Yan lo as Ten thunders? why?

Barsuk

In my experiences with the 6 Duel Faction 10T Masters almost 99% of the time they are better off playing the alternate faction.

• McCabe tends to be better with Guild due to the sheer number of Guild Guard he can take along with him however he really is very good with 10T as well. 
  • Yan Lo tends to favor the Rezzers for the reasons you have mentioned. 
  • Mei Feng definitely gets on more with Arcanists due to 10T's distinct lack of constructs for her to jump around with but mainly in my experience Arcanist generic upgrades are so much better for her than the generic 10T ones. 
  • Lynch is more often Neverborn than 10T for things like the Terror Tots, Depleted & Beckoners etc (I know he can take 4 Darkened models but often you want more than that)
  • Can't really speak for the Brewmaster but I'd assume he's better as a Gremlin than a 10T.
  • Misaki is the only master I see being played as 10T more often than Outcasts, saying that she really is stellar with the Outcasts but given her core crew is Last Blossom she can take that into Outcasts and still gain all the benefits of being Outcast as well. When I play her it's 10T 8 times out of 10. 

Overall I think most 10T dual faction Masters work better with their alternate faction but this by no means makes them any less great when declaring 10T, often it limits them to a lot of the generic 10T models that don't fit the theme or have less than ideal synergy with the crew. This is just my experiences at least. Perhaps others have seen it work the opposite to this?

Meh, 99% of what I field with him it wouldn't matter what I declare. Yan Lo only takes his native upgrades, and everything that I *want* to hire he has built in mechanics to do that with either faction. I'll normally toss Unnerving Aura on Izamu because you're just not getting away from that dude, but Ten Thunders has some upgrade that gives him :+fate to flips for a turn right? (book not on hand right now to look it up) so it's a flip of a coin really. I don't feel like the themed models he has lack anything overt enough to be pulling from other models in the faction I go with to make a big deal out of it. I need offense? I can hire Punk Zombies either way. Defense? Oh look, Ashigaru that I can buy/raise. I need a tank/hitter? Izamu/Yin. Yan Lo himself brings the range and some board control with Terra Cotta Curse. I don't see anything they can't work with by themselves, just using the Ancestors.

If you are in a tournament that requires you to pick a faction and stick with it through the entire tourney, picking 10k can really throw your opponent for a loop.  Since the masters are dual faction, they have a bit of an advantage on what they can bring to counter what your opponent declared or whatever benefits your scheme running the most.  So it is possible to slide from Misaki to Yan and throw your opponents completely off a counter build.

The down side to this is that you loose access to the other masters under your secondary faction.

If you are in a tournament that requires you to pick a faction and stick with it through the entire tourney, picking 10k can really throw your opponent for a loop.  Since the masters are dual faction, they have a bit of an advantage on what they can bring to counter what your opponent declared or whatever benefits your scheme running the most.  So it is possible to slide from Misaki to Yan and throw your opponents completely off a counter build.

The down side to this is that you loose access to the other masters under your secondary faction.

I think TT Is precisely a good faction for this purpose, your opponents aren't going to know what sort of crew you're going to field.

Also, many TT models are premium, and you can run all kinds of unexpected synergies.

McCabe can be strong with TT Archers, snipers and dragon. Izamu is very ugly with him.

Toshiro does really well paired with any crew that uses many minions.

Shen Long is not dual faction, so if you want to use him, no other options.

For Yan Lo, there's Misdirection. Graves and Sensei Yu can be very strong, acting as 'transport' options for Izamu, and Yan Lo.

In my experiences with the 6 Duel Faction 10T Masters almost 99% of the time they are better off playing the alternate faction.

• McCabe tends to be better with Guild due to the sheer number of Guild Guard he can take along with him however he really is very good with 10T as well. 
  • Yan Lo tends to favor the Rezzers for the reasons you have mentioned. 
  • Mei Feng definitely gets on more with Arcanists due to 10T's distinct lack of constructs for her to jump around with but mainly in my experience Arcanist generic upgrades are so much better for her than the generic 10T ones. 
  • Lynch is more often Neverborn than 10T for things like the Terror Tots, Depleted & Beckoners etc (I know he can take 4 Darkened models but often you want more than that)
  • Can't really speak for the Brewmaster but I'd assume he's better as a Gremlin than a 10T.
  • Misaki is the only master I see being played as 10T more often than Outcasts, saying that she really is stellar with the Outcasts but given her core crew is Last Blossom she can take that into Outcasts and still gain all the benefits of being Outcast as well. When I play her it's 10T 8 times out of 10. 

Overall I think most 10T dual faction Masters work better with their alternate faction but this by no means makes them any less great when declaring 10T, often it limits them to a lot of the generic 10T models that don't fit the theme or have less than ideal synergy with the crew. This is just my experiences at least. Perhaps others have seen it work the opposite to this?

This has not been my experience.  Even playing in fixed master setting I would not consider myself at a disadvantage by declaring Ten Thunders rather than the 'native' faction.  More specifically:

Lynch loves models with 'discard a card to do X' abilities like Rail Workers, Torakage, Wastrels and Thunder Archers.  Most of the core Darkened crew are dual faction anyway (you would have to really love Beckoners, Depleted and Stitched Together to need four of them together in a Ten Thunders crew) and anyway I do not regard them as 'auto take' options.

