When will this game be available to non-kickstarters

Dreamchipper

Break neck speed?

It's been in production for over 15 months, plus however many months of work were put into it before they even launched the campaign.

It's a sizable project, of course, but it's not the moon landing.

That said, the failing isn't innately with the Kickstarter system.  Personally, I think a big part of it is creators (not just Wyrd, it's a common issue) being far, far too optimistic about their delivery target.  Doubling or tripling the time necessary isn't uncommon.  If we'd been told that the project would take a full year, they might not have gotten quite as many backers, but they'd also have more room to maneuver their scheduling, and we'd only be a few months past that, rather than pushing month 7 overdue.  The lower funding/backer could would have also kept the stretch goals lower, and much as I appreciate the extra work that was added to the project, it is precisely that; extra work, so perhaps with a 1 year target and 10 or 20% less tossed on due to lower backerage numbers, perhaps things wouldn't have gotten nearly this far out.

Or maybe it'd be just as bad.  Or worse, due to not having extra funding cushions to throw at a few problems.  It's hard to tell and I respect that hindsight is 20/20, but I really think the crowdfunding community needs to take creators to task.  If they say "oh, it's set as an 8 month project but we expect to deliver in 7", red flags should be going off everywhere.  Everyone claims that they'll communicate with backers regularly and keep them apprised of the development, but few actually do, so it really needs to be viewed as the non-statement platitude that it is.

I'm disappointed we even have to be talking about this.  Wyrd talked a good game during the campaign, they were super optimistic and enthusiastic and oh wow so much excitement!... so to have 'it's not on our timetable' be the response to a request for info as we enter month 7 past the schedule is not exactly heartening.  I get that 'shooting from the hip, taking no guff' is 'a thing' around these parts, but surely I'm not the only one that sees getting blown off for asking a question (or answers in a very abrupt manner) might not engender patience and empathy.

And if we're going to be really blunt, this is the second Wyrd Kickstarter that has proven to be very late.  I didn't get in on it, but believe me, that little Caeser plushie that held up most of EBO garnered plenty of frustration with my friends that did.

Maybe they should stop using Kickstarter if they can't set/meet realistic deadlines.

But I'm sure the models being produce for Fall Schematic won't hold things up.  >.>

Okay, people are expressing a range of opinions on here, from 'it'll show up when it shows up' (roughly where I am), to 'the delays have been lengthy and communication poor'.

I'm ok with both opinions - I may not understand people's annoyance with the delay as I don't feel it so much myself (though I'd love a paper copy for the thing I'm trying to plan right now...), but they have a total right to feel it and to say it.

Everyone has a right to express their opinion. Preferably calmly and reasonably, and without insulting others. Don't say things like 'stop crying and wailing', or use hyperbole (I'll admit, I did that recently on the TtB forum, and you know what it did? Made the thing I was trying to say sound immensely dickish instead). That kind of behaviour just means the thread gets progressively more and more toxic, gets locked, and the people involved get warned.

The PDFs are out to backers, Hannah has been kicking about since last GenCon, there was a tweet not long after involving a pile of voodoo dolls, the books and other things are in transit by all accounts. How long they take to get from boat to Wyrd is a mystery to everyone (except possibly a couple of customs agents in a port somewhere). The books are slated for public release in summer though, so logically the backers will get them before that (as was specified in the KS) and then the retail release will be July/August perhaps (speculation on my part, but I vaguely agree with Forar that a GenCon retail release would possibly be the target at this point).

To be specific, "Summer" ends on September 23rd, according to a quick glance at Google.

And you bring up an excellent point; Hannah has been kicking around since Gencon.  How the hell have we not had an update showing her off?

Considering the complete black hole that Gencon has been for Wyrd over the last 2 years that I've been watching (as in, people start leveling the "Gencon is coming!" excuse in July), I sincerely hope they don't cut it even vaguely close.  125 days to go.

And seriously... even breaking out of April would be pretty sad.  Doubly so without some kind of update.

5 weeks since the last update, 4 weeks since we were told it was 'on someone else's schedule'.

