Problem: Model mounted on wrong sized base

Nikko Andass

Question

Hey, All -- I hope this is the right spot to post this.

In my enthusiasm to finish up my "Relic Hunters" crew, I ended up mounting my "Dismounted McCabe" to a 40mm base instead of a 30mm one. I used the "Ghost Town" 40mm base insert for this model, w/o realizing that the 40mm base included in the crew set was intended for Sidir, not McCabe. Since it's a custom base that I modified and epoxied, not to mention pinned the figure to, re-basing the figure at this point is really not an option. 

My question, then, regarding the rules implications of this noobified screw-up is: Since the insert itself is a perfect 30mm diameter, would it be considered "legal" to simply measure all movement and interactions with this model from the outside of the insert, ignoring the extra 10mm of base surrounding it? On it's face, it seems a simple enough solution to me. This isn't spelled out explicitly in the rulebook, obviously. Is this just something I'll have to learn to live with, or have I ruined this model for any future skirmishes and/or tournament match-ups?

Your insight is appreciated.

- Nikko

I never said tournaments only ever follow the rules.

What I'm saying is, is that unless the tournament has a "McCabe on foot is on a 40mm Base" rule, then this is not following tournament rules. If the tournament DOES have that rule, then I'm fine with it.

. For the record though, without such a rule, I wouldn't allow it. No matter how new the player. I would however allow a proxy in this instance, as long as it is on a correct sized base. ANY difference in base sizes, can, does and will have an impact on the game. It is not something negotiable, like any other stat.

Anyway. Circular discussion is pointless. Goodnight.

I never said tournaments only ever follow the rules.

I have no idea what you meant by this, then:

Rules are part of the game for a reason. A model on an incorrect base size is a house rule and would not be acceptable in a tournament. It is really that simple.

Especially the last sentence is really weird if you meant something more nuanced.

But I am happy to drop this since the OP has been answered quite thoroughly (and then some!) by now.

Oh boy --- looks like my dilemma has stirred up a bit of controversy. 

I myself have always been something of a "rules lawyer"  (tabletop rpg's are a serious business! ;)), although I can certainly be persuaded by a firmly logical argument. But, I'm always willing to bend a bit when it comes to a friendly game between friends (even brand new ones!). At the risk of sounding wishy-washy on the subject, let me say that I see the merits of both sides of this argument, but if given my druthers, I'd try to handle a situation like mine on a case by case basis.

What drew me to Malifaux in the first place was the exceptional quality and beauty of many of the miniatures -- as I know many of you were. So, although base sizes are an admittedly important aspect of the game, it does pain me to now have to break apart my model to accommodate the rules. The logical me gets it and agrees -- the aesthetic me, not so much.

- N

(BTW, this particular model has a whip that sticks out almost 40mm outside the edge of the base. Is it a correct assumption to say that this model is no stranger to proxy markers, anyway?) 

"Please, sir, I assembled my model incorrectly.  can I play with it?"

"Here's a blank, wooden base of the proper size.  Grab a marker and write your model's name and any required markings on it.  Cooperate with the other player when working out line of sight to your model, and use the wooden base to show where your base is supposed to be.  And try to rebase the model when you get a chance."

"Thank you."

That's how I'd expect it to go, if this were real life.  Any argument that the model's base size is "not a big deal" can be met with an equally compelling argument that's it's "not a big deal" to find a blank substitute base of the right size to use for the problematic model.

At the very least your paint work is lovely. :)

That's nice of you to say! I hadn't touched a brush in more than 10 years when I started back up again, about a month ago. It's all coming along, but I'm still using my old tried and true techniques, washes, dry-brushing, etc. -- nothing too advanced. Nevertheless, thanks. Your comment made my day.  :D

- N

• Like 1