Future of Pigapult

daniello_s

So, with Stuffed Piglet cost raise and new GG18 heading our way what do you think about future of Pigapult?

On the one hand shooting Pigapult will be viable with Ulix/Lenny and maybe with Somer where she can still fling summoned models to score schemes but on the other hand it looks like spending 8SS on this model looks like huge investment where payoff might be challenging. 

What do you think?

I'm gonna say it depends on what the new schemes are. If something like smuggle makes it in then totally the pigapult has game. I think the pigapult for it to be worth it needs to be a mobility piece with it's gun being an optional secondary role. So I think it is quite possible it'll have a niche.

Also the iron Skeeter isn't nearly as useful for certain schemes. The pigapult moves 3 models a total of 72iches a turn that's a ton of movement.

I would disagree LameO.

The Faction as a whole doesn't struggle for mobility aids, as you mentioned Iron Skeeters can perform that function as can the Piglets. Where we do suffer is in accurate long range shooting. This is where the Pigapult can and does fill a gap in the faction (yes, yes some of the LaCroix's could be considered to also do this but none are as capable as a Pigpult controlled by Som'er). Currently however its cost is prohibitive when employed in this role, so players are touting its Launch'n action as the superior benefit. I disagree as the downside is significant in comparison to the Iron Skeeters or Pig Ladders and Truffle Shuffle.

In regards to the original question, it really depends on the composition of the GG 2018 Strats and Schemes. If they are mobility heavily then it will have a place (though again I think the Iron Skeeters or Piglets are superior options in this regard). If they are killy" then it will have a place. If they are somewhere in between then it may not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Omenbringer said:

I would disagree LameO.

The Faction as a whole doesn't struggle for mobility aids, as you mentioned Iron Skeeters can perform that function as can the Piglets. Where we do suffer is in accurate long range shooting. This is where the Pigapult can and does fill a gap in the faction (yes, yes some of the LaCroix's could be considered to also do this but none are as capable as a Pigpult controlled by Som'er). Currently however its cost is prohibitive when employed in this role, so players are touting its Launch'n action as the superior benefit. I disagree as the downside is significant in comparison to the Iron Skeeters or Pig Ladders and Truffle Shuffle.

In regards to the original question, it really depends on the composition of the GG 2018 Strats and Schemes. If they are mobility heavily then it will have a place (though again I think the Iron Skeeters or Piglets are superior options in this regard). If they are killy" then it will have a place. If they are somewhere in between then it may not.

Well I mean mobility is one thing but literally scoring a scheme for getting stuff where it needs to be is another (smuggled across: Once per game, at the end of any Turn, this Crew may choose to score this Scheme to score a number of VP equal to the number of this Crew’s Minion models on the enemy half of the board which are not within 6” of the Center.) If smuggled across is in the pool then with a pigapult you score full points with no interaction so obviously things like this would make it much more playable regardless of whatever else it does. 

I also think that in terms of long range shooting we do have one of the better models who doesn't care about cover or shooting into engagements McTavish. Now I'm not saying hes range 24 but between his gator snack move push +  shooting he can shoot 17" away from where he started with 3 shots at sh 6 2/4/6 (3/5/7 if hes glowy). Thats not bad and works out to being quite effective shooting & has the added benefit of a pretty good rg 3" ml attack.  

On 28/08/2017 at 8:16 AM, Math Mathonwy said:

I very, very much doubt that Smuggled Across will be like it currently is once GG18 is ready. And even if it is, you hardly need the Pult to do the Scheme trivially.

I wanted to disagree with you (because, well pigapult is cool), but the more I think about it, the more I agree with you...

Pigapult + 3 bayou gremlins for placement = 17ss

6bayou gremlins = 18ss. 

Sure, it is easier to place them in weird places with pigapult, but the activation advantage+ AP advantage is way better.

Not to mention the pigapult has no ammo in this comparison

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cfrag said:

I wanted to disagree with you (because, well pigapult is cool), but the more I think about it, the more I agree with you...

Pigapult + 3 bayou gremlins for placement = 17ss

6bayou gremlins = 18ss. 

Sure, it is easier to place them in weird places with pigapult, but the activation advantage+ AP advantage is way better.

Not to mention the pigapult has no ammo in this comparison

Thats exactly what I mean though its on the fringes right now if it has the perfect situation. For me thats good at least there is something to think about. I said it earlier the pigapult has a small niche. The other thing is that Somer could summon three bayous to throw so that cost doesn't exactly translate and turn one you wouldn't be able to score with the summoned models if it wasn't for the pigapult. So you are trading the summoned models weakest turn for 3vp. Hence this is more or less one of the few times I could have seen the pigapult on the table. 

Also in terms of ammo nothing stops you from taking a taxidermist to get one. So summon off of two bayous and the third summon kills one of the summoned bayous you draw two cards and you make a stuffed piglet off of the corpse marker. With that you end up with the same number of extra models but you can still fire the pigapult once when you need it. 

With ulix I don't think there is a difference and the pigapullt is just about as useful as before. I think what weakened it for him was the fact that pigs don't come in slow near him anymore so the movement advantage it provided is a little less significant (though a 24 inch placement on wk 4 models is nice.)

Don't get me wrong the pigapult is a pretty weak model now but I think due to launchin' it could still rarely see play. ( At least to me it seems that even before the stuffed Cuddle it felt like the reason to take the pigapult was to use launchin' to the best of the models ability with some shots later on.)