I think, at this point, you can complain about it and make everyone miserable, or you can let it go until we hear something new. It's not like complaining about it is going to make things happen any faster.

In the meantime, if you are not satisfied with the kickstarter, you have a few options. First, you could contact the people involved directly, and ask for your money back. The people at wyrd are pretty cool. If they can, they would probably give it to you. Second, you could not put money in any kickstarters they do in the future, and chalk it up to lost money. Complaining about it here is probably the least useful or productive thing you could do.

Personally, I'd like a bit of clarification on just what, exactly, I can do with the Pdfs. Can I print them? Can I post them to dropbox for use in Online tabletop/PPB games? I could be playing it, but I don't have a good handle on where Wyrd feels comfortable with it. And personally, the last thing I want to do is make them less comfortable with the concept of digital media, as I still very much would like them to produce a crewpicker/game manager app. I'd contribute to a kickstarter for that faster than a gremlin can steal your whiskey. But that's just me.

People have been asking for their money back and were refused.

And I will most certainly not back any future kickstarters they might start, nor am I likely to buy any of Wyrd's products in the future, because I find the way they are handling the situation and the way they are treating me as a customer/investor upsetting.

Just imagine what would have happened if they had raised the money for this project in a more traditional way. Taking twice as long to pay back your investors back as initially proposed without keeping them informed would have been a great way to get sued or to get your kneecaps broken, depending on your money lender of choice. But we are (or at least used to be) mere fans and are supposed to simply take it. I find that unacceptable.

• Like 1

And I will most certainly not back any future kickstarters they might start, nor am I likely to buy any of Wyrd's products in the future, because I find the way they are handling the situation and the way they are treating me as a customer/investor upsetting.

Just imagine what would have happened if they had raised the money for this project in a more traditional way. Taking twice as long to pay back your investors back as initially proposed without keeping them informed would have been a great way to get sued or to get your kneecaps broken, depending on your money lender of choice. But we are (or at least used to be) mere fans and are supposed to simply take it. I find that unacceptable.

Part of that is the risk you take with a kickstarter.

You are not an investor. You backed it with kickstarter. They are under obligation to give you what they promised you, and nothing more. You are not a money lender. you will not be getting any interest, regardless of what happened. If this state of affairs is not acceptable to you, then perhaps you should look into other options than kickstarter. You can say it was a poorly run kickstarter campaign, complain to kickstarter, and talk to the people running this campaign, but aside from that your rights and abilities really come down to not backing them in the future.

I understand frustration. I do. I understand anger even. But it is not doing anyone any good. it won't change anything. Assuming for the Moment that the generally honest people at Wyrd are telling the truth, something went Kaka in shipping. Not much Wyrd can do, and I bet they are just as frustrated by it as you. Having the game take longer than expected probably should have been expected, because it is A) a kickstarter game, many of which take half again or twice as long as expected(republique just came out for Ipad, and is still not out for the other promised platforms) and B) it was being done to work with, by the same people, and at the same time as the Beta for Malifaux Second edition, which, being the primary fiduciary earner for Wyrd, Obviously got front seat in design time. You could complain that this was not in any way made clear at the time of the Kickstarter Campaign, but once it was known, You probably should have mentally added at least 6 months.

Not to mention that this was the first time that this company has done an RPG, and so their estimates of when it would get done should have been looked at with skepticism anyway.

This.  Our only option was to come to these forums where the only person with any power had a chance to see our complaints, could view them.  No one checks in on the Kickstarter website, only Mack ever posted on the TTB forums (and he, admittedly, is only the designer and cannot give any more information).  

Look, you want to know what our biggest complaint is?  Lack of information about the product that we backed over a year ago.  Yes, we have the pdfs, but as many here have stated, they are not really great for reading unless you print them out.  And I hate reading copies that are loose or bound with a clip, so I have skimmed those pdfs and that's about it.  We are not unreasonable people, we know production and customs can take time.  We know that Caroland may actually not have any clue about when things will arrive, fine we get that.  But we don't even know what these products will look like, because we never got any type of "comprehensive" update showing us what we have backed and have enabled Wyrd to create.

