Relic Hammers

The Warlock

After re-reading Titania's story in ripples, I've quite a few questions regarding the relic hammers. Haven't read any 1e or 1.5e background so unsure if I've missed anything, but from what I've read:

• There's one for each Tyrant, 13 in all- and they sealed the Tyrants away in their respective prisons somehow
  • Taelor's Relic Hammer is the one that was used to imprison the Nameless

Which leads me to ask:

• Are there any more bearers of Hammers outside of The Captain, Taelor and Johan?
  • Were they used to kill, or just imprison the Tyrants? (Also begging the question of how Titania offed them all in the first place)
  • Is the technique in making Relic Hammers lost, or is there some kind of Relic Forge hidden somewhere in Malifaux?
  • Can another tool/weapon (say, a blade or a pistol) be given the same properties as a Relic Hammer?
  • Does the rules regarding constructs have to do with another Tyrant not previously mentioned? More recent fluff seems to imply that there is very much a construct-based Tyrant...
  • Does Ghal Maraz count as one? (joking on this one)

Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

On 11/26/2016 at 2:13 AM, The Warlock said:

(Also begging the question of how Titania offed them all in the first place)

The TTB book Under Quarantine goes into detail on Titania, the Grave Spirit, and the "death" of the Tyrants.

Titania's entry in Nythera also goes into brief detail about it.

It's also worth mentioning that Taelor is a somewhat unreliable narrator in that story, as the story implies. :P

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Mason said:

The TTB book Under Quarantine goes into detail on Titania, the Grave Spirit, and the "death" of the Tyrants.

Titania's entry in Nythera also goes into brief detail about it.

It's also worth mentioning that Taelor is a somewhat unreliable narrator in that story, as the story implies. :P

Yeah but I trust Karina.

Sounds like I need to get and read Under Quarantine now...

My personal theory is that Vik's masamune is a reforged relic hammer.  

Ok, will try and source the TTB books, thanks for that @Mason. I'd trust Taelor on that section of her story, the best fabrications have truth with fiction woven around them.

As for the Masamune, it appears that some aspect of the Tyrant Shezuul is bound or imprisoned within. Shenlong though in Ripples seems to be about to journey in search of the other part of the dragon.

• Like 1

On 06.12.2016. at 11:39 PM, MetaphoricDragn said:

except Shez'uul is a separately named Tyrant from the Dragon(s)

Yeah, I'm aware of Shez'uul and that it's a different tyrant, but dragons seemed like they'd fit the story thematically if they were hiding Earthside. Anyway, we don't know much about it yet and why would it be impossible for two different tyrants to be tied to one of the main characters? ^_^

Well another source of a little info is Into the Steam as they have an entry there.

"the head of each hammer is made from an alchemically created material that, when struck against a surface, attacks and weakens its molecular structure" it goes on to mention this is good for mining and very gory when used again organic

This is likely why it gets a double positive against constructs due to it breaking down surfaces when struck.  It might be that the surface needs to have a certain lack of give to make the effect happen, thus why it does not work normally against Undead or living.  It also says that the hammers thrum noticeably in their weild's hands when near a Tyrant.

• Like 4