Bengt's painting

Bengt

I'm ever so slowly painting my Hired Swords, first out is the Student of Conflict. I'll paint the base once I get a few more finished. Chequered white/black/grey/terracotta, or maybe just grey tiles, dunno. I'll probably try to smooth the shading in the face a little too. The thing on the right of the dress on the back shot was a piece detritus from the plaster on my thumb, so just ignore that.

Outcast_SoC_croppedxcf-Front_zps752ee8cd
Outcast_SoC_croppedxcf-Back_zpsef5a3dd1.

The rest of the sisters. As with SoC bases not done and some touch ups needed. She cleverly hides in the photo but that silly goose Vanessa has dipped her left hand in blue paint!

SoC was photographed in the unforgiving glare of the day star at like 1/500. These were taken at 1/15 with an overcast. I should probably get some 6500 K lights for more consistency.

Outcast_Vs_croppedxcf_VictoriaA_Front_zp
Outcast_Vs_croppedxcf_VictoriaA_Back_zps

Outcast_Vs_croppedxcf_VictoriaB_Front_zp
Outcast_Vs_croppedxcf_VictoriaB_Back_zps

Outcast_Vs_croppedxcf_Vanessa_Front_zpsb
Outcast_Vs_croppedxcf_Vanessa_Back_zps1f

Thanks for the nice comments.

Next up is Red Ronin (I think this is also a Marvel villain). Instead of going with "safe" complementary colours I tried out an analogous scheme for this one centred on red with orange and purple accents. Do you think it's working?

Outcasts_Ronin_croppedxcf_1_Front_zps91d
Outcasts_Ronin_croppedxcf_1_Back_zpse915

I managed to paint this scheme very quickly (for me). The Vs were fairly far along when I finished the Student, this one only had skin and (crazy) eyes done.

Preliminary plan is to give the other two Ronins similar schemes centred on other colours, though it's somewhat hampered by reasonable hair colours only falling in a rather narrow arc of the colour wheel and I don't want them to have crazy hair colours. I guess one could have black hair outside the scheme though.

Edit: I also can't figure out what the thing on her right hand is supposed to be, it feels much too large to be jewellery. 

The scheme works well, the purple works very well as a analogous spot colour on the model, its colour hue, contasting with the red rather nicely, The oranges have less of a contrast but this is a good thing, too many major spot colours on a model can work against the composition of the sculpt. It might be  good idea, for the next ones to do a similar concept, a main colour theme, with a major contrast spot colour and minor secondary colour both being analogous. So green uniform with blonde hair and blue spot colour, or orange unifrom with red hair and yellow spot colour.

Using the same concept of composition will make the 3 miniatures have a uniform aesthetic even tho they are wildly different colours.

I made a Void Wretch from GW Tyranid Gaunt bits and some green stuff. Looking at the pictures I found of the original VWs it seemed like the legs didn't have a consistent layout (I guess Obliteration doesn't care about silly things like that), so I put the legs in arbitrarily positions while keeping it balanced. Do you think it works as a VW? Any ides for improvements? It's easy to make so I'm going to build some more once I finalise the design. Hopefully my green stuffing will get smoother with practice. :)

Outcasts_Void_Wretch_WiPxcf_DSCN1067JPG_

Size comparison:
Outcasts_Void_Wretch_WiPxcf_DSCN1074JPG_

The Extraterrestrial Atomic Furnace put up a good showing for today's photo session!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been slacking a bit, but now all my Wyrd models are done... for now... shouldn't be too long until the "May" releases show up. :) Going to get started on the Void Wretches too (I've built three).

Anyway, screenshot or it didn't happen.

Viks_Group_zps42bb1bdd.jpg

Hmm, the model arrangement is kind of pants in the group shot, all crowded on the left (also Vanessa is picking the Red Ronin's nose).

Viks_VikA_F_zps033c36df.jpgViks_VikA_B_zps28002426.jpg
Viks_VikB_F_zps29d1babc.jpgViks_VikB_B_zps4ef28a83.jpg
Viks_Van_F_zpsa3bf38e9.jpgViks_Van_B_zps0407b3e5.jpg
Viks_SoC_F_zpsb30768b5.jpgViks_SoC_B_zpsfe6d3769.jpg

Apparently you can't put 17 pictures in one post. The error only say "too many" though, so lets try with nine.

• Like 1

BENGT,

This is really good work overall. I like how you went so bold on the colors. The red ronin is my favorite.

My only suggesting is to be careful with white. Not only does it highlight other colors that run onto it from close painted areas, often on large pieces (like the vics and student of conflicts sword sheaths) it gives the appearance that you didn't paint these at all.

I know I have had many issues with white paint :)

Nighthater

• 1 month later...

My rail workers. For some reason the skin got really glossy, so maybe I should put some matt varnish on it. First time using static grass, and that is also kind of glossy and a maybe a bit too colourful. So might try to paint it more in dried grass colour and varnish it if it's still too glossy. I'll do that on a test bed first though.

Went with a very drab palette to highlight them being workers and all. Added one accent colour for each, red green blue again, might become a thing. :P

Red guy seems to basically be the terminator with just metal inside him, which is lucky I guess because there is no way he could wipe his bum with those arms!

Railworker1_zps841b6d6d.jpg

Green guy's fleshy arm is hilariously oversized so maybe he got a graft from McMourning when Mei Fengs wasn't looking.

Railworker2_zps52d09866.jpg

Blue guy, also has very thick arms, but of normal length.

Railworker3_zps5afce4d6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Sigmar3.

Kang the Conqueror Shoveller

Clearly an older model, he actually has a larger base than needed. :) And what is up with the wrench at the end of his braid? There is no indication what keeps it there, maybe he glued his hair to it, or he has prehensile hair!

I painted the grass (on both Kang and the workers) a little with Desert Yellow, so it's a bit duller now.

Kang_zpsc9077f8c.jpg

• Like 1

Workers and Kang look nice :) Well painted! Although maybe you should do some washes on the metal? Their prosthetics could look a bit more worn I think :) Just noticed how differently we painted Kang's face. Yours looks so kind and helpful, like the workers' best friend. Mine kind of looks like a douchebag. It's interesting how the way you paint the face of the same model in different ways can change the expression of a model so much.

Thanks.

Kang is just a big teddybear, he should look nice! Seriously though I have to try real hard to get the tiny Wyrd faces to be symmetrical, and not look a mess or crazy. So I have limited control on how nice they end up looking. :P The moustache was deliberate though, the face looked like it should have one.