Lady's Entombers - How to Play Lady Justice

Filox

Hi, I saw that a lot of people have problem with LJ and making on her good crew against other faction than Ressers. So let's start from my crew. 

Lady Justice 7 SS pool

-Vendetta 2 SS            

-Implacable  1SS  

Scales of Justice 3 SS  

Fransisco Ortega 8 SS                      .              

-Wade In 1 SS                                      

The Lone Marshal / Greed 8 SS        

Hunter 7 SS                                        

Hunter 7 SS                                          

Death Marshal 6 SS                              

Brutal Effigy 4SS

So there is my 50 SS Crew.

Tactics from the Malifofo.

- Fransisco give LJ "El Mayor". After it DM get Fransisco to the box and make LJ almost all the time Df 7, Wp 9 and 14 Wd. That make her the thouthest Lady in the Malifaux. Also her Df trigger Riposte (:ram:mask) very dangerous. Of course you still need :mask to trigger it but,  You can burn one of her SS to deal atleast  3 damage to enemy. This is realy easy and powerful. Noone can escape her engagament 'cause of her ability on Implacable. Enemies can still push out from her but not everyone have it. She don't have to be scared of some tough guys or Massive Firepower. Just make her  (0) :aura that give her soft cover from :ranged in 12". And even if the Enemy will have range and :+fate to attack she still have Df 7 and 14 Wd. Even if the enemy will hit her. He can heal up from Juggernaut 1/2/4, Greed (After spending a SS but you have 7 of them + little mine on Greed) 1/2/3 and 1 on every time she damage an Enemy with her Atrack Actions by the way She have Onslaugth on :mask. That give her another Attack which can heal her. Ok, we might have bad hand and maybe one or two 11's. Our Totem. Scales of Justice can give us up to 2 cards. And giving everyone in (6) :aura +1 Wp. He is not realy strong like Luna or Enslaved Nephilim but he give in theory 2 cards after our assault or defence. Fransisco have be a realy good savior. For example if our LJ could take a lot of damage and she need to run out. DM can release him catch up LJ and activate Fransisco with Companion. Then he do his (1) teleport which push out his allies. Pretty strong Defence Mechanic, isn't it? Hunter pull to your Crew potencial Enemies and They are pretty strong Mille Models which can be ever boostet by LJ with "Inspiring Swordplay" which give our Minions within' (8) :pulse :+fate to the Attack Flip. They are here to protect your 2 Scheme Runners and eliminate enemies. The Lone Marshal is here bcs he can make your targets softy. Greed don't do it as good as The Lone Marshal but she has Healing and and SS mine. Your choice on what you wanna play. Our Scheme Runners are Brutal Effigy, Death Marshal and Hunters (only if their job is done or not neccesarry to be done right now. So I think my job here is done. If something is not clear just write in comments I'll answear them as fast as I can. See ya soon.

• Like 1

Nice write up! I'd like to share my thoughts on Lady J

Although frank's El Mayor is powerful, having a 9ss model in a box not doing anything giving you one less activation is in my opinion not worth it. You are better of activating frank early turn 2 and late turn 3 giving Lady Justice her buff for essentially 2 turns (generally the most important 2 turns) and not worrying about burying him. The brutal effigies healing and Lady J's ability to essentially kill huge threats in an activation is generally enough 'defense'.

Hunters as scheme runners is very expensive, although great models i feel this list is wasting there talents. Lady Justice struggles not because of any list design but because of her straight forward and predictable play style. You can just feed her chaf and tie her up with inexpensive models, or avoid her threat range as she has no inherent mobility tricks.

I feel vendetta and implacable are also very bad upgrades, usually just crit striking is enough to remove most models, and onslaught is only good against hard to kill. The majority of models in Lady J's engagement will either have a push out or some way of escaping or should already be dead. If you run any upgrade in my experience is should be badge of office. The ability to ignore a red joker damage or someones severe will keep her alive throughout the game, with brutal effs healing and juggernaut, as long as she can ignore a huge burst of damage she should be fine.

Also i would never advise stoneing for riposte, even with df7 from frank you will probably be using a 13 to make sure they miss if they really want to hit you, sometimes they will hit anyway. In my opinion using stones for damage reduction and drawing cards at the start of the turn will be the best use of your cache. Using a 13 on defense seems appealing but keeping that 13 to ensure Lady J can truck someone for 4-6 damage per attack is a better use of the card. 

These are just my thoughts, and my experience with her, take them as you will.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Im Josh AMA said:

Nice write up! I'd like to share my thoughts on Lady J

Although frank's El Mayor is powerful, having a 9ss model in a box not doing anything giving you one less activation is in my opinion not worth it. You are better of activating frank early turn 2 and late turn 3 giving Lady Justice her buff for essentially 2 turns (generally the most important 2 turns) and not worrying about burying him. The brutal effigies healing and Lady J's ability to essentially kill huge threats in an activation is generally enough 'defense'.

