Emberling [3]
Kang [9]
 +People's Challenge [2]
Katanaka Sniper [7]
Katanaka Sniper [7]
Metal Gamin [4]
Metal Gamin [4]
Rail Golem [11]

What do you think guys? As it is my first attempt to this master please don't beat me too much :D

In Malifaux you don't actually need to choose your list until you see the strategy, scheme pool, terrain and faction of your opponent.  If you're looking in terms of which models to buy, there's nothing wrong with your selections, depending on those variables.

More specifically, I generally don't bother with People's Challenge on Kang (2SS feels like a lot for what you get), and Hard Worker on Mei Feng is only useful in certain matchups.  Katanaka Snipers (and pretty much all ranged models of course) have some anti-synergy with Mei Feng as sometimes the target you want to shoot will end up under the Vent Steam aura; mostly this can be worked around but when it does come up it can be annoying.  The Emberling is great, but be aware that it is a bit of a risk under Reckoning or Make Them Suffer; most people don't seem to find it worth the effort to kill the little chap (so it can move around and scheme cheaply for you) but when it's actively gaining them victory points to do so then it isn't hard to do.

I'm toying with this for reconoitre and marker heavy schemes...

Mei

Emberling

Toshiro

Chiaki

2x Tengu

Rail Golem

2x Metal Gamin

Tengu on one flank, gamin on the other. The rest in the middle Emberling produce scrap (injuring Golem and self) for Toshiro's summoning, then stays back to help claim a quarter. Chiaki removes conditions from/heal the first Komainu, then heads to the flank of the Gamins, along with the first few Komainu.

Tengus advances along the flank dropping markers before they (probably) die. Toshiro summons more Komainu, and slowly adcances to the flank with the Tengus, summoning of whatever scrap markers there are. When the Tengus die, Toshiro summons Ashigaru to act as guards. Along with the remaining Komainus they form a task force, and move towards the middle to do whatever...

Chiaki, one Komainu and two Metal Gamin form another task force, operating from the other flank.

The Rail Golem is held back until needed as a cruise missile, and Mei Feng teleports to wherever she's needed.

All theoryfaux, but should be able to out-activate many crews, be fairly resilient and able to replenish losses, pack a decent punch and respond rapidly to many developments...

Emberling is the hardest working 3ss you'll ever buy...unless, as noted above, he's costing you VPs.

I take him a lot in Breakthrough, Line, Reconnoiter, Squatter's, etc, anything that requires some speed (Wk 5 and Incorporeal) and a Minion/Scheme marker. Opponents are often surprised that a totem is significant and a minion. :D

Hard Worker is great against Ressers/Arcanists, but I tend to take it on Kang instead of Mei. Mei has a lot of great upgrade choices...most of which you don't have as a TT player, I just noticed before I started typing them out. :P I never leave home without Seismic Claws, but that's a personal choice I think.

Hard Worker is great against Ressers/Arcanists, but I tend to take it on Kang instead of Mei. Mei has a lot of great upgrade choices...most of which you don't have as a TT player, I just noticed before I started typing them out. :P I never leave home without Seismic Claws, but that's a personal choice I think.

10T is actually a serious contender for the faction with best generic upgrades. Misdirection, Recalled Training and On Wings of Wind are all viable choices for Mei Feng.

Seize the Day and I are having an argument. It tells me that it's a ridiculously useful upgrade that can't help but put me in a better position to win, for only 1ss and an upgrade slot. But then it gives me a 3 and a 4, or an 11 and a 12 against my opponents 13.

I feel like I love it a hell of a lot more than it loves me, and that's not a great place for a relationship to be in.

But yeah, I did forget Seize the Day. :)

• Like 1