Hoffman Improvised repairs.

Durza

Question

Quick question, Hoffmans improvised repairs action says

(1) Improvised repairs: Target a scrap marker

within 8". All friendly constructs within  :pulse 3 of the 

scrap marker heal 1/2/3 damage. Then, discard the

scrap marker.

It doesn't say each construct makes a healing flip, so do you flip once and apply the result to all constructs or does each construct flip separately? A few weeks ago I played it to flip once but my opponent thought it would be everyone flips, I'd just like to see what everyone thought.

10 answers to this question

I think each construct makes its own healing flip, simply because there are models out there who modify their healing flips, and I thus assume it's always handled that way.

I would also like a clarification on this, though.

EDIT: I also think that cheating this flip would be too easy if it counted for everyone. Granted, it's not that high a flip, but still.

Comparing it to the Gremlin Slop Hauler, his action says: 

"Up to four friendly Pigs or Gremlins within 3" may perform a 1/2/3 healing flip"

It clearly states each model makes its own flip, and based on that comparison I would interpret Hoffmans heal to be one flip applied to all the models..

This one keeps cropping up, we really need some clarification to put this one to bed once and for all. 

All friendly constructs within 3" heal 1/2/3 to me reads as everything heals at once. The fact that the wording doesn't even mention a flip is why this is so widely open to interpretation. I've always played it as one heal catching everything within 3" and nobody has ever complained for me playing it this way however I can see how or why others would sit on the other side of the fence and say it's a flip for each model although the rules in no way suggest that is how it's played. 

P 47 says that the model being healed should make the flip and cheat.

My opinion is that "heal 1/2/3" is synonymous with "make a healing flip for 1/2/3" and that exceptions to everyone do their own flips need to be spelled out. Compare Fates Entwined on Sister models, it says explicitly that you only flip once.

• Like 5

I've reflected some more on this, and even though I'm still not 100% on how I would want to interpret the wording, I did come to think of another aspect from a balance point of view. Since healing flips are cheatable in this edition, only doing one flip and applying it to all models would be quite alot more powerful than doing one flip per model. As investing a severe card on that one flip would affect all models.

So I do think based on that aspect as well as what Bengt mentions, I would like to think it's one flip per model.

I've reflected some more on this, and even though I'm still not 100% on how I would want to interpret the wording, I did come to think of another aspect from a balance point of view. Since healing flips are cheatable in this edition, only doing one flip and applying it to all models would be quite alot more powerful than doing one flip per model. As investing a severe card on that one flip would affect all models.

So I do think based on that aspect as well as what Bengt mentions, I would like to think it's one flip per model.

Yeah, I said that, too. It's no argument from a rules perspective, though. Bengt's argument is the best I've seen in this thread.