Bengt's painting

Bengt

Steam Arachnids, the models are just adorable so they got a more upbeat colour scheme.

SteamArachnid11_zps4sxkt1l9.jpg

SteamArachnid12_zpseqd9rivr.jpg

SteamArachnid13_zpsz2ro0qtm.jpg

And all together!

SteamArachnidSwarm111213_zpsyragdolk.jpg

They each have a magnet in their belly and there are nails in the bases.

All my Arcanists are thus painted. I do have some lesser factions (like Ressers) to paint until Ironsides hits the stores. With her fist!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My cunning plan was to finish up my Outcasts since I didn't have that many and then paint Ironsides... But since Ironsides has taken over Wyrd's warehouse and is punching everyone in the face (the story about missing cards is obviously just misdirection!) I'll have to paint something else until Wyrd has collected enough cookies to appease Ms. Ironsides.

So I started on some dirty Ressers. First out is Ashigaru. Since their Yari are rusted (it's the rules!) I decided that they would have rusty armour as well, though I might have gone a little overboard with the rust, I don't know. Anyway, the rust made them kind of colourful, at least on the undead scale, so I decided on grey sashimono instead of red. I chose the symbol because Izamu has it on his armour, since I figure they were his troops.

Ashigaru1_zpskb05fvnn.jpg

Ashigaru2_zpsofuu8ffx.jpg

Ashigaru3_zpsyeyr0jqk.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments.

I think the convict scheme is suitable for practising freehand. The very simple basic pattern lets you concentrate on the fall of the fabric instead of the artistry of the pattern itself. The "Danny" convict furthers this since his squatting pose gives sharper bends around the knees and butt.

When painting symbols I recommend having a reference close at hand. In this case I printed out it several sizes to have on my desk while painting. Since this is a common Shinto symbol (three tomoe or mitsudomoe) it was easy to find clipart of it.

Greys are also easy colours for this since a light grey still easily covers a darker grey and you will need to "fix" things when doing freehand. :P

The wood bases was made by cutting strips of plasticard and then scratching them with coarse grit sandpaper before gluing them to the bases. You can also make the grain by drag a razor saw along the strips.

• 3 weeks later...

I've finished the Masters of the Path crew box.

Yan Lo, perhaps best known for wanting to marry Gracie. He also has a freakishly large right hand, what is up with that?

YanLo_zps988l8ifk.jpg

His little buddy.

SoulPorter_zpsjosgydxv.jpg

And the real selling point for this box (:P), Chiaki! 

ChiakiTheNiece_zpsx43e9ytj.jpg

Everyone together.

MastersOfThePath_zpsasehfgkc.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just wow.  I love your work all around.  The yan lo crew is amazing, and I love how Chiaki stands out as a contrast piece.  Would you mind sharing some details on exactly what colors/techniques you used on the flames at her feet?  Is it just one shade of purple 'highlighted' on white or did you use any different midtones?  I'm looking to get a very similar effect on a lynch crew... if I can get my blending anywhere near as smooth as yours.

Love the nurses as well.  Another great choice in color palettes. 

Thanks.

I used Heavy Violet mixed with Dead White (both Vallejo Game). Often different shades of a particular colour from a manufacturer differ more in hue than in tint and shade, e.g. in the case of violet they'll have different amounts of red and blue instead of just being lighter or darker. So for things like this I mix with white (or grey or black depending). Her dress only uses Heavy Violet mix with Dead White as well, so the darkest part of the smoke has quite a bit of white in it.

I do most of the mixing on the wet palette, doing up a couple of drops with different amounts of white. While it's always good to keep paint thin it's extra important when shading. I only use water myself, but there are products for it as well, that change the flow, surface tension, drying time, but I'm not familiar with any so can't make any concrete recommendations. Occasionally I'll mix further from the drops on my thumbnail or on the mini.

As for application order I tend to start at the extreme ends and meet in the middle when doing fire/smoke, but there will be a fair amount of going back and forth to fix up earlier shades. If you keep your paints thin you can do a lot of layers before it starts getting thick.

While the cut of the Nurses uniforms is rather silly, I did some research for colours used during WWI. Specifically the British nurses wore a blue dress with a white pinafore. The classic nurse cape (which seems to be more of a mid 20th century thing though) was often a dark colour so I picked a dark blue so I wouldn't get too many colours as I knew I wanted a contrasting colour for the syringes and one of them is huge.

• Like 1