Help me choose my first crew?

still-young

Hi guys, so lately I've been getting more and more into Malifaux, and I'm trying to pick which crew to start with. Trouble is, my hobby ADD is ridiculously bad, and I like pretty much all of them, so nailing one down to pick up is proving very difficult...

I know how vague this is, I don't really know what else to say to help narrow it down really. Just anything that goes some way to help me choose... Like are there any crews particularly suited to a beginner? Any which you would definitely avoid?

Sorry, I know I'm being less than helpful but really any help would be really appreciated.

Oh, and is there any way I can find players near me easily? My area is terrible for gaming.

ZFiend is absolutely right. Once you have learned the game, choosing a crew by your preferred playstyle is much easier, but until then, choosing by look and style is the best way to get you invested.

Here, the tactica wiki gives an overview of the Masters and factions: HERE.

Where are you based in the Uk?

There is quite a few players spread all over the country.

Sorry can't really help with crew selection, there isn't a wrong choice. Some may be harder than others to start with, some may cost more, but you'll probably find it easier to play a harder master you want to learn, than an easier one you don't

Where are you based in the Uk?

There is quite a few players spread all over the country.

Sorry can't really help with crew selection, there isn't a wrong choice. Some may be harder than others to start with, some may cost more, but you'll probably find it easier to play a harder master you want to learn, than an easier one you don't

I'm in Gosport, near Portsmouth but about half the week I'm at my girlfriends in Littlehampton, and neither place is great for gaming.

Lucius, Rasputina, Dreamer, Pandora, Zoraida, Leveticus, Von Schill is okay, Jack Daw

Out of those at the moment you can build a crew for Lucius, Pandora, Zoraida without missing any good or key models. Von Schill will be good to go with Hannah coming out next month.

The others.. Not so much.. They are missing some good models in plastics and the metals are good and gone from the market.

Yeah I know some of them aren't out yet. I think if the Dreamer box was out, I'd possibly start there... Do we have any idea when it is due?

Is there much crossover between crews? Like could I start say a Lucius or Pandora crew, and when Dreamer comes out play him with similar models?

Also, can Lucius take any Neverborn models? And can he take Neverborn and Guild models in one crew?

Dreamer and Pandora have a TON of cross over models. Not many of the models that come in either of their boxes, but all the stuff you will want to add crosses over really well (Lilitu, Teddy, Stitched, Insidious). The problem with starting Dreamer is you really need Stitched, Insidious, and the Twins. None of which are out in plastic. So it depends if you can find the metals or not. As someone who learned the game playing Dreamer it is complex but a lot of fun. 

Don't play Lucius but don't think there is a ton of cross over other than the minions that all neverborn masters love (Illuminated, Waldgeists, Silurids). Plus the Primordial Magic goes great with both Pandora and Lucius. I'd probably go with Pandora to start as she has all the models she needs out in plastic. Can expand into Lucius and Dreamer a bit later

I know Gosport, used to work in Fareham.

There used to be a portsmouth Club that played, btu not 100% sure where. I'll try and find out who they were I know Guildford and Bournemouth both have groups, but its a bit of a trek for a night.

From your list I would suggest lookign at the Neverborn faction. Dreamer is due out this year (hopefully, it was pre released at Gen con this year, certainly look out for the Black Friday sale next week). Lucius suffers from the minor down sied that his box set is largely Guild models that he can hire in Neverborn, so you don't get to boost otehr masters from the faction. Zoriada has vey useful models in her box, and Pandora makes use of a lot of the same support models that Dreamer and Lucius can want, although they aren't going to pick her box contents that often.

I bought lots of models because they looked good, uncertain of what I was going to play.

I finally sat down with the big rule book and read through the descriptions of the masters and some of their core crew members until I found a master that felt right for me.  IN my case Rasputina.  

Earlier comments that there is no wrong choice are basically correct.  Unless you don't actually enjoy playing the master.  I think Nico looks really cool, but I don't have a feel for playing him and can imagine enjoying the game if he was my master.

