, rather than being colonized by the various European powers, as evidenced by the existence of the Three Kingdoms and the various traditions shown in their background (Storm of Shadows and the M2e books reference things of Japanese and Chinese origins).

Other thing of note is that the Breach, wherever it is (implied to be a city) leveled the surrounding country side when it first appeared, but there's no nailed down information of its Earthside home that I know of.

• Like 1

Here's my second rewrite.  Big thanks to Haunter for some great ideas.

Due to everyone's help and encouragement, this story has turned into something I'm really proud of.  I would love to hear your thoughts on the current version.

Word Count:  1750

Ingredients Used:  All except "Sharp as a razor, soft as a breath."

After being seduced by Malifaux, lurking on the boards since the turn of the year and painting around 20 miniatures I thought I'd also have a bash at this.  This is the first story I've written in almost 20 years but I have definitely used at least 2 of the ingredients and brought it in at 1750 words (I was surprised to find I struggled with the word count and ended up having to leave out  a few of my ideas and thoughts just to stay within the limit).

I really enjoyed writing it and hope you enjoy reading it.  You can find it here.

After being seduced by Malifaux, lurking on the boards since the turn of the year and painting around 20 miniatures I thought I'd also have a bash at this.  This is the first story I've written in almost 20 years but I have definitely used at least 2 of the ingredients and brought it in at 1750 words (I was surprised to find I struggled with the word count and ended up having to leave out  a few of my ideas and thoughts just to stay within the limit).

I really enjoyed writing it and hope you enjoy reading it.  You can find it here.

• Like 2