Yan lo as Ten thunders? why?

Barsuk

I've used Onryo with Yan Lo and I gotta say I'm a fan.  I usually end up running two.  Then the Soul Porter is handing out Chi like candy, Izamu becomes nearly impossible to kill, and dishes out the pain. 

I had an opponent nearly quit when I Transcendenced 3 Ashigaru, Izamu, Toshiro the Daimyo, and a Belle.  He was having enough trouble getting through all my Hard to wound modifiers, let alone the armor.  And THEN the next turn the crew just destroyed everything in reach.

I only use Yan Lo as a Ten Thunder and have yet to ever feel like I am a 1%'er.

My crew is generally (@50SS)

Yan Lo with his upgrades (depending on opponent)

Soul Porter

Toshiro (his upgrade, +1)

Chiaki (her upgrade)

Izamu (recalled training)

2x Onryo

Thunder Archer.

Obviously you have to juggle upgrades, but to be honest I rarely go for summoning Yan or Toshiro

Misdirection, Blot the Sky and Recalled Training are my Upgrades of choice

I only use Yan Lo as a Ten Thunder and have yet to ever feel like I am a 1%'er.

My crew is generally (@50SS)

Yan Lo with his upgrades (depending on opponent)

Soul Porter

Toshiro (his upgrade, +1)

Chiaki (her upgrade)

Izamu (recalled training)

2x Onryo

Thunder Archer.

Obviously you have to juggle upgrades, but to be honest I rarely go for summoning Yan or Toshiro

Misdirection, Blot the Sky and Recalled Training are my Upgrades of choice

Without Blot the sky, since it is not official yet, do you still feel that an archer got a place in that crew or are they dependent on it to be successful? 

I'm eventually going to run some Wastrels with the Promises upgrade in my Yan Lo crew. The Wastrels give a great boost to healing in the crew and a range 10" blast is always nice. Giving Yan Lo the Brutal Khakkhara upgrade gives Yan Lo the ML attack so now he can get some bonuses. Also, I'd give Izamu either Recalled Training or Servant of 5 Dragons. 

There are good options for taking Yan Lo as 10T it just takes looking at things differently.

• Like 1

Without Blot the sky, since it is not official yet, do you still feel that an archer got a place in that crew or are they dependent on it to be successful?

Well if you're playing a friendly game it would be d!ckish of your opponent to use that argument to disallow you using the upgrade.

Tournament play I understand its exclusion.

But to be honest I have been using this list before the Blot the Sky upgrade and the Archer is a fantastic piece for this crew.

Range. Doesn't randomize when firing into engagement. Blasts. Whats not to like?

Well if you're playing a friendly game it would be d!ckish of your opponent to use that argument to disallow you using the upgrade.

Tournament play I understand its exclusion.

But to be honest I have been using this list before the Blot the Sky upgrade and the Archer is a fantastic piece for this crew.

Range. Doesn't randomize when firing into engagement. Blasts. Whats not to like?

Do you find that their "does not randomize"-ability gives them the edge in a Yan Lo crew over Katanka Sniper?

My thought here would be simply, "how it compares to Freikorps Trappers, Hans, or Katanaka Snipers."

I just don't think it stands up that well at cost compared to other options.

That said it's a discussion for another thread, really.

My thought here would be simply, "how it compares to Freikorps Trappers, Hans, or Katanaka Snipers."

I just don't think it stands up that well at cost compared to other options.

That said it's a discussion for another thread, really.

Not even in a melee centric Yan Lo crew where the non-randomization and ignoring LOS would be a lot of use?

Not even in a melee centric Yan Lo crew where the non-randomization and ignoring LOS would be a lot of use?

Not even.  If I'm bringing a ranged damage unit in such a crew I'm probably bringing it to do something well away from where the melee ball is.  If it's in the melee ball, just let melee handle it.  So if we're turf warring or something, rather than fire into melee, why not just bring another 7ish stone melee model?  I hear Punk Zombies are nice this time of year.  10T actually has no shortage of options in that stone range, though.

And if you're bringing a ranged unit to attempt to affect something outside of the melee ball, say, pick off enemy scheme runners, I like many of the other options at the same price point more.

Not even.  If I'm bringing a ranged damage unit in such a crew I'm probably bringing it to do something well away from where the melee ball is.  If it's in the melee ball, just let melee handle it.  So if we're turf warring or something, rather than fire into melee, why not just bring another 7ish stone melee model?  I hear Punk Zombies are nice this time of year.  10T actually has no shortage of options in that stone range, though.

And if you're bringing a ranged unit to attempt to affect something outside of the melee ball, say, pick off enemy scheme runners, I like many of the other options at the same price point more.

Viable and reasonable thoughts! It might come in handy to have a range attacker at times whom can either snipe of wounded targets or provide with another angle of attack. Seems like a lot boils down to playstyle too.

• Like 1

Viable and reasonable thoughts! It might come in handy to have a range attacker at times whom can either snipe of wounded targets or provide with another angle of attack. Seems like a lot boils down to playstyle too.