We have seen Hannah, but only from non-official photos taken at two events.  Not one photo from Wyrd, the only thing we ever saw was the concept art at the beginning of the Kickstarter on the home page.  We have seen no concept art or photos of the Fatemaster's Screen or the TTB Fate Deck.  Unless these have no art on them, they can at least give us an update showing what our funds have been able to create.  We got a couple of concept art pieces for the multipose minis months ago, we would like to know what was finalized on those sprues, which can be written out and told to us if a photo isn't available.  All of this information Wyrd should have, and would have no reason not to release to backers in an update.  This would keep people interested for quite a while, because then we would feel that there was actual progress being made.  

Nope, exactly none of the blame here falls on me or any other backer. It is their fault they are late, not my fault that I did not expect them to be late.

Companies make predictions of when their products are going to be ready all the time. Competent companies will calculate some possible delays into their schedules. And if there are more delays than expected, they should be counted in weeks, not months.

Delays with shipping can happen, sure, and it wouldn't be a big deal if the project hadn't been half a year late already before it even came to shipping, which I can see no excuse for.

I understand frustration. I do. I understand anger even. But it is not doing anyone any good. it won't change anything. Assuming for the Moment that the generally honest people at Wyrd are telling the truth, something went Kaka in shipping. Not much Wyrd can do, and I bet they are just as frustrated by it as you. 

It's true; if there was a manufacturing or shipping snafu, there isn't much that Wyrd could do about that hiccup. However, its impact on backer perception is something that was, is, and will be at least in part controllable. That there is a delay, of any kind, no matter how justified, is going to piss some small group of people off. There's nothing you can do to change that, you can't have everyone be completely happy. Not every unhappy person is like that, though; some backers may just feel alienated. The easiest way to mitigate that frustration is to give your backers something, frequently, and to be honest and open with them. In a multi-part project such as this one, involving models, cardstock screens, custom character sheets, fate decks, and books, each step moves along at a different rate. Not everything is going to be at the same stage, which can slow some things down. It does, however, offer an increased opportunity for providing small updates about small steps forward. Things like "Hey, look at this! It's a finished panel for the FM screen!", "Hey, here's a prototype/fully assembled version of the KS-exclusive Hannah sculpt!", or "Hey, here's a short blurb about how we'll be designing the TtB Fate Deck!". Even, "We had a manufacturing snafu, here's what it is, here's what it means to production" would serve to show involvement. Little things like that help maintain interest in the game/product, show excitement about the progress on the company's part, and show measurable progress, all of which builds confidence in the product's success. This is doubly important for replicating updates that are leaked elsewhere (e.g. Hannah being in at least the assembled prototype stage), so that the project can be a central location for information on the project.

Having said all of this, from reading all three of Wyrd's Kickstarter projects, I can tell that they increasingly prefer to keep their manufacturing processes close to the chest, and it's their prerogative to do so. Still, maintaining regular updates and responding to comments on the KS page, progress or not, at least helps people not feel ignored, as they might in the face of silence. It's why Mack's occasional commenting on the TtB board has gone a long way toward assuaging this, even if he doesn't have all the information to offer. While the only official requirement of a Kickstarter project is "deliver the stuff you promised you'd deliver", there is a general expectation of involvement, input, and participation by backers in seeing a project through to its end (even if it's only watching the project to its end, without actually having a hand in it beyond monetary offering). It's the "perk" of backing, in much the same way interest and returns are on loans and investments.

I'm not concerned about my own particular investment in saying all of this. I know that my books and swag will come, when it is ready, and when it does I will enjoy it. I'm also not terribly concerned about the lateness of it; once M2E was announced, I knew things were going to end up being late (even though we now know that it wasn't slowed by that in particular, at least in writing, as Mack has stated he worked on M2E outside of his working days over on the TtB backers forum), and I had already assumed when I backed the project that I'd be waiting until December. I mean, sure, it's annoying, but not disruptive. I mostly just want to see Wyrd rejuvenate the connection with its backers that it built during the campaign proper, and to make that connection a priority in future endeavors, so that I can see them succeed even more than they already have.

