Bring on The Thundeer

SurreyLee

Hello,

i've been dabbling with Neverborn since M2e hit and had a lot of fun. Considering a second faction and whilst arcanist saw a bit of my interest, i've settled on The Thunder Misaki crew. I also picked up Yamaziko as i love the model.

What would everyone say are the next two essentail purchases to flesh out my crew. I actually like all the models for TT so far so that's not an issue, but what will "work"?

thanks for any advices.

I've been dabbling in 10T the last couple months as well but I haven't played Misaki enough to really help you. Misaki doesn't really do anything to buff her crew, so I think any generalist model would do fine.....like Katanaka Sniper, Lone Swordsman, Dawn Serpent, etc.

• Like 1

Been having a lot of fun with Misaki recently and also using Toshiro to bring in some Punk Zombies and raising Ashigaru and Komainu. As I don't have her box I have not been using torakage but instead have had some success with Tengu for scheme running, Oiran for luring and Samurai for fire platforms.

D.

• Like 1

I second all of the above. In addition I'd recommend a couple of others: Kang and the Archers.

You would have to get Mei's box set (you do get a really cool second TT master...;)) or proxy. If Misaki is kept within Kang's bubble, she will be a whole heap of trouble for the undead and contructs. He's also tough to put down and packs a punch.

The archers make an excellent range addition. As they ignore other models for LoS and can target an engaged model without randomising they can provide great support to an assassination attempt by Misaki. Also combine them with Kang for more anti-Rezzer/Construct amusement....;).

Lee I've just twigged it's you. Probably best to ignore my advice considering my performance at the last Haul of Eggs... ;).

EDIT:- Although the last guy I played (unfortunately can't remember his name) had Hoffman and I had Kang with the archers on the one table that didn't have much scenery. It wasn't pretty. Felt bad for the guy, but he gave all he got and so nearly downed Kang and it was quite close in VP's as well. Good player against overwhelming odds (making me a bad player with superior firepower!).

Not sure how I missed the Kang ability....that's pretty awesome and I can see how he'd make it into most lists. Awaiting the wave 2 cards before I truly check out the other chap. I actually love how Wyrd cross different models etc so you want new models etc. it's cleverly done but not as horridly as other games company's.....

• Like 1

I would proxy those archers before getting them. Their no-randomize is really great. But they cost 7ss, and they do not bring that much for their steep price. Their survivability is laughable at best. Damage track ok. Range is ok too. Their (2) action ignores los, but not cover, which makes it rather bad too unless you have Shenlong around whom can let them Focus with a (0). So my suggestion is that you proxy Archers and Katanaka Snipers and then make a decision. 

The Kang and the Rail Workers are great, cannot go wrong there. Izamu and Yin can tie up models so Misaki can deal with them later on. A Kamaitachi proxy is something you really should look into (sorry Shang)! Fuhatsu is another solid ranged option too.

I'm no expert but I play a lot of Misaki, way more than any other Master so I'll add my 2 cents.

As mentioned Misaki doesn't buff her crew so you can pretty much choose anything else from TT that you want to try or feel you'd like for balance.

What I feel Misaki's box is missing is staying power and often reliable damage output. For that you could look at Izamu or Yin then perhaps a couple of Komainu. The only issue with Izamu/Yin is how slow they are without help, Misaki can be in the opponents face turn 2, these 2 are often more like turn 4. You can either compensate (with downburst say) or just use them as 2nd wave/backliners/denial pieces.

For the fast attack/flanking Ama No Zako has good damage and denial (hazardous terrain or Promising Whisper) but can go down fast under a concentrated attack. She's a great piece but you have to be more thoughtful with her use to get the most out of her. The Swordsman is a really fun piece and scary for anyone relying on armour/incorporeal etc but again dies very easy so requires careful set-up (and often most of your hand of cards) for his attack.

Archers are really very good (vendetta in the bag) but you want to keep them out of trouble. I think you could take one every game and they'd be worth it (I look at them as a melee buff or something to spread blast damage over pesky hiding foes). I never take more than one so buying a whole box for one model, dunno.

