How should Som'er be played in a game?

grave13

Im also interested in piglets for Somer. Are they worth the time with him? What would be a good use for them? Would i need to buy any other of the pigs to support the piglets? It seems you can build a valid crew with somer using just about anything that the gremlin faction has to offer. For his flexability alone is a reason he is quickly becoming my favorite Gremlin master.

Yeah gracie is available and is the only one at the moment. Plastic war pigs were at gencon though so I expect they arent too far away. No idea about old major or the sow though.

Well, we do know something about their release date: not this year (due to them not being in Gencon and the rest of the year likely being just releasing the stuff that was at Gencon).

You can buy gracie in stores. You can also buy Somer and Peachs and then convert Peaches as ether Old Major or The Sow. Plastic Warpig was available at Gencon. Ive also seen converted Warhammer Pigs.   Type Malifaux Old Major into Google 'Images' and you should get some good sites and pics.

On your earlier comments my thoughts are

- skeeters are good generally, for disrupting your opponent, they don't have to be massed to be effective, a single skeeter can also be good.  i would always take skeeters, except when the schemes/strategy call for Old Cranky as defensive buff, typically i would take cranky for reckoning, and also if the scheme pool is heavy with assassination, vendetta etc.

- Somer builds, the main bonus to his flexibility is taking a 100SS pool, and then custom building his list to match your scheme, strategies, opponent and terrain.  no one list is 'best'. If you've got the kin, some pigs, slops haulers, lenny, burt, pigapult, sammy etc then your pretty set. Basically Somer can use everything bar brewmaster crew, which is pretty specific to brewer. Also if you want to go all pigs then Ulix is prob better bet. 

- I would recommend you have Somer and Orphelia and play Orphelia for offensive Scheme / starts and Somer for scheme marker heavy schemes and starts. They both use the same general pool of models as support.

Im going to 'Park' my somer and orphelia and start building my Ulix and Brewmaster crews.... just waiting for my warping and whisky golem to arrive.... *ren&stimpy... JOY!*

Welcome to Gremlins!

• Like 1

I've used a couple of piglets a few times with Som'er, they're great for just setting loose for running interference - long charge, good Df and Wd for their cost, and if they flip a few Rams so be it. Getting them stuck into models that use Sh for their melee attacks can be frustrating for your opponent. :)

I found they're also good for Distract (as long as they remain within 8" of a model with Pork Whisper'n), because they have such a long charge range and have 1AP left after their attacks.

If thinking about piglets, I would recommend a good look at the Pullmyfinger wiki (the old 1.5 partition especially) for some tactics like the Pig Boomerang. Personally I think Som'er runs best when utilizing a combined arms approach. Pigs pressuring forward, Bayou Gremlins' running objectives and providing ranged support, Skeeters providing support, tarpitting and AOE pulse damage, while Som'er sits back and pumps out reinforcements.

• Like 1

Took the advice on looking over the 1.5 tactica for somer. Now it states the you can only play up to four skeeters a one time. But someone on here said you can field up to six if possible. So in the jump between 1.5 and M2e did the restriction on skeeters go away? Are we allowed to field as many skeeters as we want during a game?

Back in 1st ed you could hire 4 Skeeters at crew creation, M2e limits you to only 2. In either edition it is possible to create many, many more during the game through Larva (honestly limited only by the frequency of the :crow suit and viable killable targets).

The prohibition/restriction is only tied to "hiring".

During the last edition it was much easier to spam the hell out of them (though it was a generally frowned upon "stalling" tactic) via Larva.

...while Som'er sits back and pumps out reinforcements.

In the last few turns do you find that Som'er has to move up to the front and get stuck in? I find that compared to his 1.5 version he's a lot more capable and reliable in a combat role, to such an extent that I've had success having him lead elite crews and not summon at all.

I can only seem to sustain having him at the back Gitting the Bros for two turns at most until the pressure builds and he needs to quit messing around. Perhaps I need to use Piglets and Warpigs more to get up in the enemy's grill and give them something to think about.

Also I assume you use Skeeters to prevent the Bayou Gremlins from declaring triggers, or always giving them Tomes/Rams, etc?

Piglets relieve a lot of pressure on the back field especially when running him as a Combined Arms crew. He was fairly capable last edition in a fight as well (especially if you shaped the deck and control hands). The Warpigs are good for this as well however I still think the Piglets are a better option due to being more numerous, a bit more survivable and most importantly replaceable (as long as Lenny is hanging out with his upgrade).

This isn't to say that he cant run an elite crew as well or better than a summoning engine its just that there is usually another Gremlin Master/ crew that does it so much better and more efficiently.

Also I assume you use Skeeters to prevent the Bayou Gremlins from declaring triggers, or always giving them Tomes/Rams, etc?

I use the Skeeters for those things as well as Pull My Finger and Down the Hatch.