So my recommendation is to sit down with the big rule book and read the descriptions of all the masters you are interested in and any others you feel like reading.  When you find the description of a master who's gameplay attracts you as much as the artwork, you've found your first master.

I'm in Gosport, near Portsmouth but about half the week I'm at my girlfriends in Littlehampton, and neither place is great for gaming.

I've heard of a gaming community in Southampton if you Pompey types can stomach venturing within the City limits. I'm sure there is a couple of clubs there and at least one who dabble with Malifaux. If not, Hench-up (Apply for the Henchman program) and get yo butt down there!  :D

Failing that I attend a club called the Wessex Wyverns which is in Saint Leonards just outside of the New Forest which play all sorts of games. Malifaux included. I'm actually looking at setting up a beginner friendly slow grow league there in the new year. Should probably get my ass in gear and apply for the henchman program myself. I realize it's a bit of a trek from Gosport but there are members who travel some distance to attend a few times a month and it's worth checking out if you happen to be in the area on a Monday night. 

I've heard of a gaming community in Southampton if you Pompey types can stomach venturing within the City limits. I'm sure there is a couple of clubs there and at least one who dabble with Malifaux. If not, Hench-up (Apply for the Henchman program) and get yo butt down there!  :D

Failing that I attend a club called the Wessex Wyverns which is in Saint Leonards just outside of the New Forest which play all sorts of games. Malifaux included. I'm actually looking at setting up a beginner friendly slow grow league there in the new year. Should probably get my ass in gear and apply for the henchman program myself. I realize it's a bit of a trek from Gosport but there are members who travel some distance to attend a few times a month and it's worth checking out if you happen to be in the area on a Monday night.

Haha I don't know enough about the game to be a Henchmen, I haven't even played because of the whole no local clubs thing... But Monday nights I actually am free so I might be able to swing that.

Also, can Lucius take any Neverborn models? And can he take Neverborn and Guild models in one crew?

Yes, if Lucius declares his Faction as Neverborn he can take ANY Neverborn models. If he takes Guild as his declared Faction then he has access to ANY Guild models.

He also has an upgrade called Surprisingly Loyal which can be taken regardless of his declared faction which grants an ability called Personal Retinue which allows him to take up to 4 Guardsman or Mimic models regardless of Faction. This allows him to bring certain Neverborn models into Guild and Certain Guild models into Neverborn. 

Haha I don't know enough about the game to be a Henchmen, I haven't even played because of the whole no local clubs thing... But Monday nights I actually am free so I might be able to swing that.

Fair enough! Well in that case the Wyverns have a forum and a website that should give you a good idea of what they play, where they are and the usual info. The guys there are really friendly and I regularly attend myself. I'm always happy to give out a demo/neginner game of Malifaux so if your in the area drop me a line on the forum below (My user name and avatar pic are the same) and we can sort something out. 

Site http://www.wessexwyverns.org.uk/

Forum http://wessex-wyverns.boards.net/

I showed my GF Zoraida, Lucius and Pandora, and she said I should get Lucius, so the choice might be out of my hands now... :P

If my Mrs had her way I'd have been playing Colette for the last year. I was immediately draw in by the Viks and not owning them was never gonna happen! I mean I think Colette is pretty cool but who could say no to some scantily clad samurai chics? Right?  :D

Lucius is a good choice but his box is a bit difficult. Or at least it could use some expansion, especially on the Neverborn side of the fence. Unfortunately some of the models that he likes the most (highlight being the Illuminated) are not available separately.

As for Zoraida, she is sweet in that she doesn't have strong, specific synergies so she can use basically any models she fancies and do well. Waldgeists do go well with her but other than those, she can really find a use for almost anything in the Neverborn faction.

So if gunning for an eventual Dreamer, it might not be a bad idea to start with Zoraida. The Silurids in her box are great in that they are super good in some Schemes and therefore are competitive choices for absolutely any Neverborn Master.

One thing I've found is I tend to like half of each faction, which doesn't help... I really like the spirits side of ressers but not so much the zombies, I really like Rasputina and Marcus but not really the MaSU side of arcanists, I like Dreamer and Zoraida and Lucius from Neverborn but not so much the others...