Uk gt 2013

Clousseau

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Probably looking at a 10:00 or 10:30 start, could even be a little later, as there are quite a lot of people travelling. Personally I'll be down on the Friday to set up.

Yep, sounds like it will be a Friday night flight for us too. I will try and get the last flight back on the Sunday too so we dont have to bow out of the last round early.

Suddenly I feel very sympathetic for the people living in The South that found it difficult to get to the previous years' GT venue, and very spoiled for living only a couple of hours away.

I don't think I can justify the significant expense that this will need for me to get down to Essex for the weekend, so will have to bow out this year.

Its almost worth calling it an EU GT rather than UK GT, Tabletop nation looks like a great venue, but for "UK" people its in the worst place, whereas for people in Europe its actually not bad to get to.

Ideally a uk GT should be around Birmingham to Manchester area, but given the lack of decent sized venues i can see why TN was chosen.

Suddenly I feel very sympathetic for the people living in The South that found it difficult to get to the previous years' GT venue, and very spoiled for living only a couple of hours away.

I don't think I can justify the significant expense that this will need for me to get down to Essex for the weekend, so will have to bow out this year.

+1

Totaly agree with everthing said.

Ideally a uk GT should be around Birmingham to Manchester area, but given the lack of decent sized venues i can see why TN was chosen.

I large amount of discussions happened around the venue and, given all of the variables, TTN did come out on top for this year. Most people in the UK should be able to get a cheap train to London or I think we'll be getting a hire car and splitting the cost between us which may work out cheaper.

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

Will there be a fancy dress contest? I've got a fantastic idea for a costume ;)

Emphasis has been put on the actual tournament arrangements so far, shenanigans haven't really been discussed yet. I'd be happy to arrange this if the other organisers are in agreement (I want an excuse to rock a showgirl dress!).

Its almost worth calling it an EU GT rather than UK GT, Tabletop nation looks like a great venue, but for "UK" people its in the worst place, whereas for people in Europe its actually not bad to get to.

There is some UK below the watford gap you know! :Paralyzed_Puppet:

I could argue that travel times to the London area are more consistant that to Birmingham or manchester. I'm happy to see it move about, but its nice that I only have to make a 90 minute journey this time rather than the 5 hours that Manchester would (Glasgow is less than 7).

There is some UK below the watford gap you know! :Paralyzed_Puppet:

It's weird, but my knowledge/awareness of UK geography south of... Birmingham is shockingly poor. I couldn't reliably point to most southern towns on a map.

Most people in the UK should be able to get a cheap train to London or I think we'll be getting a hire car and splitting the cost between us which may work out cheaper.

It's not just transport - hotel costs in the area are a fair bit higher than the north. Total expense for getting to GT2013 would be around double that of last year for me, which just isn't economical. Shame because I had a killer fancy dress outfit planned too! *candy*

How's this for a suggestion in the future:

Run three separate GTs (like GW's Throne of Skulls events) but have one at each of the main venues: NWGC, TTN and Firestorm Games.

Worth a thought?

yes this would probably be my suggestion, with the top x qualifying for a masters which could be held at a venue which is rotated each year

in the future it is easier to plan if you know where it is happening, I expect the fact that it has moved south has left an amount of northeres thinking they cant justify the cost this year, however if you know for next year then you can plan and save in advance if you want to go, just like the people in the south of the country have been having to do

I keep trying to find a financially viable way of getting down but with a quick look around train down is £111, a hotel for 3 nights about 4-5 miles away is £135 - £190 and that is without food drink and local travel. I now fully appreciate the cost and Hassal our southern friends have with getting up north. In context deliverance 3 cost me £50 train ticket and just over £70 for the hotel but different times of the year could be a lot more for August.

Edited by AdrianMills

since I could travel to/from Malestrom for the GT, living that close, then my expenses are certainly going to be much higher.

On the other hand - its the GT! If I have to miss out on some other hobby stuff here and there over the next few months then that's what I'll have to do. I don't want to miss it.

guess I'm giving up pizza for a couple of months. ;)

Yep, sounds like it will be a Friday night flight for us too. I will try and get the last flight back on the Sunday too so we dont have to bow out of the last round early.

Just 2 games on Sunday so a 4pm finish is the aim.

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

Will there be a fancy dress contest? I've got a fantastic idea for a costume ;)

It's a GT tradition isn't it!

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

How's this for a suggestion in the future:

Run three separate GTs (like GW's Throne of Skulls events) but have one at each of the main venues: NWGC, TTN and Firestorm Games.

Worth a thought?

There can be only one GT a year - in my opinion. The effort alone, plus many people looking forward to a special annual event, would be my reasons.

Also, the rankings system leading to a Masters event (which is a different vibe from the GT) would cover attending separate events with a grand final - maybe.

No easy answer to any of this I'm afraid. This year's event needed a new stake in the ground, so lets see how it goes. Lots of new players south a of London to consider in addition to the traditional strongholds in the north midlands, yorkshire, lancs and Wales. Games Expo's central position in Birmingham offers a central location, but would clash with the Warmahordes national there.

---------- Post added 05-02-2013 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-01-2013 at 11:57 PM ----------

This link should give you 3 nights for the price of 2 at Holiday Inn - I'm staying at the one in Basildon if anyone needs a lift.

http://www.ihg.com/staffoffer241

---------- Post added at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

...and finally @ GuildMonkey - you are now the fancy dress competition organiser!

Thanks underdog.

In theory if we got York, Harrogate, and Leeds together anywhere between 8 and 16. I suspect we'd look to make one run each way, down on Fri or Sat and back up on Sunday.

I'll speak to my guys in Harrogate tonight and try to get a feel of our numbers / interest.

If anyone else is interested they can post here or PM.