"Push into base contact" clarification

Clement

Question

So had this come up in a game tonight.

Teddy uses Gobble You Up against an enemy Karina.  It states "Push this model into base contact with the target enemy model".

There's friendly daydreams in the way such that there's no way the Teddy could push into base contact on the near side of the model.  There *is* room on the far side of Karina though.  How does this work out?

My thought process is the push doesn't use the terms "towards" at all, so I'm not stuck going directly towards Karina, but I don't know if I get the flexibility to "loop around" to the open spot that would satisfy the ability.  Is this ability phrased just so that Teddy has *slightly* more freedom of movement?  Or is there real positioning room here.

10 answers to this question

All pushed are directly, no twisting turning or jumping over stuff. If there are models or terrain in the way, the push stops when the pushed model makes contact with it.

all pushes "toward" are directly toward.  Teddy features none of that language though, just "push into base contact".  I think you have some flexibility in the direction you move, but in the end I suspect you have to move in a straight line that ends with Teddy in base contact with the target.

This reminds me: do you need to push directly toward the center of the base or can push towards one or the other side (as long as you would end up in base contact when going in a straight line)? This can matter especially if the base you pushing towards is big.

When you're moving towards or away, it is directly.  If you're approaching on an angle like you describe, that's not "directly toward" anymore...  so no dice.  I'm wondering if Teddy's lack of any "toward" language though gets you around that, so he has that flexibility in his push.

• Like 1

The chapter about pushes says that all pushes in relation to other objects have to occur directly towards. We play that every push towards other models is measured from base center to base center. Minimizes interpretation and/of wording issues.

• Like 2

The above sounds reasonable - Teddy would pass through the Incorporeal Daydream, unless he couldn't be positioned on the other side without overlapping the Daydream, in which case the action would fail and Teddy wouldn't move at all.

If the model in the way wasn't Incorporeal, then the Push would stop when Teddy made contact  with that model, meaning you'd probably want to reposition Teddy before casting taking the action.

The chapter about pushes says that all pushes in relation to other objects have to occur directly towards. We play that every push towards other models is measured from base center to base center. Minimizes interpretation and/of wording issues.

I see what you're saying. It's mentions pushes in relation to other objects "such as towards or away". those aren't specific sub-instances of push, they're examples of ways a push might be in relation to another object. Fair enough I guess.