• Like 3

Anaxiamander hit it perfectly.  Delivery delays happen, and are frustrating.  Silence is frustrating.  Both at the same time can be particularly obnoxious.

I've had campaigns that delayed by months, but they kept in touch and kept me informed, and it wasn't a big deal.  Shadowrun Returns around half a year or more late, but they sent out massive updates monthly (at least one, sometimes more), and when they got close to delivery they started dropping bombs left and right.  Didn't bat an eye.

I've had campaigns that were pretty uncommunicative, but they delivered in a timely fashion, and it wasn't a big deal.  Dwarven Forge also sent out roughly monthly updates, and while they were a little on the short'ish side, they'd include pictures of giant piles of tiles laying around, and delivered 2 weeks early (depending on ones perspective).  Not a problem.

Campaigns that are silent AND delayed, however, are where some serious frustration can build.

Nobody has asked that they give us a daily breakdown or anything extreme.  Most reasonable people (myself included) can recognize that there are sometimes issues beyond ones control on the manufacturing and delivery aspects.  But this much silence, supposedly this close to delivery?  Baffling.  This project surely has dozens of moving parts, surely some of them are done and ready to show off while waiting for others!?

The character pad!  FM's screen?  The minis may be "on a boat", but show off some of the test sprues they received or had pics sent of!  Hannah!  The Fate Decks!  Supposedly the wicked dolls are done and sitting around?  So start including a pic of a bunch of them sitting around in funny/creepy places in the office at the end of each update.  Begin teasing about the other works that are supposed to tie in, assuming Mack or somebody else is at least starting to glance at the half dozen or so expansion books they talked about during the campaign.

And as Anax mentioned, if there are delays and hold ups, those are chatter worthy too!  Plenty of campaigns have had updates that talked about being unhappy with a sprue or mold, and needing to retool, or that they're held up in customs.  Taking them at their word requires trust, and trust is in rather short supply at this point, but a little transparency goes a long way.

As for @Dracomax: What good does complaining do?  I think I've made a solid half dozen points as to things they could do to improve their communication.  In my frustration I'm still acting in a constructive and respectful manner.  If the topic is something you don't like talking about, why are you reading a thread about it?  Is someone forcing you to read through every topic?  Blink twice quickly if they're threatening to harm your family!

If not, I don't see why it's any concern of yours what I or others choose to express, within the guidelines of the forums.  If you're perfectly content with the status quo, that's great!  I'm happy for you!  Seriously!

But I'm not, and telling me to let go and accept the status quo isn't helpful or productive advice.

And if Wyrd wants me to shut my pie hole, they can ask me to stop directly, and/or ban me from the forums at their leisure.  It's not an outcome I want, but this is their house, and as far as I've seen from my lack of warnings or bannings, I'm playing within the rules.  Or walking on thin ice, that's entirely possible as well, but as a highly frustrated backer, I'm expressing myself clearly and in a place I know they look, since only Mack seems to read/participate in the TtB forums, and the KS comments get a Creator post maybe once every couple months, on average.

• Like 1

We could have hightailed this out to keep folks from frothing and going 'but I've been waiting'. You're right, you have been, but 'I' made the decision that I wanted to make certain the product got plenty of testing and that we could put as much extra into the books as possible. If you want to blame someone, you can blame me and stop sending hate e-mail at Mack and some of the other fellas.

I could have made it happen before the end of last year, if I wanted to put out a rushed product and not have it quite where we were happy with it. I tasked Mack and some others to ignore the hollering and the need to just 'get it done' and to instead get it done in a manner that they were both happy and proud to have their name on it. While we were at it, we stuffed the hell out of it with new artwork throughout the whole of the book and we didn't skimp there either - that also takes time. 

I could have the KS updated daily with a 'and we're looking forward to it', 'oh we're excited', 'any moment now ...' but lets be honest, that's a waste of your time and a bit condescending to have to keep saying 'its right around the corner'. I want to make certain I have something for you -when I have the physical product in hand, we'll photo it and shoot it out to you to see - of course it'll be shipping right about that time as well. Could we have been more communicative, yeah, most likely and it's something that I'm learning from myself.

