Dawn Serpent

knghtpiper

As the Dawn Serpent is coming out with the next wave of releases I am trying to figure out if I want to buy it or not.  At 10 ss it cost just as much as Ototo, so to me it seems a bit expensive to be scheme runner.  It has a good number of wounds and can give out poison and burning conditions, and flight which are nice.

I was wondering if anyone has played with one yet and what are their thoughts.

I'm going to grab one to use with Toshiro due to it being a minion. Also liking the 'hard to kill' / easy(ish) heal ability combo and the benefit of range and melee ability.

But then again I just hate Izamu the dull.

Not seen the model yet but the art looks good.

He's a bloody awesome model and for a 10ss minion he ought to be.

Frame for murder is his bread and butter, if you see a opponents model looking strangely vulnerable take it out with DS just in case. 

Are you referring to that if minions kill FFM targets, no points are scored, or am I missing something?

I used him with Marcus for a game against Lilith in the UK Masters in January (the model was proxied using Mizuchi the Awakened, one of the Bushido range). He is actually quite resilient and can frustrate opposing casters with his abilities. I like him but I think his uses are a little situational, so selection depends heavily on the Strat and Schemes.

I've been running the Serpent in my Misaki crew. Decent, not game-changing; probably need to use it differently.

Calls To The Chi makes the darn thing very resilient, especially when you're mixing it up with a pack of enemy casters (e.g. Neverborn). Breathing fire works quite well, especially if (unlike me) you remember the built-in trigger to hand out Burning--decent mid-range plus flight = surprised opponents, and you're durable enough to take the return attack.

Counterspell is really useful, especially against Obey crews.

And yeah, minion, so when I slip Toshiro in the list things will get ugly.

• 2 weeks later...