Who's your favourite master for Reconnoitre?

Gipsy_Danger

Out of all the Strategies for Malifaux, I always have the most trouble with Reconnoitre. Usually Sonnia's my go-to, but I'm looking for some Out of the Box thinking for an upcoming event. Crew selection always depends on the Schemes, so here they are: ALITS, Plant Explosives, Protect Territory, Bodyguard, & Outflank. So who'd be your Master of choice, and what kind of Crew would you look at running? Any help or advice would be really appreciated, I'd really like to see some other people's ideas on this. Thanks!

Lucius

Malifaux child

Doppelganger

Dashel

Rifleman

Rifleman

Death Marshal

2 Hounds

Death Marshal/Austringer/Pathfinder/Witchling Stalker/Lawyer/whatever

High number of models helps with reconnoitter. This crew also has surprisingly much killing potential if you manage to keep riflemen alive. If the model can't be easily killed you can just tie it up in melee with Lucius or use Death Marshal or Doppelganger to throw it in the box. This crew can also complete literally all of those schemes quite easily.

• Like 1

I have been having a surprising amount of luck in Recon with Lady J.

Justice - Last Stand, other upgrades depend on opposing faction

Judge- Lead Lined Coat

Hunter

Death Marshal

Death Marshal

Austringer

Watcher

Brutal Effigy

Overall, you get a decent number of Significant bodies, and Justice and Judge can slow down traditional summoners pretty well. The Hunter is nice because he can take up a central position and drag enemies into the no score zone- and pass out slow to help keep them there. Judge can also hinder mobility with bound by law, and use stand for judgement to pull your crew or your enemies crew into a place where you can score points. Overall the crew all operates pretty well independently and doesn't suffer from spreading out like a lot of crews do. The Marshals are especially effective in Recon as a well played offensive pine box can really throw a lot of crews. The Effigy and Watcher are just cheap significant models. The watcher can run schemes, and the effigy adds a lot of durability to Justice, as well as card draw.

I don't have time to go full list, but some ideas

Lucius is my main master, and I love Recon.  If you have him going last, and cheap minions around the boundaries to shift, you can really control the scoring for recon (just stay out of the middle).

I like the Hunter's three in push, but be careful not to end him on a line.

Guild Sarge is fun for plant explosives, as you can have him throw the scheme markers at already activated model with his (0)

Lawyer or Death marshall should be good for that too, because if they kill them, they will drop one.

As said above, doppelganger is a delight for plant explosives as well.

I may be the one guild player who hasn't really used Death marshals, but I would expect them to be really good in recon as stated above.

McMourning

- On the clock, plastic surgery, evidence tampering

The Judge

-Plant Evidence

2 nurses

2 witching stalkers

3 guild hounds

Guild pathfinder

With this crew you use the nurses to control the game and get your schemes, while 10 models should be able to work the strategy. Nurses can give the bonus walk to a dog, dog double walks, McMourning injects the dog for a turn 1 plant explosives. Nurses can also hand heals and paralyze out or make models unable to do anything except melee attacks. That with the witching status removal is powerful. The judge is there potentially for bodyguard or just to bully people out of quarters. The push from stand for judgement could pull your own models to a different quarter or your enemies.

McCabe can actually be put to very good use with Reconnoiter. With Luna and 4 Guild Hound, some Wastrels and an Austringer or two he can really get the job done, they are all fairly cheap, fast and can run rings around your opponent. Also with the Badge of Speed, Pushes from his (0) Take This and Nimble when he passes out the Badge his crew can really get around! 

I'd probably take something like this

Lucas McCabe -- 6 Pool
 +Badge of Office [2]
 +Elixir of Life [2]
 +Glowing Sabre [2]

Luna [4]
Death Marshal [6]
Death Marshal [6]
Guild Austringer [6]
Guild Austringer [6]
Guild Hound [3]
Guild Hound [3]
Guild Hound [3]
Guild Hound [3]

I just knocked this up in a moment but given the schemes as well I'd adjust it accordingly. Between the 5 hounds you have a ridiculous amount of movement and interacts, the Austringers can force activinteract actions and harass the enemy. The Death Marshalls can move about unrestricted and offer support with the Pine Box and McCabe is no slouch when it comes to movement or supporting his crew with movement based tricks. Given the pool of schemes you have available I'd probably take Plant Explosives and Protect Territory. You can easily score full VP with these if they are unannounced however I almost always announce Protect Territory because it's so damn easy to score on. 

That's who I'd go with for a Guild Master. Overall though I think the Ressers are best suited for Reconnoiter, especially Nicodem. He can just spam summon Necro Punks, Night Terrors, Crooligans and the likes and have them run rings around the enemy. 

I'm not sure if she is my 'favorite master for recon' but I learned a couple tricks from Joel's blog that gave me a surprisingly good game in recon with Perdita.  I've been focusing on Perdita in every strategy, I've been testing the theory that each master can score 4 in every strategy, and while she does it a little bit differently than a minion heavy list like Lucius or Hoffman might, you can get a model advantage a different way.  The bloody way.

Even with an 8 model crew (with one peon) this has worked.

Assuming standard deployment, put half of your models in one of your own table quarters, and the other half in the other.  Then put Perdita into the no-scoring bubble in the middle of the table and then just skin her smoke-wagon and go to town.

She can quickly remove the cheap and plentiful minions as they try and cross the table, and if anyone wants to take her out, they'll have to send their own models into the no-scoring bubble.  Activation disadvantages are rapidly erased, especially because a lot of people focus on activation density rather than survivability in this strat.

Played this way, it's fairly easy to get the full 4 points.  You won't deny your opponent any of their points initially, but it won't be long against most crews where you'll be able to walk over the line and shut down their scoring.

As for schemes if I was playing Perdita, bodyguard, protect territory, and outflank seem very achievable with this plan.  

Looking at this for Recon:

Sonnia -- 4 Pool
 +Cherufe's Imprint [1]
 +Counterspell Aura [1]
 +Reincarnation [1]

Malifaux Child [3]
Guardian [8]
Ryle [10]
Witchling Handler [8]
 +Lead Lined Coat [2]
Witchling Stalker [5]
Witchling Stalker [5]
Witchling Stalker [5]

Basic idea is Sonnia, Malichild and Guardian go up the middle of the board to support either corner (and help to make more wicthlings). If anyone tries to take down Sonnia use Flame Walls and the Guardian to convince them to go somewhere else. 

The handler and Ryle take up 1 side and the Witchlings the other side. Goal would be to kill your opponents models with fire to bring out more witchlings. 

Hoffman!

Err, on second thoughts...

Eh, it wouldn't be so bad.   I've noticed from playing Hoffman that you really only need to clump together for the first few turns to use your souped up stats to get an early advantage.  So taking that mentality and using the Hoffball to sweep INTO your opponent's most contested table quarter, and use Watchers to claim another relatively uncontested table quarter.  Then once the Hoffball has smashed away a large portion of the enemy crew, use Machine Puppet to disperse your crew to the various table quarters to try to prevent the enemy from scoring more points. 

That said, he probably isn't the best at it...