Rafkins Last Breath

Tyrion1337

Hey all, 

I tried a Nicodem poison list yesterday with Shadow Embrace and Their Last Breath. 

Nicodem - 7SS

-Shadow Embrace, Their Last Breath, Love Thy Master

Sebastian

- MLH, Corpse Bloat

Rafkin

-MLH

Graveyard Spirit, Nurse, Canine Remains, Bone Pile, Dead Doxy

I wanted to share my experience on the new upgrade.

Went up against Guild McCabe. Basically I poisoned my own stuff with a Nurse to benefit from the small heal within Nico´s Aura. As Beatstick I took Rafkin due to all the poison the Crew can spread (Afterwards some Poison on range would have been really helpful..). Sebastian ripped Spleens like no tomorrow to fuel Nico with Corpses. 

My last Breath on Rafkin was bonkers. He took Dept-Francisco to the face despite MLH and turned  undead. Slaughtered Mounted Guard and Frank in return. Rafkins damage Output becomes enormous when you can benefit from all of Nico lovely buffs (:+fate and fast). MLH also lets you hit with his (O) twice. Coupled with Nicos healing and the small poison healing from Shadow Embrace it was easy to Keep him around for the rest of the game despite the growing damage from Their Last Breath.

While I also tried the Circling Buzzards Upgrade a few days ago I am way more excited by TLB. It opens up some nice new Options. Getting a second life and the possibility to benefit from undead buffs is just great.

My poison Crew wasn´t as effective as I thought (Rafkins basically poisoned everything himself. I should try Autopsies or Little Gassers next time) but the main thing I wanted to try (Undaed Rafkin) was stellar.

Has anyone tried something similar, maybe with another TLB model (Asura, Anna, Sebastian)?

• Like 3

I havent gotten to try out TLB yet but your post gets me excited to get it on the table. Thanks for the write up. I want to try and take an all living crew to take the most advantage of it and give it a shot. It seems like a lot of fun. I will keep rafkin in mind. Now the question is how will TLB interact with the shield bearers? Since they "die" as a living unit but then come back as spirits. This seems confusing.

Little Gassers are what you are looking for. They can just walk up and give poison to enemy models so that Rafkin (or shikome, canines) can charge for 1AP and do their thing. Their Last Breath is a great little upgrade. Not a ton of living models we can use it with, but Rafkin is one of the best I believe. I could maybe see Hayreddin being more useful as you can keep him alive longer, but of course he wouldn't benefit from Nicodem's buffs as you don't want him that close. AnnaLovelace might be a good option too, but I find she tends to be a shooter for me more than a melee beater. 

6 minutes ago, JisaacT said:

I havent gotten to try out TLB yet but your post gets me excited to get it on the table. Thanks for the write up. I want to try and take an all living crew to take the most advantage of it and give it a shot. It seems like a lot of fun. I will keep rafkin in mind. Now the question is how will TLB interact with the shield bearers? Since they "die" as a living unit but then come back as spirits. This seems confusing.

I don't believe it works well with Shieldbearers. I think the sequence messes things up, that and their measly 4 wds. Nurses though.....

Very True. Not worth it to try and figure out on them with 4 wnds. I just didnt know if they could come back like 3 times. I dont have my cards in front of me to look up the exact wording of TLB though. As far as the Shield Bearer goes, as long as it doesnt have a soulbound upgrade, it will come back. It does not say anything about removing conditions when it comes back though so it would still have the damage decay thing per turn from TLB.

2 hours ago, JisaacT said:

Unfortunately I don´t think that TLB will work more than once. If a living model dies you have to attach the upgrade to it. So Nico does not have it anymore. That´s why you should keep your Nurse from dying first :D

11 minutes ago, mojopin said:

Well, maybe not a lot of living resser models but think about all those mercenaries, yummie! 

Aaand sorry to stop you, too.. TLB only goes to friendly living Resser models. Have just read the Card again.

Seems Rafkin stays as one of the best Choices. Still want to try Sebastian, loaded with Poison and going to harvest everyone. At least TLB does not remove conditions.

Edit: Don´t have the Hayreddin Card but he always interested me. I guess he will make it into the next Shopping cart

Just now, Tyrion1337 said:

Unfortunately I don´t think that TLB will work more than once. If a living model dies you have to attach the upgrade to it. So Nico does not have it anymore. That´s why you should keep your Nurse from dying first :D

Aaand sorry to stop you, too.. TLB only goes to friendly living Resser models. Have just read the Card again.

Seems Rafkin stays as one of the best Choices. Still want to try Sebastian, loaded with Poison and going to harvest everyone. At least TLB does not remove conditions.

Xd thanks ;)

I did a Poison Nico list recently.

Nico 
  + Undertaker, TLB, Shadow Embrace
Vulture
Rafkin
Shikome
Kentauroi
2x Canine Remains
2x Guild Autopsies

Kentauroi was essential for setting up. On Turn 1 he carries Nico twice with 2 walks, who, lacking Corpses on Turn 1, will end up casting Rigor Mortis on Kentauroi and whatever else happens to be close. Rafkin moves up to the Kentauroi's position. 

On turn 2, the Fast Kentauroi Walks once, putting Rafkin into a favorable position, then charges. Gives Poison for the second attack's damage bump, and drops a Corpse for Nico. Guild Autopsies choose their target for poison, something big, then canine remains soften it up (in my game one even dropped a scheme before charging). Then Shikome comes from the back field and levels it. If the big thing's already activated, then it is likely the canines are putting it at -2 Df. Shikome, if the poisoned target is an Adversary and within 6" of Rafkin (that's the goal, yo), is doing a minimum of 4 with a baked-in trigger to ignore armor, striking from up to 14" away, and doing it all on :+fate:+fate while the target's at -2 Df. Ouch. 

You should be spending Nico's summons on Shikome or  Kentauroi. If you can get your Decay off it's dealing an extra damage and thus killing things for the trigger to summon more easily. The more Kentauroi you summon, the more corpses you have, the more chances you have for healing your busted models, and the more damage you can do with Decay. The key to this list is being flexible with Nico and remembering he can do more than summon things. 

In the future (I don't proxy), I'm going to replace Shadow Embrace + Vulture with a Little Gasser, and tossing the Guild Autopsies for the gassers, too. 

• 3 weeks later...