Someone earlier was pointing out the time it took to get in some of the M2E books .. yup, I could have some of them in hand pretty damn quick - it's called air shipping them, which is a damn expensive process and usually something we do only when we have to, otherwise it is gets sea shipped. Also depends on the time of the year when we do our printing - sometimes we get straight to the front of the pack and we're scheduled within a couple of days to go to print. Other times there are other jobs, and companies, lined up and that two or three day wait can turn into a three to four week wait - assuming nothing goes wrong. Hell, don't even try to schedule anything if you can help it with the Chinese New Year as that affects everything from production to shipping on everything out of Asia, China or otherwise. 

So for those folks that are disgruntled with the time that it has taken, I can only give a sincere apology for the additional time that it has taken. That having been said, I'm not upset for taking it as I think it will make for a much better product that you'll be happy with once you have it in hand. And for you folks that are getting the voodoo doll that our friend Nox has put together, I honestly think y'all will be just excited to see that fella as well as the books (seriously, they are neat). 

So, once again - hate mail - you know where to send it. Mack, much as he has pushed and pointed and cajoled, has no control over the speed it gets to you (and believe me, he bends my ear). That said, we are working on getting everything in as quickly as possible, and more to the point, I think you'll be pleased with it once it is in hand.

• Like 8

And if Wyrd wants me to shut my pie hole, they can ask me to stop directly, and/or ban me from the forums at their leisure.  It's not an outcome I want, but this is their house, and as far as I've seen from my lack of warnings or bannings, I'm playing within the rules.  Or walking on thin ice, that's entirely possible as well, but as a highly frustrated backer, I'm expressing myself clearly and in a place I know they look, since only Mack seems to read/participate in the TtB forums, and the KS comments get a Creator post maybe once every couple months, on average.

Why would we ban or kick you from speaking your mind? We don't mind folks having a go at us, we don't even mind the criticism if it is done in a respectful manner vs. frothing and screaming expletives. Do we always nail it on the head, absolutely not. Wish we could, certainly trying our best, but it's not always going to happen.

You have a right to speak your mind and hope to be heard as you backed the project (and for that I'm thankful). In the mean time, we'll keep plugging along and hope that you and others are happy with the project once it is in hand.

• Like 2

To be clear, while I'm freely expressing my discontent in a variety of places, sending Mack hate mail is reprehensible.  He's been one of the few regular contacts the community has had, and apparently put in incredibly long days to work on both M2E and TtB at times.  Despite knowing little (if anything) in regards to some of the complaints leveled at the project, he still took the time to check in with the backers.  That was appreciated.  That was classy.  Sending him "hate mail" is deplorable, and whomever has done so should be ashamed of themselves.

That said, I specifically noted that nobody sensible wanted daily updates, or fluffy non-updates, but are you really telling us that out of a dozen+ different cogs, there's *nothing* to be said about any of them over the past 5 weeks?  Not "X is on the boat!" or "Here's a pic of the Hannah prototype, sorry it took 8 months to send out!" or "Here's a glimpse at the GM screen/Character pad/fated deck"?  That in 5 weeks there's been nothing to say, or that your comment of 'they're on the boat, not on our timeline' hasn't changed in a month?  I find it surprising that for a project of this size and scope, supposedly so close to being done, so little is happening over a fairly long timeline.

And before someone points out that a month isn't that long, it's 1/8th of the projects original time frame.  Are we going to get up to 1/4 without news?  1/2?

• Like 3

You have a right to speak your mind and hope to be heard as you backed the project (and for that I'm thankful). In the mean time, we'll keep plugging along and hope that you and others are happy with the project once it is in hand.

Didn't actually expect a ban (though I'll bet *someone* was tempted...), more pointing out that you guys have been receptive to reasonable critique in the past, and that's what I strive to provide.

Well, until someone gets me kicked out of the beta with an ill timed rant.  ;-)

Nathan, first of all, thank you for responding. I appreciate the input, and much of what you've said is to be lauded. I am glad that you allowed the book to be delayed and improved, rather than push it out the door for the sake of fulfilling the project. That the books have taken additional time bothers me only in the most insignificant of ways. Furthermore, thank you for apologizing for the delay, and for your continued confidence in your product.

