Decaying Aura Redux

rancor709

We played a game yesterday with the new Decaying Aura, Misaki vs Seamus at 50ss, Reconnoiter strategy. 

Without going into a full report, Decaying Aura most certainly didn't break the game.  Misaki just used a soulstone for :+fate  to her Defense and :-fate  to Seamus's damage when he shot at her, which cancelled out his focus when it came to damage and left him at an uncheatable weak damage against her.  Then Misaki was in combat and using her soulstones to prevent the damage from everything else around her while taking Seamus's slap-slaps to the face. 

It eventually ended in Seamus's favor, 8-5, after the game went to turn 6, allowing him to kill Misaki for his Assassinate and then destroy two of her scheme markers to stop two of her Breakthrough points.   All in all, Decaying Aura felt better balanced, as it still allowed Misaki to get in and use her soulstones to prevent damage from non-Seamus sources while in combat with him, which was a nice trade-off for the no-prevention range he gained on his gun. 

Seamus did gain some advantage out of his gun by firing off a shot at Rusty Alyce, who took a lucky severe damage flip to the face without being able to do much about it, followed by a Live for Pain to finish her off.  Neither of us felt like it was too powerful of an upgrade on Seamus. 

• Like 3

I saw it auto kill Dreamer on turn 2 thanks to the splash damage not being preventable. Personally I think the upgrade is a big problem cause it basically removes an entire part of the game mechanic away for one model. And of course the model that will take it will be something big and scary. There is no range or limitation to it anymore, it should cost 3 stones for what it does. Maybe it wont break the game, maybe it wont be this big OP thing that ruins games, but its a flaw and IMO messes with the core functionality of the game.

I have to ask, why weren't other models at least more than 2" from the Dreamer so only severe could tap him with the Blast? Also, in that scenario, since you need severe to tap the Dreamer and cause 2 Wd, how many attacks did he throw that got severe damage in the first 2 turns? Also, were the models near the dreamer in Cover or in the open? and a Stitched together with Creepy Fog up?

• 2 weeks later...

I saw it auto kill Dreamer on turn 2 thanks to the splash damage not being preventable. Personally I think the upgrade is a big problem cause it basically removes an entire part of the game mechanic away for one model. And of course the model that will take it will be something big and scary. There is no range or limitation to it anymore, it should cost 3 stones for what it does. Maybe it wont break the game, maybe it wont be this big OP thing that ruins games, but its a flaw and IMO messes with the core functionality of the game.

I must be missing something how cone the splash is not preventable?

Decaying Aura: The portion of the ability which disallows Soulstone use has been split off into a separate ability that only affects models being targeted by the model with the Upgrade, rather than being part of the aura. (7/1/14)

Dreamer was not the target and if he was and he used safe in my bed he is still not the target. Now if he faced tanked all the shots and or had no hand then yeah 3 hits with no black joker on any damage means a dead dreamer.