Mei Feng does not need to be in an all-construct crew.  A few around to have the option of Rail Walking to them is fine, and in any case she can take Metal Gamin and the Rail Golem in Ten Thunders (though I don't own either and have not missed them the times when I've been unable to borrow some).  Mei Feng has little in the way of benefits to her crew so strong, independent models like Izamu work perfectly well with her.  Toshiro is great with Rail Workers and also can turn some of the inevitable scrap markers back into constructs if you take Command the Graves.  If you can find a way for him to keep up, Mr Tannen combined with Vent Steam can make life very hard to get much damage onto Mei Feng.

Some of the cross-themed non-masters play really well together too. Izamu, Yin and Sidir all love the pushes that Mr Graves can offer; presumably Sensei Yu would be good for this too but I haven't tried it.  All minions (except the Thunder Archer) love Toshiro's aura and Kang of course benefits everyone in the right match ups.  Hungering Darkness really hates being on fire and Chiaki can solve that problem for it.

Mei + Toshiro and those cute little metal Foo Dogs should be really fun, you can also Trap bomb.. and pre-setup routes at the start of the game.. Both sound really useful to me.

But as people say one of the huge advantages of 10T is it's hard to predict what you are going to field.

• Like 1

Misdirection is a huge boost in power for any 10T master that doesn't need a full array of upgrades for their playstyle.

A ton of 10T models have very nice area boost effects which creates some non-explicit synergy in the crews. A nice example is toshiro with any minion heavy crew, or Kang against any resser (or potentially arcanist crew) and Sidir + promises in any henchmen/enforcer heavy crew.

Here's an example of synergies within 10T, for one master I've sort of theoried through. Because toshiro boosts minions, and the constructs mei wants are constructs, toshiro works very well anchoring mei's rail line. Toshiro also happens to add summoning to any crew, so adds that element to Mei crews. That summoning has synergy with the emberling, which drops scrap for a wound - something not too impressive for arcanist mei, but a huge early boost for 10T mei. The synergy continues into the avatar, but since that's not final I won't address that, but it currently ties nicely into everything. You likely build with komainu as your main anchors on the line, so want at least a second ancestor. Chiaki provides some condition removal, and can boost her chi. That chi can be passed to Toshiro to make him a better summoner and make the crew less card dependent.

• Like 2

..What is Spirit Master??

A Master that focuses on Minions, Enforcers or Henchmen with the Spirit Characteristic. At the moment there is Kirai being the obvious one but also Yan Lo and Molly. All of the aforementioned Masters deal with Spirit type models or at least have some synergy with them. Nico being the best summoner Ressers have can also dabble with the, but Yan Lo, Molly and Kirai tend to work with them more often than him. 

Spirit Master is refering to his upgrade, Spirit Acendant which gives him a (1) AP action that allows up to three Spirit models to take a (1) AP action within...8 inches I think, my printout is in my room. I believe it also gives him the Spirit characteristic as well, so he can basically give out two free AP to other models while taking his entire activation. Very useful. Being an Acendant upgrade, he cannot buy it but has to pay for it in Chi.

Spirit Master is refering to his upgrade, Spirit Acendant which gives him a (1) AP action that allows up to three Spirit models to take a (1) AP action within...8 inches I think, my printout is in my room. I believe it also gives him the Spirit characteristic as well, so he can basically give out two free AP to other models while taking his entire activation. Very useful. Being an Acendant upgrade, he cannot buy it but has to pay for it in Chi.

It's actually a 2 AP action from Lo and the only way to deal out spirit is using "Transcendence", so yeah, it's a very nice mass mini obey, but it requires setup. I would like to try using a list based on that someday though.

It's actually a 2 AP action from Lo and the only way to deal out spirit is using "Transcendence", so yeah, it's a very nice mass mini obey, but it requires setup. I would like to try using a list based on that someday though.

Just checked it out.... DAMN!!!

(2) Fury of Yomi: Up to three friendly Spirit models in :pulse 8 may immediately take a (1) Action.

Oops. Thanks Razhem. That's what I get for not bringing my folder into work. (Can't DL the cards on these computers either...grr) 

So was it giving him Incorporal with Spirit Acendant then? Having a senior moment. I know there was more than "Fury of the Yumi" on there...

Spirit Ascendant gives Incorporeal and Fury of Yomi. That's not at all bad for 2 Chi. 

Spirit Yan Lo also intrigues me, but our local Yan Lo player is 10T-focused and not Resser-focused, so he doesn't have the spirits to run.  Anyone interested in a vassal game to try him out?  I'll happily play foil, I'd just like to see him on the field.

As far as not running Yan Lo (or other masters) as 10T, one thing that hasn't been brought up really here yet is that in addition to the varied models and playstyles, as well as misdirection, 10T have some of the best generic upgrades in Malifaux.  Recalled Training is worth its weight in stones for sure.

There is a decent number of spirits in ten thunders, both Komainu and Tengu are spirits and transcendence lets you give out the characteristic too and being able to bring Onryo lets you fill the holes while getting some adversary in there too.

Also, Izamu with Recalled training against a target with Adversary is pure death on wheels.