UKGT 2015 Dates

OldManMyke

Hey,

Just a query about the Pazerfaux format. Does this not allow players with large collections to sidestep the weakness of their faction? For example, as a resser player reckoning is a tricky strat imo, as we like to cover the board in bodies (dead ones of course). But if I can take Nicodem AND Perdita/Justice/Levi? 

Also, I usually play 1 or 2 tournaments a month on average (basically as many as the Wife will allow :lol:) and I've never come across this format. Has it been used enough to know it won't give some players an unfair advantage. Or indeed, give players using it an unfair disadvantage? If not, I don't think the GT is the place to test it out given its prominence in the Malifaux event calendar.

And just for context, I'm saying this as a player who owns every master for Guild, ressers and Neverborn.

Regards,

Martin

• Like 1

Martin

Could make quite a difference if people doing panzerfaux have to declare a master before knowing what the strat and schemes will be. For the better IMO.

The issue of competitive creep has largely be taken care of by the requirement to announce faction prior crew selection. 

Ah cool, never came across it, but I find the idea quite intriguing (not that I have anything other than Outcasts). And advantages/disadvantages work both ways. If my opponent declares trinity I have a 1 in 3 chance to guess which Master he's taking. Whatever that's worth. 

I also think the whole discussion whether it gives an advantage or not is maybe not that relevant:

How many people win events (like the last GT) using only one Master for all games anyway? And not hiding the fact they are using only that one Master?

And with seven games, we'll also likely see each (well, almost) strategy - especially if Turf War/Extraction and Recon/Interference are not doubled up. 

. And advantages/disadvantages work both ways. If my opponent declares trinity I have a 1 in 3 chance to guess which Master he's taking. Whatever that's worth. 

Given what was said on twitter yesterday this isn't how it would work.  You declare the three masters (and their respective faction in the case of a dual faction masters) and must then declare the faction for each game prior to crew selection.  If you take masters from three different factions you are effectively declaring your master prior to each game.

I agree over a seven match tournament (with the control measure outlined above) the trinity option shouldn't be disruptive to the tournament as a whole.  If there is going to be a problem it is likely to be on individual games where having 3 (at the high end of the power curve) very different masters may increase asymmetrical  matchups where the game is almost over at the point of crew deployment.  Hopeful the control measures cripple this option sufficiently that this doesn't occur too much.

Have decided to release the strats / schemes beforehand so no excuses for not getting a crew picked and the game started within the specified time frame

Cheers Mike, the mentally less agile appreciate the concession, we will endeavor to get our shit together and play less slowly..

So yeah... that all happened.

I'm not a fan of releasing both Strats AND Schemes ahead of the tournament. But this argument has been gone over so many times, I don't think a consensus will ever be met. So I'll just live that there.

Allowing the use of the Crossroads 7 as a crew is nice. They are new, cool, and very nice to look at. I've not really seen much about them being played as an entire crew, but from what I have seen they seem pretty well balanced (if anything, a little weak in areas).

Dual Faction master being able to be played as either faction. Again, fine. If you want to limit yourself to a single master for all 7 Strats, you had better know how to use that master well. Being able to choose from a larger pool of models makes life easier, but it's still going to be a decent challenge. Top marks to anyone pulling of decent results doing this, I have respect for your skills (and anyone playing single master, single faction of course).

Now... the Trinity. The well tested (at 1, possibly 2 events...) format. I think if this is the way you want the game to be played, then you just make it Open Faction or the entire tournament. Play every game like a pick up game down the club, and run through the standard set up stages in the rulebook. However, I don't think the Trinity is a decent and fair way to pick your crew before a game in this format. 

For example, I could take Colette (all the scheme markers), Dreamer (all the models), Leveticus (fill in the blanks). Those 3, entirely unrelated masters can cover every eventuality (ignoring the fact that we have announced Strats and Schemes). Ok, your opponent will be able to recognise what master you are picking for the game (especially with announcing faction...), but you are going to have one of the best crews possible for that particular Strat and Scheme Pool.

You are leaving it so open for someone to be able to abuse the system, and pick the 3 masters that are best suited for the 7 pre-announced games. I don't think it is close to being in line with Gaining Grounds 2015, and seeing as this is supposed to be a Wyrd sanctioned event, the premiere Malifaux event of the year in the UK, the largest every Malifaux tournament in the World... you would think something more in line with what Wyrd say is a fair set up competitive rules would be used.

If this was just another tournament in the year, I would be fine with everything in that rulespack. I would even be fine with announcing all the Strats and Schemes beforehand. But the combination of things going on here, all within what is supposed to be a Wyrd sanctioned event just feels odd to me.

Don't get me wrong though... I am really looking forward to going, and I am sure I will have an amazing time. It just doesn't feel right to me.

• Like 6

I completely agree with the above regarding trinity. For any other event I'd be reasonably cool about it, but I feel for the premiere event for the community of the year, the game should be played as intended by its creators i.e. GG. I don't understand the need or desire to change things up especially for a tournament of this size/stature. In addition I don't think it's fair to do so after people have signed up and paid for the tournament, were this part of the plan from the outset everyone would've known what the deal was when they signed up.

I also believe that the combination of Trinity with pre announced schemes and strats is completely wrong. I'm not going to get into an argument about pre announced pools (has been done many times elsewhere) but the fact that you can not only tailor lists from your faction to the scheme beforehand, but actually pick the best masters in the game for the specific strats to me just doesn't sit right with me. As far as I'm aware the game is reasonably balanced between factions not masters therefore playing with the hiring restrictions is a strange decision and as Martin has said, removes the skill of mitigating specific factions weaknesses.

Anyway that's my 2 pennies, I'm sure nothing will change anyway but just wanted to post my feelings on the matter.

• Like 3

I think it would be a shame if you stepped down as TO for this event Mike. And I'm sorry if anything I've said has upset you.

However, this is an event that many, many people in the Malifaux community in the UK love. I know its the highlight of my gaming year. As such I think its only right that people are able to put forward their thoughts on the format, as long as its done in a constructive, polite and respectful way.

I will be happy to see it change to a more GG format, but a bit sad if you're not running it.

Regards,

Martin

• Like 2

I think it would be a shame if you stepped down as TO for this event Mike. And I'm sorry if anything I've said has upset you.

However, this is an event that many, many people in the Malifaux community in the UK love. I know its the highlight of my gaming year. As such I think its only right that people are able to put forward their thoughts on the format, as long as its done in a constructive, polite and respectful way.

I will be happy to see it change to a more GG format, but a bit sad if you're not running it.

Regards,

Martin

I very much second that statement.

• Like 2