Pets?

GMort

A group of local Malifaux players at my FLGS expressed an interest in the Through the Breach RPG so I offered to take them through the character creation process if they decided to buy the books...after some discussion they bought two fated books, one Fatemaster book and the Fatemaster kit between them and we started to create their Fated. However...

One of the lads wanted his character to have a pet of some kind and I told him it wasn't really something that was covered in the basic rules and he happily accepted this and we moved on. However, thinking about it it seemed like an interesting idea and I just wondered if any of you had any ideas about how this could be implemented....

..thoughts?

Yeah....as a big Marcus fan, and a previous Ranger, Druid, Elf-type characters player....I have no issue with players having an animal companion. Is it really that different from a Necromancer with an Undead sidekick, or a Tinkerer with a construct?

I don't see anything wrong with just making something up. If it was something generic, like a dog I might let a player start with one. If it's more exotic like a Malifaux Raptor or a trained attack dog I'd probably happily discuss it with them but then tell them that they'd have to earn it through game play....then I'd give them that opportunity within the next couple of sessions.

Rasputina had a pet hoarcat. I would have no problems with that. If anything, if they want an attack dog or something that is use to the gaming advantage, then say yes, but you control the pet. After all, even the closest pet is not always going to do exactly what it's owner wants. If that were true, my cat would stay off the counters in the kitchen.

All depend son what kind of effect on the game he wants the pet to have. If it is merely fluff for his character, no problem. Just let him have it. However, I am guessing that is not the case. Did he talk about what the size of the pet or what kind he wants?

He wanted a 'familiar' type animal for his Dabbler but the more we talked the more apparent it became that he wanted it to have a quite considerable set of abilities and uses which is why I told him it wasn't viable for a starting character...if he'd have said "I want a pet budgie..." then It wouldn't have been an issue, lol.

• 4 weeks later...

In that case perhaps it could function as the Dabblers Grimoire, though I would definitely make it a Fate Master controlled NPC. Could be used to create plot points along the way.

This is just the course I took with my Graverobber, Horace Graves. The Station I drew was Tracker, and immediately came up with a kid who was always brought out with his dad on hunting expeditions, picking up all the trapped animals, but who felt sorry for them. Ultimately, Horace starts practicing Necromancy to bring animals back to life (kind of a reverse psychopath). His Grimoire comes in the form of a mangy, undead cat named Mr. Tooms. He has no real significant affect on play except as fluff for my character, as a plot device, and as the source of my Necromantic learnings.

• Like 1