The way I look at it.... The advantage in this situation is they can suppoty 2 seperate melee balls while still holding a 3rd location. This is actually very valuable.

• Like 3

I always wanted to test Yan Lo as Spirit Master with max Komainu and Tengu.

I took out some proxies for the Komainu for the 1st time - they are amazing. The spirit build for Yan Lo really gives him a very different play style and a lot of synergy. Don't forget he can use his Retainer ability to bring in the Onryo to a TT crew. They can then had out the Adversary condition.

From my experience the TT upgrades tend to have more use than the ressers. Recalled Training is great on all of the ancestors but superb on Izamu. Misdirection can be great for Yan Lo if he is getting mixed up with a few opponents. On the other hand while Decaying Aura is always great I find that Unnerving Aura less useful (as Izamu tends to be avoided by most of my opponents so I have to bring them to him). 

What leaving the ressers does is take away the Rotten Belle's which are a great minion for Yan Lo but offers up some other synergies from the TT.

I took out some proxies for the Komainu for the 1st time - they are amazing. The spirit build for Yan Lo really gives him a very different play style and a lot of synergy. Don't forget he can use his Retainer ability to bring in the Onryo to a TT crew. They can then had out the Adversary condition.

What did the Komainu do for you? They seem to be really good at either protect the ancestors, run after objectives, or kill other objective runners. But that is only my impression of them. Will give them a go soon!

They where my heavy hitters - I needed to take out the Mech rider and tie up Iron Sides in turn 4.

I used Yin to put the Mech rider on negitive WP and CA flips and then used Toshiro's bubble to give them positive flips (canceling out stubborn). Going after WP tends to get past a lot of defensive triggers and with no damage reduction two of them took it out in 1 turn. But as you mention they where very versitile, so before that they where working with Toshiro using his push and fast to put down claim markers.

Overall I found them very solid for 5 SS

They where my heavy hitters - I needed to take out the Mech rider and tie up Iron Sides in turn 4.

I used Yin to put the Mech rider on negitive WP and CA flips and then used Toshiro's bubble to give them positive flips (canceling out stubborn). Going after WP tends to get past a lot of defensive triggers and with no damage reduction two of them took it out in 1 turn. But as you mention they where very versitile, so before that they where working with Toshiro using his push and fast to put down claim markers.

Overall I found them very solid for 5 SS

I was surprised by your answer of playing them as beaters, but I guess that only plays into their versatility. Great stuff! A very solid 5ss choice indeed!

• 2 weeks later...

as far as im aware, the main reasons you take yan lo as 10t is for recalled training,, izamu loves it, yin likes it, toshiro likes it, chaki will take it, yan doing a lightning dance multi hit brutal khakkhar attack loves it. and as when things die and get rezed they lose upgrades that works as In the turn you think you will die pop it, you get lots of resist + flips and you do a lot of damage and the fact its gone doesn't matter as you would lose it anyway, then when you come back and get healed up your not missing an upgrade, as I read some were, 1ss gives you 1 + flip, recalled training will give you about 4 at least for the cost of 1 ss

Yan likes being a Thunder also because it opens a ton of amazing models into his lot. Lone Swordsman is amazing no matter what, Katanaka snipers and archers give him some much lacking ranged presence, Kang lets him destroy enemy undead and constructs with baffiling ease, Sidir gives a + to Ml attack flips to pretty much all the ancestors and Yan Lo himself, Tengu are some of the best objective grabbers in the game, Ten Thunder brothers are some of the best generalists in the game and so on. Now that Yan Lo doesn't really give a damn about what you field with him, he can get good use out of anything and that shows.

he cares a little, he wants spirits to give them 1 actions, it is possible to give things spirit but it gets very ap and chi intensive, were all aware how important ap are in a game.

and if he doesn't hire ancestors then he cant summon them

I can count with one hand how many times I've actually used Revenge of the Yomi even when my intention was using that and if you don't hire ancestors, you simply don't take the Reliquaries upgrade and be done with it.

I mostly use Yan Lo as a ranged support till I get an ascended upgrade to keep him alive and bone ascendent and just hunpo assault the hell out of everything till they take him down.

It basically has a marginal to none existent effect if you decide to play passing on it and Ten Thunders has a wealth of awesome pieces to offer, resser wise on the other hand, I don't really think he gets anything that interesting outside of rotten belles/dead doxies that he can't get with his retainers.

• Like 1

he cares a little, he wants spirits to give them 1 actions, it is possible to give things spirit but it gets very ap and chi intensive, were all aware how important ap are in a game.

and if he doesn't hire ancestors then he cant summon them

He does and he doesn't - Yan Lo can play a very heavy spirit crew and use this to add more actions or he can go completely away from that and use high value SS models (mostly ancestors but some others) which he can then heal and assist.

Like a lot of M2E masters he has multiple play styles with his crews. I've played both and found both effective, how much you get from them depends on your play style.