Also, that there were people sending hate mail at you, Mack, etc. over this is frustrating and disappointing. Most (nearly all? All?) of the delays which happened were for the good of the product, and while frustrating, should be respected as such.

Finally, with regards to communication, I am glad to see your being open to improvement in that area. I hope to see improvements there, in remainder of this project but particularly in any future Kickstarters Wyrd is involved in, Malifaux or no (I do know that the project you're partnering with Drawn by Clouds on, Fall Schematic, has some model-related questions that they haven't fielded; it may be helpful to get in contact with them to address those; that said, it is their project, not yours, so not entirely relevant here, don't know how much of it is your call beyond manufacturing). I would like to emphasize though that a final, physical product isn't always necessary to show something off. You've had a copy of Hannah in-company for half a year, and while it's true that backers have likely seen it by now through leaks, it should definitely have been shared through an update; it's an exciting milestone! Final digital images of things are also perfectly acceptable things to show off; a glimpse at the anatomy of a card in the TtB Fate Deck, for example, would both explain the value of an item they are receiving while also providing content to explore. Also, for frustrations that might come from backers not understanding certain aspects of the manufacturing industry (like the air vs ocean shipping issue you mentioned, or the time-of-year manufacturing issues), an update is an ideal way to educate those backers, turning frustration into understanding (at least for some; again, won't ever make everybody happy). I think that, with your learning from this aspect of the project and applying it, you'll find a lot more receptivity from backers. Many frustrations and rants that come out of Kickstarter come out of either misunderstanding, lack of knowledge/awareness, or missing information, and the easiest way to circumvent all of those is to simply provide sufficient education to stop them before they start.

I am confident that, once I have it in hand, I'll be pleased with the produced results of the project. Heck, I'm pleased with it already, with only the pdf to speak of. I am looking forward to seeing Wyrd improving their communication with backers and fans as a result of learning from this project, though, as it is really the only element I can think of that has been less than exemplary. Thanks again for responding, Nathan, and I look forward to seeing the product (and, hopefully, a few updates to the Kickstarter project before then, aggressive commenters or no).

• Like 6

We could have hightailed this out to keep folks from frothing and going 'but I've been waiting'. You're right, you have been, but 'I' made the decision that I wanted to make certain the product got plenty of testing and that we could put as much extra into the books as possible. If you want to blame someone, you can blame me and stop sending hate e-mail at Mack and some of the other fellas.

I could have made it happen before the end of last year, if I wanted to put out a rushed product and not have it quite where we were happy with it. I tasked Mack and some others to ignore the hollering and the need to just 'get it done' and to instead get it done in a manner that they were both happy and proud to have their name on it. While we were at it, we stuffed the hell out of it with new artwork throughout the whole of the book and we didn't skimp there either - that also takes time. 

And that these things take time somehow was not clear when you set your initial goal of getting the books finished in eight months? You know, your proposal on which I based my decision to give you my money?

Just to harp on it a little more, since you brought up taking extra time to get it right, I picked another random page from the Fatemasters_Almanac_High.pdf. I grabbed page 108 this time!

Col 1, Para 1, Line 18: "though" should be "through"

Col 2, Para 2, Line 8: "quite" should be "quiet"

Line 21: "the point" should be "to the point that" or similar.

Outside of the obvious errors above, some of the sentences on this page are super awkward and the sheer randomness which seems to fuel the comma usage in these books continues full tilt. :P

Just to harp on it a little more, since you brought up taking extra time to get it right, I picked another random page from the Fatemasters_Almanac_High.pdf. I grabbed page 108 this time!

Col 1, Para 1, Line 18: "though" should be "through"

Col 2, Para 2, Line 8: "quite" should be "quiet"

Line 21: "the point" should be "to the point that" or similar.

Outside of the obvious errors above, some of the sentences on this page are super awkward and the sheer randomness which seems to fuel the comma usage in these books continues full tilt. :P

I just hope that the "The Fated Alamanac" didn't get printed on the physical book cover.