Collection Advice

H4ml3t

As the Henchman for my local meta new players like to ask me for start up advice.

I have a guy definitely getting the Misaki and Lynch crew boxes. He looking for recommendations on another $20-$30 worth of purchases to get started. Any recommendations are much appreciated.

• Like 1

I wouldn't get Ten Thunder archers.  Not for a new player at least.  I would recommend Ten Thunders Brothers and Samurai.  Mr. Graves is another good choice.  I also wouldn't recommend Beckoners.  Mostly because they can only be used by Lynch and they're not that great.

Don't get the Beckoners, Tannen or the Archers. At least to start with. Generally speaking, Sensei Yu is absolutely amazing with both masters, but seeing as that'd require another box...

Misaki wants a crew that can help out itself, Lynch wants a few beaters (Ototo works quite well with him actually) and some mobility.

The TTB are of course great, Yin is also an amazing fit that beefs up both crews a bit, a Low River Monk with their upgrade goes well in any list, the Shadow Effigy gives a sturdy and cheap activation and then get some Snipers to top it off with some range. 

• Like 1

Shadow Emissary is on the list but too pricey out of the gate.

I really want to like the Samurai but I'll defer to the wisdom of TT players. So maybe Graves/Snipers out of the gate.

I'm more involved in this decision process because it's for a guy in my church youth group and I'm look at paying for about 1/2 of everything to get him started. He's agreed to do yard work for me this summer to pay me back.

• Like 1

Samurai are worth it, especially with lynch. They output decent damage, survive with armour and dig for aces very well.

I'd say them vs snipers is more of a play style choice and both are viable. I'm not a big fan of sh5 on either of them though.

To the sniper's case the long range and from the shadows means you can get a shot or two starting turn one. 

• Like 1

I've gotten a lot of mileage out of Samurai with Misaki. They're supposed to be good with Lynch for reasons stated above. I mostly use one, but there are times I field two. If you can get one for cheap from Gazdooks or somewhere, feel free.

Granted in a small collection you might not want to splurge on both Samurai and Snipers, as both give you a shooter model. Very different shooter models, but 'pew pew' is what both of them do.

I would recommend getting one samurai from Gadzooks, if that's an option.  I will almost always take a Samurai with Lynch.  Very often with Shenlong (Samurai make good Misdirection targets).  I tend to not take Samurai against Ressers or Neverborn though because of having only 4 WP.  Other than that, I get a lot of mileage out of mine.