Hunters as scheme runners is very expensive, although great models i feel this list is wasting there talents. Lady Justice struggles not because of any list design but because of her straight forward and predictable play style. You can just feed her chaf and tie her up with inexpensive models, or avoid her threat range as she has no inherent mobility tricks.

I feel vendetta and implacable are also very bad upgrades, usually just crit striking is enough to remove most models, and onslaught is only good against hard to kill. The majority of models in Lady J's engagement will either have a push out or some way of escaping or should already be dead. If you run any upgrade in my experience is should be badge of office. The ability to ignore a red joker damage or someones severe will keep her alive throughout the game, with brutal effs healing and juggernaut, as long as she can ignore a huge burst of damage she should be fine.

Also i would never advise stoneing for riposte, even with df7 from frank you will probably be using a 13 to make sure they miss if they really want to hit you, sometimes they will hit anyway. In my opinion using stones for damage reduction and drawing cards at the start of the turn will be the best use of your cache. Using a 13 on defense seems appealing but keeping that 13 to ensure Lady J can truck someone for 4-6 damage per attack is a better use of the card. 

These are just my thoughts, and my experience with her, take them as you will.

Fransisco is in the box cause he can move more in the box + he will not die during turns when he have to go into combat. You can not using Vendetta and Badge of Office at the same time. Fransisco go out at third turn (lately) bcs you one activation less on second turn in not not the best for you. And then he fight with Lady. Hunter's are not scheme Runners. They are hunting for them and doing Schemes only if They must do it. Implacable also give Lady "Bulletproof" cause you can not always have your Cover activated. Bonus damage flip on trigger is used sometimes for RJ damage flip. Also you said Onslaugth (:mask:ram)  is only for bonus 2 damage or to kill "Hard to Kill" models. 7 Df + 7 SS to prevent make her also invulnurable to any hits and that is better than just reducing RJ damage. Better prevent than curing ;) . I don't have to use 13 do defense myself from attacks. On most situations we will cheat second so we can just flip lower card from our hand with :mask (still have to have higher value) to "Riposte" the enemy. Sometimes is better to use stones to give her this one additional damage to for example one shot enemy minion and then charge to the next enemy. 

Thanks for reply and wish to write with you again.

Personally I agree that Vendetta is not worth taking. Especially if you are also setting up to use reposte, and so have other uses for high masks. 

It becomes a little more promising if you use it when she hasn't charged, so she has the positives to her damage flip, but 2 attacks that I expect to do weak 3, vs 1 in which I expect to do weak 5 is something where I prefer the less resource intensive nature of only having to force 1 attack through. 

Some of that is play style, and what you prioritise.

Likewise, I find that her death is most likely to happen from 1 big hit, rather than lots of little hits (Especially when you aggressively reposte) so the defence that the badge does give her is a really big thing. Even if you don't use it until the hit on her to prevent 1 damage and keep her alive, it has warped your opponents way of playing into her for most of the game. 

But I disagree with the idea that its not worth concentrating on reposte, it is a very awesome ability. I would much rather use the high card form my hand to both save her some damage and hurt the enemy whilst they spend AP to do it rather than have to spend my own Ap on it. But it does require you to spend a bit more effort on thinking about the opponents hand and what they have already done with it each turn. I wouldn't stone on the first couple of attacks, but after I've seen them use a couple of severe cards from their hand, I may well push for it, even if I'm only Df 5. 

If Vendetta lost limited I would consider it, especially with nearby Promises.

I do however agree that with El Mayor the Badge is not-that-necessary, but for me its still the better option. Burying Frank has the drawback of taking a lot of board control due to his charge 7 and 2". Basically you have to activate he Marshal to release Francisco and use Companion which requires chain acrivation, which usually I try to avoid (unless its a big Beater in the middle of my crew that I want to take out before he activates)

Other upgrades is the Bulletproof +1 which I tend to take a lot.

I also agree Riposte should be more of a situational/psychological thing, although if you have Papa Loco it starts to gets something worth investing.

I would have to agree with Im Josh AMA when it comes to upgrades. Having recently played against badge of office it was really frustrating when i finally got a straight flip on my damage flip and thought that I'd finally killed LJ by cheating in the red joker, but then the badge is discarded and my massive killing blow is reduced to 1wd. Additionally facing 3 attacks from LJ is brutal and if she doesn't charge then that could easily be up to 18wds. For me that is a much bigger threat than riposte that receives a negative and armour can drop that damage to 1 or 2. Riposte is good and great to have as another line of defence but it is a situational ability that i feel has a greater psychological effect on your opponent then its' effect in game.

I really like these discussions as they allow people to present their point of view and sometimes that position is one that we haven't considered yet. Good work peoples

• Like 1