Format Idea: Ersatz Henchman

An idea for a Malifaux game format.

Henchman-led game, 30ss. Strategies and Schemes as usual.

During the Announce Faction step, each side announces a Faction and one keyword from: HORSEMAN, FAMILY, WITCH HUNTER, GUILD MARSHALL, GUARDSMAN, MIMIC, BLACK SHEEP, BELLE, HORROR, ACADEMIC, M&SU, BEAST, SWARM, FOUNDRY, SHOWGIRL, GAMIN, NEPHILIM, SWAMPFIEND, WOE, LOST, PUPPET, NIGHTMARE, DARKENED, FREIKORPS, LOST, NIHILIST, TORMENTED, KIN, TRI-CHI, PIG, LAST-BLOSSOM, RETAINER, ONI, or ANCESTOR.

(Note that this list does not include SPIRIT, GREMLIN, EFFIGY, HOUND, SISTER, TYRANT, BRILLIANCE, or VERMIN.)

Choose a Henchman Leader that does not have this keyword.

Leaders cannot hire models from their own declared faction (including mercenaries and models with that keyword), but can hire models with the declared Keyword (that are not members of their faction) and Mercenaries from other factions (paying out of faction costs as usual.) Leaders cannot hire models without the chosen keyword or Mercenary, even if they have Abilities that would otherwise allow it.

Upgrades are selected from the Leader's Faction.

Abilities that summon models are not restricted. (So, for instance, Rat Catcher can still summon Malifaux Rats.)

The idea is a coherent Crew that has brought in an Ersatz leader for them.

Any big broken possibilities? Any especially good synergies? Any thoughts?

Anyone want to try it? Either in the Bay Area, or on Vassal? I'll post up any playtest results I see.

What Crew would you use?

Thanks!

• Like 1

(Didn't include SPIRIT or GREMLIN because they were too broad. Didn't include VERMIN or TYRANT or SISTER because they were too narrow. HOUND is a subset of BEAST, EFFIGY is a subset of PUPPET, and BRILLIANCE is a subset of DARKENED.)

(EDIT: ADDED SWARM back in. A minimum of three hireable models seems to be the cutoff point.)

Unless I'm missing something, the pigs would charge one another and the whole crew would probably kinda die to itself.

OOPS. You're right. 'stry that again:

Sample Crew idea: "Boar Clan"

TEN THUNDERS, PIG

Toshiro the Daimyo 6 cache (2)

+ Command the Graves (1)

+ Misdirection (2)

Old Major (9)

The Sow (8)

Piglet (4)

Piglet (4)

• Like 1

Other crew ideas: Sebastian + Tri-Chi (Poison goodness), Nekima + Belle (Grab & smash), Rusty Alyce + Horseman (Construct synergy + summoning engine), Sidir Alchibal + Academic (many mid-cost Enforcers to buff with Promises), McTavish + Showgirl (Scheme Marker synergy).

Other crew ideas: Sebastian + Tri-Chi (Poison goodness), Nekima + Belle (Grab & smash), Rusty Alyce + Horseman (Construct synergy + summoning engine), Sidir Alchibal + Academic (many mid-cost Enforcers to buff with Promises), Philip and the Nanny + Showgirl (Scheme Marker synergy), Samael Hopkins + Foundry (Burning synergy).

• Like 1

How about:

Ten Thunders, M&SU.

Kang (Cache 4)

+ People's Challenge (2)

+ Recalled Training (1)

The Firestarter (7)

+ Recalled Training (1)

Rail Golem (11)

Metal Gamin (4)

Metal Gamin (4)

Or:

Ten Thunders, M&SU.

Kang (Cache 4)

+ People's Challenge (2)

+ Recalled Training (1)

The Firestarter (7)

+ Recalled Training (1)

Rail Golem (11)

+ Recalled Training (1)

Gunsmith (7)

Depending on schemes and strategy.

• Like 1

Sam Hopkins with M&SU- Sam becomes the uber-gunsmith. Bring a firestarter or oxford mages to prime the "burning", then let sam light 'em up with rapid fire.

Sebastian with Mimic- Bring lawyers and performers (as merc)

Cassandra with Friekorps- Hannah and librarians.  All the heals, and a CA that can do blasts and be cast in melee. :3

• Like 1

Yeah, SISTER and BLACK SHEEP are pretty borderline. I kinda eyeballed those. Part of it is, the black sheep had a non-rare Wastrel in there, while Sister only had two models exactly, one of which was also a mercenary.

VERMIN is also borderline, but the two models are really close to each other so I said no on that.

I'm still kind of back and forth on BEAST, too. (And if I took out BEAST, I'd put in HOUND.)

You could separate BEAST into Arcanist BEAST, Gremlin BEAST, Neverborn BEAST and Resser BEAST. It would leave poor Drake and Hounds out of the picture, but otherwise fix the issue.

For the smaller groups, you could have them count as 1/2 crew and allow a henchman to bring two 1/2 crew keywords (such as Taelor with HOUNDS and VERMIN or Huggy with SISTERS and BLACK SHEEP).

Hell, you could even have an agreed-upon keyword allotment in a game. Say, a 30 SS game and up to 2 keywords, which could be broken into halfs. In other words, these would be legal for this style:

Joss with DARKENED (1 KW), HOUNDS (1/2 KW) and SISTERS (1/2 KW) - 1 + 1/2 + 1/2 = 2

LCB with Arcanist (1 KW) and Neverborn BEASTS (1 KW) - 1 + 1 = 2

Sebastian with HOUNDS (1/2 KW), SISTERS (1/2 KW), VERMIN (1/2 KW), and BLACK SHEEP (1/2 KW) = 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 = 2

• Like 1

You could separate BEAST into Arcanist BEAST, Gremlin BEAST, Neverborn BEAST and Resser BEAST. It would leave poor Drake and Hounds out of the picture, but otherwise fix the issue.

Hell, you could even have an agreed-upon keyword allotment in a game. Say, a 30 SS game and up to 2 keywords, which could be broken into halfs.

While maybe a little more balanced, this sounds like it would be a lot more complicated and less thematic.