Bought Wild Ones, now what?

Kirby

Hello!  I picked up the Wild Ones set and it is gorgeous.  I'm a bit lost as to where to go from here.  I'm also still torn on 10T vs Guild, but it seems he uses mostly the same things either way so maybe that's less of a big deal than I'm making it?

I know he likes his Hounds, and it seems that Executioners are an ideal piece for the Mounted Guard to drag along.  Austringers are always good, sure.  Queeg is cheaper than Sidir as far as a Promises battery, but does he do anything else?  Is Sidir good?  How does it all that fit into McCabe gameplay?  Are there any other models I should be looking out for?

• Like 1

I haven't tried it yet with McCabe ,  but a witchling thrall is a 9ss minion that you can reactivate.  It should be good ☺

I love master queeg,  but not for McCabe. 

Sidir is over costed ?

You can take promises on McCabe,  most polular set of upgrades are: promises,  glowing sabre and the badge of speed 

• Like 3

Sidir is situational, not strictly overcosted; it depends on your synergies and it depends on what you're facing, and how much mileage you're going to get out of By Your Side. Facing hordes/forced movement? Have a squishy you need to protect? Sidir is great. He also has especial synergy with Frank's El Mayor between By Your Side and Riposte, plus he self-heals, so if you don't have a medic in your crew, that's another plus. Otherwise take Queeg as your Promises bearer if it's not McCabe. I do think that if you take Sidir, you are basically obliged to take Hermano Frank to help him keep up and provide El Mayor synergy; they are a package deal.

Second Witchling Thrall for being one of the best McCabe reactivate targets going in Guild, if not the best (Austringers can be competitive; also Wardens because paralyze).

Disclaimer that I don't really play much McCabe, but 2x Austringers should be core, and I would personally take a beater like Numb to the World Pale Rider (give him the Glowing Sabre), Brutal Emissary (who gives you access to another upgrade you can toss around) and/or Numb Peacekeeper (give these babies Nimble and Regen and watch them bring the pain). I'm not sure as to whether McCabe should either go for max upgrades, or take on Promises. If you have a Promises bearer like Queeg, you can free McCabe up to do scheme running, and be relatively independent of your wrecking ball killteam.

Thinking something like this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16XUMyag4gRejtK2AlxGiIc1_XcNRYT9WDeYNI27jp34/edit#gid=451885380

I can vouch that Wardens work well for McCabe, I reach for them before Austringers with him.  With the saber and critical strike against a model that has already activated they are a 3/5/6 damage spread ignoring all that fun stuff.  Even if you just give them the Elixir or Armor they are not bad.  It is also a minion so can be reactivated and a moderate costed model.

For me I often start with McCabe w/the Saber, Elixir, and Badge, Luna, 2x Guild Hounds, a Warden, and 2ss for my pool then I go from there.  But one of the important things to keep in mind is McCabe is one of those masters that has a kind of loose play style.  He throws around upgrades as his big thing... but that leaves his crew and play style up to what you take with him.  You can take a more elite crew, you can take a swarm of cheaper models, you can take a gunline, you can take an aggressive assault list, and you can take a rounded bunch.  He really can be flexible to the Strat and schemes as long as you have the model choices as he can just help them get them done.

True, Wardens are basically custom made for McCabe and look amazing on paper. I do find Austringers to be more flexible and consistent though in practice (and I'd certainly recommend them more for a beginner), but I think that Wardens with Reactivate synergy can hedge them out. If you're running Pale Rider, you definitely want the Glowing Saber on him, otherwise they're a perfect target for it.

McCabe reactivating a performer has caused some fun in these interact-heavy Divergent Paths games. ^_^

Glad to hear that the wardens work out with the saber also. I've taken them with McCabe but in that game he was neutered until one of the wardens (earning the name PRick) paralyzed Trixiebelle, the source of McCabe's uselessness.

On 10/29/2016 at 2:23 PM, Surrealistik said:

As a 10T player looking to branch out into Guild, this caught my eye.  Are you counting the cost of the Elixer in the list, though?  Because as I understand it, you don't actually have to pay for the upgrade the Emissary gets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Valgaav said:

As a 10T player looking to branch out into Guild, this caught my eye.  Are you counting the cost of the Elixer in the list, though?  Because as I understand it, you don't actually have to pay for the upgrade the Emissary gets.

My bad, forgot to discount it to 0; the Elixir is indeed free so this list has a cache of 4 SS.

I also bought the nightmare edition and have been building several list and come up with this one.

Interference for example

Turn 1:

Activate hounds and so on for board control. McCabe gives Ama No Zako Badge of speed and hits the trigger, gives the Peacekeeper Elixir of life. He then drives 7” and charge something (scheme runners and so on) with his 9” and will have plus flip with Promises.

Ama No Zako activates and with her 0 action Promising Whisper makes the Peacekeeper move once more. Ama No Zako have a bonus 4” push from McCabe and can walk once more with Badge of speed. So she stand 4”+6” up the board now and have 2 ap, just make a 7” charge turn one or just walk 6”+6” for a total of 22” turn one.

And now the Peackeeper activates, a bonus 4” push from McCabe, a bonus walk from Ama No Zako 5”. The Peackeeper now stand 4”+5” up the board and have 2 ap left, what about a 6” charge?

Just tarpit the opponent with Ama No Zako and the Peacekeeper. The Peackeeper with armour +2 and Numb to the world will hang around for some time, also it heals up 2 wounds every round with Elixir of life. Use stones to protect Ama No Zako, with hard to wound and Terrifying (Living) 13 she will stay safe. Also, the Peacekeeper wants to stay within 6” from Ama No Zako so it can benefit from her 0 action Promising Whisper next turn aswell.   

I also would take a look on the Strongarm suit, Austringer and Freikorp Trapper for other kind of builds with Guild McCabe.  

mccabe.jpg

The warden with the glowing saber was as fun as promised. Flashheart (with cape) applied some long-overdue vengeance on Barbaros.

My new working theory is that the more stylish the model, the better the saber will work. Luna with saber, I haven't gotten the greatest performances. Brutal effigy with saber = Yoda in a hat = good. Warden with flash cape + saber = good.

• Like 1

I am glad you enjoyed the swashbuckling robot.  While I have two of the metal ones I find myself still eyeing the plastics if only for the chance to convert them as I enjoy Wardens with McCabe so much.  I was thinking of giving the normal one a monowheel and the cape one a saber if I ever got the box on the cheap.

I have had the saber do well on Luna but as I generally don't have Luna in the fight till my hounds have done their job she rarely gets the saber.  I could have given it to her during the kid extraction mission here for the final but I decided I did not want to spend the seven of tomes that was in my hand as I thought I might need it.  Had I done it though Luna would have killed Dashel possible in one turn.  She RJed him for damage and had reactivate.  In the end he survived the attacks barely at 1wd thanks to a SS.  Still likely the best damage she had done for a while *Normally she is known for her survivability in my group as she dodges a lot of attacks*.

• Like 1