A question on the Monks

D_acolyte

Monks of high river are rare 3 so I do not think Wyrd will do a separate pack of them. I want them for Mei Feng but if I am getting a master might as well find out what people think of him and monks as a whole.

Monks of the fermented river look like fun as well.

What do people think about the 3 river monks that have rules? How well do they work with masters other the Shenlong? 

How much different is Shenlong play from Mei Feng? Which style do you use with him the most?

Is Sensei Yu worth taking with out Shenlong?

Monks of high river are rare 3 so I do not think Wyrd will do a separate pack of them. I want them for Mei Feng but if I am getting a master might as well find out what people think of him and monks as a whole.

I never got the impression that Wyrd gave minions from crew boxes their own boxes because they expected people to double up on them, but because people would buy them for other masters. Unless we are talking mono-summoners, e.g. Sonnia, few people will want loads and loads of the same models (with just a few poses), we are not playing 40k after all. :P

Regarding Sensei Yu, You should absolutely take him with other masters than Shenlong!

The ability to mimic the (0) action of your master can have some pretty awesome side effects:

-Double Mulligan with Lynch

-Double Drinking Contest zones with Brewmaster

-He can gain Chi (through the Soul Porter) and Ascend with Yan Lo!

- etc etc etc

Its such a nifty way to double down on some cool tricks in your crew.

Against some crews, his resistance to being pushed around is key, and his airburst is great at getting extra movement for slow models. And don't forget to get the free trigger of focus when you airburst!  this lets him (1) interact for free!

He's also 10Ts best source for Fast with the wandering river style.

Dr. Seuss:

"I do so like this Sensei Yu.  

I do so like him, yes i do!"

• Like 2

No experience with the High River monks yet but I've been playing Shenlong a lot recently and taking Sensei Yu even even when I don't. They're both great fun to play.

Shenlong is a very flexible general support Master. I always start with Wandering River and then pass it to Yu. I have a pretty set turn one activation/instigation with a Shen and Yu crew but thats a longer story. Compared to Mei, Shen will buff/support most of your crew. You get heaps of movement control through pushes and fast/slow. Because of all the focus/defensive that can be used he works well with ranged models, forcing the enemy to come to you with say Protect Territory or Reconnoiter.

As Lysis mentions Yu outside of Shen is just a good support piece, though he can be pricey. I use him sometimes with Low River but mostly Vanilla or with Wandering River. Wandering River has a little Redundancy but the ability to push one of your big models and give it Fast is awesome. Slingshotting something like the Swordsman or Ama accross the board. Yu's pushes, extra interact and massive Wk 7 make him a great late game schemer.

Outside of Shen I've had most experience using Yu with McCabe where he copies McCabes 'take this' and makes a fast crew even faster.

Bengt, there are plenty of crew box minions that do have there own boxes. Some examples are death martials, witchling stalkers, guild guard, zombie punks nurses, ... the list goes on with 1 arcasist, 3 neverborn, 2 outcast, and 1 gremlin. This lets you add a taste of the other crew to an already existing crew, 10 thunders do not have it because our plastic crews have part all over the box.

I never thought of Shenlong as a support master but more of a different flavor of hand to hand.

Bengt, there are plenty of crew box minions that do have there own boxes. Some examples are death martials, witchling stalkers, guild guard, zombie punks nurses, ... the list goes on with 1 arcasist, 3 neverborn, 2 outcast, and 1 gremlin. This lets you add a taste of the other crew to an already existing crew, 10 thunders do not have it because our plastic crews have part all over the box.

I didn't comment on the existence of minion boxes, just the motivation for their existence. The Ten Thunder crews released so far were 1.5 and has like you say chaotic model placement. I'm convinced that Shenlong and Brewmaster will have subsprues like all other M2E crew boxes and that their minions will be available separately, regardless of rarity.