Clarification on Paralyzed models please

asrian

Question

I know paralyze condition disappears on end of activation (per P. 52 rules). Just curious how it's handled if someone paralyzes prior to a model's activation.

Case in point, I had a game earlier today with my Pandora Crew vs a friend's Seamus crew. He moved up and paralyzed Teddy (who had yet to activate). We, incorrectly, were ending it after the End Phase (the joy of both of us glossing over the entire sentence on Page 52, which we now know better about :) ). 

Now, I wanted to activated Teddy to heal him his +2 regen. So, even though he was paralyzed should the turn sequence have gone thusly, or am I incorrect: Crooked Man Paralyzes Teddy due to attack trigger > My turn, Activate Teddy and auto heal +2 wounds, End Activation and Remove Paralysis > Opponents turn again to activate a model?

I'm assuming that's basically the sequence I would have to do (basically just activating to remove condition, then going right back to my opponent for his next move), but I wanted to be sure for future game purposes.

Sorry, if this is all a bit rambling and worded funky, tired and trying to type it out between cooking dinner.  :D

19 answers to this question

Yes and no. You would declare Teddy's Activation, but the only thing that would happen would be that he clears the Paralyze Condition. No others abilities are resolved when you're Paralyzed.....so no Regen, but next turn he would get to Activate normally.

Guess I'm still stuck in 1.5 land sometimes.

The regen I'm honestly in dispute about there as it's a passive ability (no AP used and auto happens upon the model's activation).

Regeneration +2: When this model Activates it heals + 2 damage.

Paralyze on the other hand just causes an unactivated model to generate no AP and declare no actions (of which, for regen, none are declared they just happen the moment you say you're activating Teddy). In the case of him becoming paralyzed during his activation, then the Regen has already taken place.

That is why I'd think the activation would be: Teddy (Paralyzed already) activates, Auto Regen, Generates no AP/can't declare any actions, ends activation, Remove Paralyze, move to next player.

If I'm wrong, then by all means please correct me, but I can't find anything to dispute my reasoning thus far.

I am going to follow this thread a bit, as my group have basically played with a paralyzed model completely skips their turn- meaning no passive healing or anything else.

That was how the previous edition worked. In M2E, as several people already pointed out, you only skip certain parts of your activation. So indeed, you get Regen heal on a Paralyzed model. The rules are pretty clear on this.

We play it that way, too. It means that Francisco and Papa can deal out buffs and Dita can use her push, even if paralyzed. Which is strange but cool.

Remember that paralyzed models have no engagement range. Thus, it can make sense to activate them early for disengagement strikes and such.

If a Paralyzed model has no Engagement Range, and therefore can't make disengaging strikes.........I assume then that it also could not be 'Obeyed' to make a melee attack.....but could make a ranged attack if un-engaged, or cast a spell.

I'd like to know this one as well. Though, thinking about it, if the Obey would work, then I think it would do so exactly as you have described due to the 0" melee range the model currently would have if paralyzed.

Also, I'm assuming (but not sure) that the Obey would not trigger the "activation/paralyzed" part of the condition as it is not being controlled by the original model's owner, but instead by the enemy for a one off ability. 

Glad to read this clarification, we too have been playing it incorrectly (1.5 style).

Thanks

Also keep in mind that Fast and Slow also are removed, like Paralyzed, at the end of the model's activation, and not at the end of the turn (P52 Rulebook).

paralyze is generate 0 ap and take no actions, so (0) AP actions would be skipped as well.

Exactly.

If a Paralyzed model has no Engagement Range, and therefore can't make disengaging strikes.........I assume then that it also could not be 'Obeyed' to make a melee attack.....but could make a ranged attack if un-engaged, or cast a spell.

True, as well. Although it's a little strange... Remember that you can't take :ranged actions if engaged or engaging sth. Having no melee range doesn't automatically mean you're not engaged.