Height 0 severe terrain

tmod

I'm looking at making some height 0 severe scatter terrain, and was wondering what you guys are using. The consideration is that I want something that is obviously severe terrain, but still flat enough as to be easy to put miniatures on. (I hate trying to balance a base on top of a pile of bricks for example.) Just to complicate things a little more I'm also looking for something fitting a urban setting. I want to be able to also use it for Freebooter's Fate, so a plowed field or swamp is out. Any suggestions?

A sewage spill? Can be modelled simply by pouring PVA glue and then painting and gloss varnishing it.

A nice twist might be to model some steam pipes running at ground level, and have them all ruptured. It would be Ht0 Severe, but also Hazardous, with the steam cloud granting area soft cover. I might model that myself, actually :) (EDIT: think I'll do two version - intact and ruptured, and allow crews to damage them in-game)

Some that come to my mind off the top of my head:

- Quicksand/Sink Holes

- Bog Pits

- Sewage  (as mentioned above)

- Natural Gas Pockets released into the air or steam vents (also mentioned above)

- Spike Pits or other man made traps (not all were 6 feet deep, a lot where merely short wooden stakes on flat ground camouflaged),

- Hazardous Plants (hell, I'd hate to run through a briar patch or dense patch of poison ivy/oak, much less whatever exotic foliage is native to Malifaux)

- Wild Animal Habitats (can you imagine running right through a nest of vipers because you were too focused on trying to close the distance with someone in the distance)

- Lava

- Thin Ice (thinking Rasputina environment here. What looks like complete solid ground could actually be over an entire frozen lake/ocean)

- Destroyed Buildings (as in completely leveled to rubble)

- Periodic damaging terrain (maybe you have a railroad track and only during a random turn will the train run through causing damage/blocking LoS, etc, or fog rolls in, blizzards, natural disasters, etc)

I'm sure there are more things, but that should give you a decent start at ideas hopefully. :)

Sholto and Mister Shine mentioned spills and barrels above.  How about an oil spill (or coal tar) by a broken barrel.  Hobby Lobby sells packs of about 10 small wooden barrels just the right size, just need to paint them.  Suggestions for spill effects beside the barrel are covered by folks above. 

If you really had patience you could model an area covered in caltrops.  Placing them close together would make balancing bases on them easy enough.  Not sure if that is urban enough though, since these could theoretically be thrown out anywhere. 

With broken bricks or any other 'rubble' the secret to having minis sit nicely upon the terrain is to have the 'wavelength' of the surface noise much smaller than 30 mm and with the maximum height consistent.  This way the base will always be resting on several points of the same height.  Seems fiddly, but shouldn't be too difficult if you use the correct sized rubble material, and press it all into a bonding surface like clay with a large flat object, so that many bits are pressed down to the same maximum height.

press it all into a bonding surface like clay with a large flat object, so that many bits are pressed down to the same maximum height.

Cool. Seems so simple! Is that that thing people talk about? What is it? Common sense? I have none that I'm aware of.

Several good ideas here, thank you!

I think I'll try out spillage, both from pipes and barrels are great suggestions. Ice and lava is a bit hard to make compatible with an urban setting, particularly if doubling for another game like Freebooter's Fate. I've been thinking about ruins and not figured out how to do it practically without making it hard to balance figures on, but the clay tip is brilliant.

Thanks folks!

T.