Pigapult! What to do?

E.T.A. Hoffman

Hey yall,

So I played against the pigg tosser for the first time.
Turn 1: Dead Rogue Necromancy

Turn 2: Dead Rogue Necromancy

Turn 3: Dead Mortimer

Turn 4: Dead Tara

(Ok, Tara died from a RJ attack :D)

Anywho, I'm miffed at the power of this thing. Sometimes... just sometimes... I feel like, "where was the beta test" for some of the Gremlin stuff!

Oh well, I'm not here to attack the Gremlins, I need many more games before I really start freaking out. :D

My post is about combating this Beast!

What suggestions do you all have for defending and fighting against Gremlin pigapult? Go ahead and be master or model specific as you like.

It seems to be devastating and demoralizing during the first encounter but actually the Pult got a big cuddle at the end of Wave2. The Stuffed Piglet's Stuffed With Explosives ability seriously hamper the effectiveness of high range bombing.

Few things that work against the Pigapult

- High Df (remember, it will be only an Sh5 Attack for the Pult)

- Any ability that gives [-] on Attacks in general (Zoraida) or Sh (Bette Noire's Aura) or have a fantastic save against Sh Attacks (Tara)

- Crews with a high headcount (the Pult's biggest threat is eliminating a strong model during a single activation)

- Armor

- Engage it (with high speed model(s) or ones that can be placed anywhere on the board (Malifaux Raptor))

- Rushing tactic (if your crew is built for fast melee contact, the Pult can't do that much)

- Attacking the Stuffed Piglets (that will deny the ammo from the Pigapult)

Btw with Tara usually you can quite safely bury/unbury and unleash an RN on the Pigapult in turn 1. 

And remember, this is an 8 SS model that eats a 2 SS model per turn. So it is not that horribly bad if it could do something useful before you can silence it.

Hope that helped a bit.

It's on Sh5 when firing stuffed pigs due to their Stuffed With Explosives trait and also can't cheat damage so 3x shots at Sh5, min dmg 3 or 3x shhots at Sh6, min dmg 2.

It's also 8SS + the cost of it's ammo so that means even less gremlins between you and it.

Tbh, it sounds like it got lucky (unless he was using Merris or the Loveley Assistant?), 1st 2 turns, passed 2 terror tests and hit for a total of 20+ damage against impossible to wound.

Advice for the future, (other than don't displease the fate decks anymore!) Night Terrors could engage it pretty quick and have incorporeal and H2K to protect them, I've also had McMourning turn my 'pult to kindling in turn 2 before

On the Stuffed Piglet card...Stuffed With Explosives: When this model is killed or sacrificed, all models within 3" gain the following Condition until the end of the Turn: "Concussion: This model suffers -1 Sh and may not cheat damage flips caused by its Sh Actions."

and the 'pult has to sacrifice a piglet within 3" if it wants to fire Bacon Barrage

On the Stuffed Piglet card...Stuffed With Explosives: When this model is killed or sacrificed, all models within 3" gain the following Condition until the end of the Turn: "Concussion: This model suffers -1 Sh and may not cheat damage flips caused by its Sh Actions."

and the 'pult has to sacrifice a piglet within 3" if it wants to fire Bacon Barrage

This.

The Pult, due to the Concussion condition, essentially has 3 potential damage profiles (all ignore LoS and cover) depending on the ammo it uses:

- Rocks: Sh 4, Rg 12, 2/3/5

- Piglet: Sh 6, Rg 24, 2/4/6

- Stuffed Piglet: Sh 5, Rg 24, 3/5B/7B

Given the 8ss initial investment, general immobility to accomplish anything except shoot, and the cost of sac'd ammo it's not too bad.  I feel like to accomplish what you state either there was some EXTREME luck involved or something was misplayed.

My play group was demoralized because they didn't want to build a crew around taking it down.

I'm happy to share my thoughts on it at last:

Anti Pigapult is Kirai.

Anything takes damage she drops a card and Ikiryo is in the pult's face.

Zoraida with From the Shadows on Bad Juju means a turn one immortal monster who shuts down the pult

Anything with from the shadows or can bypass armor is great

I have yet to play against the Pult, or any gremlins for that matter. However, I generally take at least one or two Necropunks with my Leveticus crew and my plan, should I face a gremlins player, is to include Killjoy or Bette in my crew as well. A single Necropunk can leap, walk twice, Burnout, leap, and walk twice. That will place a Necropunk up to 34" from the edge of your deployment zone turn 1. Your next task is to kill said Necropunk any way possible, releasing Killjoy or Bette right in the Pult's face.

This is just a plan though and I'm sure all the gremlins players out there are chuckling right now for some reason I haven't foreseen.

Well I can see a way around Kirai , not using the 'pult to do the damage. The necropunk (or any fast Killjoy delivery method) I suppose I'd either try and tie up, kill in a position more favourable to me or wait 'til Killjoy is released and push him back towards the enemy's lines.

That said, as has been mentioned, the 'pult and all the support pieces don't come cheap, they SHOULD be good for what you pay

In support of what others have said, the best bet against the Pigapult is models with From the Shadows deployment that can start pressuring it first activation. The best methods of pressuring it is to either remove the source of Fuel (especially Lenny if he has his upgrade) or engage it in melee (where it can't perform SH actions). Limiting it to just the rocks reduces it's effectiveness and keeping it from firing at all is an even better option (though you will have to worry about its entourage clearing the jam for it).

Other things like high defense can play a role but there are easy ways around it for the gremlins. Using regular Piglets for ammo (higher accuracy) and Som'er backing it up with Encouragement and a shaped control hand can make it very easy to get around high defense. Zoraida can do something similar via Papa Loco. Both of these make it much easier to produce cheatable damage flips. Armor is a good defense however needs to be backed up with high wounds also.

Hope that helps a bit.

They were worried about giving the Pigapult "the Glow" because of the potential for abuse like these;

http://www.youtube.com/embed/65f2sO6WmdQ

and

http://www.youtube.com/embed/PWVhiIisH30

As you can see once the Pigapult got "the Glow" there would be absolutely no stopping the Gremlin's from clearing all the upstart humans out of Malifaux. Hell we might not even stop at the Breach. So be glad that your little Armor, Hard to Kill and Incorporeal are still obstacles in our eventual conquest.