Fuhatsu, only used him a couple of times but he causes your opponent to react to his every move, his damage output and blasts are scary and he can be difficult for some opponents to take down. I feel like his blasts work well as a softening up for Misaki's Thunder if you want to take out a raft of small stuff at once.

Seeing as you're taking Yama I really like the Guild Pathfinder and Traps with her. She can put the charge denial on them and poke from behind with her 3" range. They also gum up your opponents movements whilst she nips around laying scheme tokens.

Lastly Tengu, they can find their way into any TT crew that wants to lay out the scheme tokens, they're brilliant.

I could go on but here's some ideas, I'm trying to avoid the models that require you to buy a new crew box. Whilst Misaki's lack of crew buffing limits her support it does mean you can pretty much choose anything else from TT and make it work, think about balancing your crew for the task at hand and leave Misaki to kill/annoy/distract your opponent.

Given your background in Neverborn, I would recommend you take a look at the Jacob Lynch crew box (provided you do not have him already). Illuminated are amazing in any crew (even Misaki), and with Jacob and friends being dual faction 10T/NB he will act as a bridge between your existing neverborn stuff and your (hopefully) soon to expand 10T stuff.

• Like 1

Given your background in Neverborn, I would recommend you take a look at the Jacob Lynch crew box (provided you do not have him already). Illuminated are amazing in any crew (even Misaki), and with Jacob and friends being dual faction 10T/NB he will act as a bridge between your existing neverborn stuff and your (hopefully) soon to expand 10T stuff.

This is a pretty solid suggestion. Illuminated provide some weight to your crew and once you branch out into Graves and Tannen you open up some interesting options. Graves's Show you the Door helps keep slower models up with Misaki and can be used to set up strikes with models like the Lone Swordsman.

Some awesome suggestions. I forgot to say I already have Mr Graves....he's just too good a model not to include.

Scarlett, your advice about the archers, and whether you would buy a whole box, I seem to think about all the Wave 1 stuff for 10T. low river monk look useful, but would I take 3? Not sure. Oiran look more useable for 3 but still....

Trapper looks a good idea and that has synergy with McCabe as and when I pick him up.

No one has mentioned the dawn serpent....this looks like a total tank of a mini.....is there generally not a lot of love for him?

I'm still waiting for my Dawn Serpent model and therefore have never had it on the table. It's an obvious fit with McCabe but with Misaki I'm not certain. It would be a good flanker with it's speed and ranged blast. I tend to have very few Ca actions in my Misaki crew so the heal could be pointless unless it's close to enemy casters.

Interesting point about the Low River and Oiran being similar to the Archer. I can see corner cases where you may include more than one Monk but I have trouble fitting in one. If I need condition removal I have Chiaki, staying power I'd go Komainu or Railworkers, gumming up the enemy I'd just go for Yin or Traps. Oiran I just never get much out of, I occasionally choose one for the chance to use lure but the cards I need for that compete with Misakis Assassination. I still include one every now and then but usually because I like the model. Even as a Last Blossom minion I prefer Torakage, if Shadow Stride goes off it's going on a Torakage.

I would proxy those archers before getting them. Their no-randomize is really great. But they cost 7ss, and they do not bring that much for their steep price. Their survivability is laughable at best. Damage track ok. Range is ok too. Their (2) action ignores los, but not cover, which makes it rather bad too unless you have Shenlong around whom can let them Focus with a (0). So my suggestion is that you proxy Archers and Katanaka Snipers and then make a decision. 

The Kang and the Rail Workers are great, cannot go wrong there. Izamu and Yin can tie up models so Misaki can deal with them later on. A Kamaitachi proxy is something you really should look into (sorry Shang)! Fuhatsu is another solid ranged option too.

I agree with your comments on the archers, except on the question of survivability. On their own they are paper but don't forget they fire through models making them easy to screen them off so they can't be targetted, which I think is the best defense of all. I would definitely agree that they don't bring flexibility, they only play into the hands of one game plan. You really need to pick them for the right strategy and schemes. For that one game plan though, they will do their job very well.

Thanks for all the tips. I've not really looked at how Kang can interact yet but will look at him and The resser chap. Punk zombies for 10t sound good.

