obey and terrifying

Zwergenkrieger

Question

Hi all,

the following accured in our last game:

Zoraida obeys an opposing Barbaros to walk within melee range of Bad Juju who is terrifying. Therefore Barbaros has to do a horror duel. Now what player flips/cheats for this duel? Zoraida´s, because her crew is controlling Barbaros due to obey? Or is it the opposing player who "owns" Barbaros?

19 answers to this question

The player whom casted obey on Barbaros gets to do the flip.

From the rulebook:

"The player who controls an action flips for

the model. This is usually the player who is

control of the model's Crew, but some Actions

(like Obey) will temporarily change who the

controller of an action is."

Same thing goes if you, for instance, cast obey on a a Guild Guard who you then force to shoot at Bad Juju, then you can let it fail the horror duel and make it paralyze. Models like Sybelle and Huggy got a clause in their pseudo-obeys which lets the enemy treat them as friendly during the duration of the action. Obey does not have such wording, so it is quite a good way of getting enemies paralyzed.

The player whom casted obey on Barbaros gets to do the flip.

From the rulebook:

"The player who controls an action flips for

the model. This is usually the player who is

control of the model's Crew, but some Actions

(like Obey) will temporarily change who the

controller of an action is."

Same thing goes if you, for instance, cast obey on a a Guild Guard who you then force to shoot at Bad Juju, then you can let it fail the horror duel and make it paralyze. Models like Sybelle and Huggy got a clause in their pseudo-obeys which lets the enemy treat them as friendly during the duration of the action. Obey does not have such wording, so it is quite a good way of getting enemies paralyzed.

If for e.g. Huggy and Ama were in the same crew Huggy could heed my voice on models to attack Ama and visa versa which would cause paralyze.

Just keep in mind that the model that used Obey (or Comply) counts as friendly during that action, so you do not take Horror Duels is say, Sybelle uses Comply on a model and makes that model attack her. Sybelle would have to use Comply and then force the model to attack say A Hanged. Then flip the duel and cheat it down to Paralyze the model in question.

Just keep in mind that the model that used Obey (or Comply) counts as friendly during that action, so you do not take Horror Duels is say, Sybelle uses Comply on a model and makes that model attack her. Sybelle would have to use Comply and then force the model to attack say A Hanged. Then flip the duel and cheat it down to Paralyze the model in question.

Wrong information.

It works that way for Sybell and hungry but not for everyone else unless the card says so.

Huggy got a clause in their pseudo-obeys which lets the enemy treat them as friendly during the duration of the action. Obey does not have such wording, so it is quite a good way of getting enemies paralyzed.

I thought Huggy's Heed my Voice only made the enemy model consider Huggy as Friendly?

Hi all,

the following accured in our last game:

Zoraida obeys an opposing Barbaros to walk within melee range of Bad Juju who is terrifying. Therefore Barbaros has to do a horror duel. Now what player flips/cheats for this duel? Zoraida´s, because her crew is controlling Barbaros due to obey? Or is it the opposing player who "owns" Barbaros?

Hi Zwergenkrieger,

I guess you are talking about our game here, eh? I admit I doubted your interpretation of the rules back then, but acknowledge now that you were totally right. There is an older thread somewhere on this forum (which has a similar or even identical titel, something like "obey and terrifying") that explains it in detail, and also refers to some special problem with Ama no Zako. So I am quite surprised there is still so much discussion on this thread here. Anyway, I will certainly watch out for enemy obeys in the future, that´s quite a powerful combo.

Looking forward to our next encounter,

Janno

I can see some confusion because in the old rules Obey did change the model to friendly.

But that rule went the way of the Dodo in M2E.....there is a call-out box in the rulebook that specifically addresses this.....and as Hypoking stated, without some kind of specific rule on a card (like on Huggy and Sybelle), forcing an enemy to do something does not change its affiliation.