Disengaging strikes when passing through melee range

Brass Monkey

Question

Hey guys and girls...

I'd be grateful if someone could confirm my interpretation of the disegaging rules, specifically where two models are initially outside of each other's melee range but then one activates and wants to walk through the melee range of another. I assume that at the point that the walking model would leave the other's melee range (or vice versa), the other model can choose to make a disengaging strike, which if successful would cancel the whole of the walking model's movement. Is this correct?

However you can presumably charge past another model and leave its melee range without triggering a disengaging strike?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

17 answers to this question

If you had to double wlk and your first walk ended in the engagement range of another model, then when you declared your attempt to walk the second time the enemy would get a chance to hit you and prevent the second walk altogether.

If the first walk action you took was able to move into, and through an enemy's engagement range entirely then no, they would not get a disengaging strike..

Hmm this was confusing me and I have been playing it that you get a disengaging strike whenever leaving engagement range, so that also applies if you walk into range during your walk and then carry on out of range. Must have been playing it wrong then by the sounds of it

Each Walk action is completed separately. Some the first one taken (when not near an enemy) is unaffected. That Walk action ends and NOW you're engaged, so a test is needed for the second Walk action. Most people will simply say they're taking a double walk and move 2x the distance, and when not near an enemy model there isn't an issue with that. You have to be engaged before moving, or no disengaging strike can be taken.

I agree you don't, but it could with squinted eyes be read the other way... Are you making a Walk Action, yes.. are you leaving a enemy engagement range yes... Both these would be true even if your walk started outside the enemy engagement zone and walked through it... However being worded "if a model wishes to leave an enemy model's engagement range with a Walk Action" I think it probably does only come into effect if you started the Walk action in range.

If I compare it to real life, which is never good in miniature games, then if i was having a scrap and someone came within my melee range to walk past I would feel like I should be able to wack them on the way past. And not just remain frozen while they sauntered past. Just because they didn't start walking within my melee range shouldn't make a difference. I understand that rules are in place to solve these issues but also the activations are just a way of practically handling what is supposed to be a free flowing battle

If i compare it to real life, which is never good in miniature games, then if i was having a scrap and someone came within my melee range to walk past i would feel like i should be able to wake them on the way past. And not just remain frozen while they sauntered past. Just because they didn't start walking within my melee range shouldn't make a difference. I understand that rules are in place to solve these issues but also the activations are just a way of practically handling what is supposed to be agree flowing battle

Rather than being alluring and active entities, in real life Dead Hookers just smell up the trunk of your car.

Comparing Malifaux to real life doesn't work. But I see what you are saying.

• Like 1

Rather than being alluring and active entities, in real life Dead Hookers just smell up the trunk of your car.

Comparing Malifaux to real life doesn't work. But I see what you are saying.

LOL point taken. *Slips away to remove those dead hookers hung up in the basement...*

Only taking a Walk action to move out of a melee range you're already in will cause disengaging strikes. Disengaging strikes stop Walk actions from occurring, not suddenly ending ones that are in progress.

Except with special rules like Taelor.