Katanaka Snipers?

rythos42

I wrote the OP while being pressured into going into a meeting. :P I should've held on a moment.

I primarily play Mei, so the Arcanist/TT comparison is an easy one to make, despite them being different factions. I'm trying to keep an eye out for opportunities to try TT. I like the models, so I looked up the rules and my initial impression was that I'd rather have a December Acolyte, which isn't a great place to start.

They are pretty great to my eyes. They can sit back on your side of the table going for 28" shots or go in close to deal damage with the Katana. Both attacks have positives so it's a case of the potential to hit higher number on an attack or hitting higher number in general by flipping more cards. Also remember the Snipers have Hard to Kill making them FAR more survivable. Granted, no immunity to Paralyzed but with a high Wp of 6 that's not often going to be an issue anyway. They are also faster than Acolytes so don't have to rely on getting the push trigger to reposition. Lastly they have Critical Strike which will pack a strong punch if you're using Focus for positives on damage.

They are utterly insane snipers, 28" range, :+fate attack flips and a decent damage track. You'd like to think if you engage them in combat you'd be safe and able to stop their ranged threat... you'd be wrong, they are killers in combat as well. They aren't there to give out slow. That's the icing on the cake which I might add is very VERY tasty to begin with. 

Also unlike December Acolytes we have ways to give them fast, Reactivation, able to do a (0) action focus, focus from another model, and a little more push options I think.  With Shenlong and one of his peasants it is not hard for you to get 2 Focused shots a turn with a sniper.  So two shots with 28" range, double positive to hit, single positive to damage, and possible critical strike.  Often I have heard Arcanist players comment about the fact that with their 12" range many people will expend the resources to engage to kill the Acolyte once it gets range because its range attack is so good.  That is harder with a 14-28" range and might take more resources.  Also unlike the Acolytes if shooting at a target in Hard Cover the Sniper has a bit easier time doing more damage as it gets the positive to cancel that out and the negative on damage is less of an issue, in turn the Acolyte in the case of hard cover often has to focus and then shoot thus only getting one shot.

That is not to say that Acolytes are not good, I certainly would love access to them in my factions.  But the one of the advantages the sniper has over them is the different sort of faction that 10T is compared to Arcanist.

Mmm, interesting! Thanks EV, that was a comprehensive reason. My December Acolyte has seen less table-time recently because of exactly what you say - the 12" range is close enough for my opponents to try to deal with him.

I picked up a pack of the TT Brothers and getting the free Sniper model, so I'm hoping to try out TT, and this is all a good start!

• 3 weeks later...

I played one in 2/3 of the games in a tournament the other day and he was crazy even with no focus on him. In my first game he killed the Weaver Widow turn 2 and then picked off sorrows and other small annoyances. in my second game he was less stellar vs the Yan Lo crew but the enemy hated him.  It is a toss up between him and the archer for me only because the archer does not randomize in hand to hand, which is great for me because I tend to get into it quickly.

These are close to a December Acolyte, guess why I am D_Acolyte, but I use them differently. I can kill a model with the December Acolyte but more often then not I shoot 2 different models to spread around the built in slow where with the Katanaka Snipers I choose a model and try and kill it as much as possible and always go for critical strike. If you want some one to give slow and do a little damage go with the Archers even though they do not have from the shadows.