Mei Feng list options

HiveCommander

Hey all,

I just got Mei Feng and her crew mostly painted and I'm hoping to give her a shot for the first time tonight. Outside of the Rail Crew box, what stuff does she like to bring?

What I've got (excluding the Rail Crew box):

-3 Metal Gamin

-9 Spiders

-1 Spider Swarm

-Joss

-Langston

-Mech Rider

-LSA (Thankfully the Arsenal decks exist, since Ramos doesn't come with a card for his LSA :P)

-3 Ice Gamin

-3 December Acolytes

-Ice Golem

-Snowstorm

Metal Gamin sound like a given with how sturdy they are, and I could see Mei really liking Mech Rider (I don't think there's many Masters that don't appreciate Mech Rider in their list), but what others are good options?

I really enjoy steam arachnids with her as they can base up to a model, lowering their DF and them Mei can rail walk and make full effect of it. 

Another neat combo is to take Howard Langston and using his steam cloud to stack with Mei's vent steam giving most ranged attacks a  :-fate  :-fate , this can be situational, but if you have a good idea that you may be seeing a lot of range then it can be an effective combo. Plus he's a fast construct that Mei can rail walk to.

Thematically you have to with Willy. He doesn't necessarily synergies well with Mei, but he still has a lot of neat tricks that come in handy more often then not.

• Like 1

I like gunsmiths and Willy, especially pared with Kang, and fire gamin.  Mei and Karis have some synergies as they both like there enemy on fire. I find the number of constructs is good with 2-3 for rail walk so after that I would look at what you dislike in you enemy, such as armor, hard to wound, or numbers. I would also think about who is the henchman or enforcer you are taking with her, Kang rocks but Fire Starter is good for setting fire on models.

I tend to skip the Spiders with Mei. There are better 4ss Constructs for her, like Metal Gamin.

Spider Swarms are excellent if you see a lot of Scheme Marker Schemes. There's nothing quite like picking up 2-3 Markers that your opponent has painstaking set down, for a (0), while engaged.

A friend of mine has had extreme good use with the LSPAs, but we tend to think that they fill a similar role as the Rail Workers, which I prefer.

Langston, Joss and Mech Rider are obvious good choices all around. I tend to use the Rail Golem rather than Langston, after some early problems with him, but I keep thinking I should try Langston again since I have a better idea of how not to get him killed in Turn 2. :P

I've stopped using the Acolyte in my Mei lists. I tended to want him to do Schemey things early with his deployment, but instead he either wastes a turn in the corner doing nothing, or he dies when I try to use him unsupported. There is a difficult balance between using him and protecting him, and I find it easier to get a speedy model up there for Turn 3, rather than risking him. Great model, not necessarily great for me.

Firestarter as mentioned above, is a great speedy model, particularly with Imbued Energies.

Do you know your Strategy, Schemes, Opponents Faction/Master/Crew? A lot of this stuff is just "hey, this is generally useful", rather than any specific advice for specific purposes. Everything should have a purpose.

Ok, so I played out the game.

What I learnt: 

-Mei Feng is stupidly mobile. Being able to jump across 2-3 markers/constructs and then kick something in the face is crazy. Boy does she use up the deck fast though!

-Mei's defensive trigger is crazy-good, especially if for some reason the enemy model can't follow up if you move out of there.

-Mech Rider really is the most amazing model we have access to, and is quite literally 12SS for 3-6VPs depending on what schemes you flip.

-Rail Workers deal a lot more damage than I anticipated with their (0) action.

• Like 1

I love Silent Ones in every build ever. 6 stones for a model that can blast, heal people, recast, drop ice pillars, shoot while engaged, shoot into engagement, and ignore cover. Just. Brutal.

And if you add a metal gamin, you boost her 3df with statue df trigger to a 6df with statue. No burning synergy, but they can shoot into engagement with Mei to either free her up to jump elsewhere, or finish off something you didn't quite snuff out.

ENinja

-Mei Feng is stupidly mobile. Being able to jump across 2-3 markers/constructs and then kick something in the face is crazy. Boy does she use up the deck fast though!

-Mei's defensive trigger is crazy-good, especially if for some reason the enemy model can't follow up if you move out of there.

-Mech Rider really is the most amazing model we have access to, and is quite literally 12SS for 3-6VPs depending on what schemes you flip.

-Rail Workers deal a lot more damage than I anticipated with their (0) action.

Yes! I will often use my Rail Workers/Metal Gamin just as jump points - the more you have, the more flexibility you have in Mei's final position.

The defensive trigger is damn good, but can also be frustrating for the Mei player. Because the defender loses on a tie, if you have a 13 and your opponent has a 13, you can end up being super happy and thinking you'll definitely get away, but then they hit you anyway and you've wasted your 13. (Although, now they've also wasted their 13, but my brain tends to focus on my own card!)

Implacable Assault is ridiculously good. 

It's great when you flip the trigger in, although I ended up having the king mask in my hand 2 turns of the game which helped.

In one turn my opponent used a Nurse to buff the Judge's melee attacks who was in melee with Mei (I really underestimated how tough he is to take down) and accompliced into the Judge, so I threw the king mask out on his first attack for the push, which made a waste of 2 activations. Being able to do cool tricks like that is really neat.