VonEvilStein, have we met? Are you heroes and legends based?

Yes mate at Smogcon and Haul of Eggs, where I called you Dave...;). I'll be getting one of your boards soon...;)

I agree with your comments on the archers, except on the question of survivability. On their own they are paper but don't forget they fire through models making them easy to screen them off so they can't be targetted, which I think is the best defense of all. I would definitely agree that they don't bring flexibility, they only play into the hands of one game plan. You really need to pick them for the right strategy and schemes. For that one game plan though, they will do their job very well.

I would be so on board with your argument if their cost were 5-6ss. I cannot, even with their new upgrade, see why a 7ss model should be that independent on other models for surviving. It just doesn't make any sense at all. In addition, they do not pack enough of an offensive punch in order to make up for their squishiness.

With that said though, I agree with you that they will do just fine under the right circumstances. Like every model in the game. I am just saying that I do not think they are good enough for 7ss model.

if Shadow Stride goes off it's going on a Torakage.

"If" seems to imply that it is kind of rarity. Is that the case, and how do you tend to play around with the Stride? I have only been looking at it, but never played it. The suit dependence have scared me of quite a bit.

No one has mentioned the dawn serpent....this looks like a total tank of a mini.....is there generally not a lot of love for him?

I've used it once and it got focused down in one activation, which, as with a lot models that have a self heal, your opponent will look to use resources to to make sure you don't get that chance. 

Personally I think DS has more synergy with Mei Feng and could be a nasty handful if used well (in exactly the way I didn't in my one game with it...;)). One thing I really like about it is that Rotten Belles can't lure it. Pure of purest joy....;)

"If" seems to imply that it is kind of rarity. Is that the case, and how do you tend to play around with the Stride? I have only been looking at it, but never played it. The suit dependence have scared me of quite a bit.

That was lazy writing, it's not really an 'if' it goes off.

If I take Smoke and Shadows I'm ususally looking to use it in turn 1 or 2 for scheme purposes. It all depends on my hand, you can expect to have the right card (6+ masks) most turns so you get to do once a turn on average, during the heavy enagement turns (3-5) I'll only use the Shadow Stride if it that placement is more important than anything else. An 8+ masks means I'll do the smoke bombs as well (move, screen for cover, then Shadow Stride). So if I take Smoke and Shadows I take 2 Torakage and pick the most suitable one to use at the time. Clockworks Traps are particularly good for placing off as they have From the Shadows and you don't have to be as concerned about them being vulnerable like Katanaka Snipers, otherwise Misaki and Ama are good options.

Shadow Stride coupled with Torakage's Agile makes them great fun for alot of schemes, the board control keeps your opponent on their toes.

That was lazy writing, it's not really an 'if' it goes off.

If I take Smoke and Shadows I'm ususally looking to use it in turn 1 or 2 for scheme purposes. It all depends on my hand, you can expect to have the right card (6+ masks) most turns so you get to do once a turn on average, during the heavy enagement turns (3-5) I'll only use the Shadow Stride if it that placement is more important than anything else. An 8+ masks means I'll do the smoke bombs as well (move, screen for cover, then Shadow Stride). So if I take Smoke and Shadows I take 2 Torakage and pick the most suitable one to use at the time. Clockworks Traps are particularly good for placing off as they have From the Shadows and you don't have to be as concerned about them being vulnerable like Katanaka Snipers, otherwise Misaki and Ama are good options.

Shadow Stride coupled with Torakage's Agile makes them great fun for alot of schemes, the board control keeps your opponent on their toes.

Great stuff! If you do not have any masks in your hand after drawing, do you spend a stone in order to fish for one or do you change you plans accordingly?

I change plans accordingly since I've had too many instances where I couldn't just do a Tora leap.

This. You'll get the card once a turn on average but that's not a given. 2 extra cards is a fairly low chance (35%?) so I'm unlikely to do it just for Shadow Stride.

You should be getting it off in turn 1-2 but I guess like any trigger based on suits not built-in you've got to have backup plans.

The game I had last night it came in useful right at the end where it gave my Torakage a chance to teleport back from the opponents side of the board (Breakthrough) to shore up my Protect Territory on my side.