new player looking for advice on starting ten thunders :)

hi guys, i've been casualy playing malifaux on and off over the past two years but now that more of my friends are playing it i'm starting to think about playing the game more and playing different factions and i thought i'd start ten thunders :) and want some advice on what each master brings to the table, which would suite my play style and which would be the most fun to play.  i have picked up yan lo more on the pretence of a resurectionist master but was curious what he does in and for ten thunders.  :) my main faction is resurectionist, with kirai having been my first master and having the most table time :) any advice and imput is greatly apreciated.

I was looking at how to build for the ten thunders masters. I haven't been able to find the crew list for misaki either, is there a specific way to build for certain schemes as well :) sorry if the message isn't composed the best was being bothered by a large fluffy mammal :P

I also like to run Misaki with the Samurai. it does depend on strats and such, but with their new upgrades they are extremely versatile. I also like the the dawn serpent. And both of these models look really great next to misaki and her crew. =]

also, Oiran and 10T archers are amazing. I don't always take them, but i am always glad to have them when i do! XD

Oh and you'd have to proxy him since he isn't actually out yet… but the Lone Swordsman has always been worth his soulstones in my games. Not an auto include quite yet, but he is well on his way to it. 

• Like 1

Good Misaki advice already.......Yan Lo can play as 10T with just his normal stuff (Him, totem, Chiaki, Izamu, Toshiro, Yin...with Ashigaru or Komainu to fill) I've found him pretty darn versatile and able to compete in any situation...Recalled Training is good on Izamu and there's a wave 2, Master upgrade that goes well  I'm sorry I forget the name, but it allows the master to push a friendly model and the master gets a push at the end of the turn....early game Yan Lo isn't usually doing much so between him and the Soul Porter you can get Izamu into the fray very quickly.

Hi Jeremy, can you expand on Oiran being amazing, even fast and focused (via the upgrade) i don't see what they do?

Oirans have the ability to lock down opponents with their trigger with "No Witnesses". There has been so many times I have cheated into a important figure with that ability. This is especially important if the figure has some type of ranged ability (not casted).  With an archer that is within range this makes it even better because the archer ignores penalty of blocking figures and in melee. The only option that the figure can do is chance a disengaging strike that you can cheat into that wastes a high card or  their actions.  Also don't disregard the Poison +1 hit, the additional dmg is sometimes the difference between a model surviving and dying a slow death.  A triggered "Hard to kill model" becomes dead at end of turn so you don't have to waste another models activation on it. Oh and it stacks.

Also while the Lure has a high cost that doesn't mean it doesn't work.  My favorite example was when Sonnia Criid cast Inferno on herself so that she could kill Misaki. Since Sonnia melee is only 2 in. I was able to lure Misaki out of range without a disengaging strike.  One Archer shot later "Baby your a Firework" that hit no one for 6 dmg.

In addition your talking about hidden agenda upgrade. The additional focus and attack gives better chance at hitting and an additional stack of poison. Also if your running a Last Blossom crew and have the Smoke and shadows you can set up a line of Smoke bombs that blocks line of sight that completely shuts down ranged attacks LOS allowing your crew to move forward with out problems. Unless your facing a back alley shooter.

• Like 1

Well, Dev kind of covered my reasoning (thank you sir!) but I will still weigh in since you asked. I play against Outcasts most of the time, namely Von Schil and Viks, both who tend to end up with lots of shooty-ness to their crews. It is awesome to be able to lure someone closer to my stuff. Especially with the Torkage being better on their own, positioning is just so important. So I use the lure when I can. On top of that, the "No Witnessess" trigger is tough to beat when you have a gunline moving toward you. And hidden agenda... maybe it's situational, but I do like it a lot.

Thanks gents,

food for thought, I guess my issue is with nothing built in they don't seem to do any of that reliably.

They do the things on the front of their card reliably, and with said upgrades they do the things on the back okay. I think that's reasonable for their cost.

The big thing with Oiran is that so long as you have the upgrade go off, you're getting 5ss models with 3 action points. In terms of strategies and schemes, that's incredible. That these 3AP models have a +1 WP aura is amazing too. The lure is a nice tool to have in various situations, and along with the speed. Disguised makes it hard for them to get tracked down. With some mid masks, you can drag around your models (or lure enemy models if they don't cheat because you miss the suit).

Overall, I don't think as a generalist choice, Oiran outweigh 10T bros. That's because the 10T bros are probably the best 5ss models in the game. But there's certainly situations where you'll already be taking either a fast combat model or a ranged model that has an upgrade slot free. In those situations, the upgrade is a pure advantage (particularly if you have promises around). 

With smoke and shadows added to the mix, the Oiran become a very appealing choice.

• Like 1