Shifting Loyalties PDF

Lucidicide

Just to say I found a lot of this unreadable due to silver text on a fawn background and had to get a refund from DriveThruRPG.

the main problem was fluff related on the upcoming models so if you're not interested in that there is only about seven areas unreadable.

Have asked DriveThru to let me know if there's an updated file

Yes I have the same complaint.

But I would like to give my utmost thank you to Wyrd for making the digital edition available so quick! Thank You!!!

But yes I also have a problem with silver text not being readable.

* took the image out because of copyright

Edited by nunorod

Me too.

Ok...It's a Mac thing. In acrobat reader it's fine, but When i open it on Preview App or on Goodreads(iPad App) the background doesn't show.

Maybe it's something in the original file that is not compatible with some readers? An svg or a kind of shape or Photoshop effect?

I'll try it on the iPad on another app to see what happens.

We will look into this. Everything I currently have shows it as it should but I'll pull one of the macs on Monday to see if we can't ferret out what is causing this on some readers and see if we can fix it for everyone.

We can make some goof-ups from time to time, but silver on light backgrounds wouldn't be one of them.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I finally got around to picking up the Shifting Loyalties PDF, and here's what I'm seeing.

What am I doing: 

System:  Mac OS X, El Capitan.  Version 10.11.2

PDF Viewer:  system provided Preview application

The behavior:  Somewhat at random, the dark brown backgrounds to the various charts and tables doesn't get displayed properly.  It looks like the background is getting truncated except for an area in the lower left side of the page in most cases.

Will attach screenshot as soon as I stop fighting with the attachment system.

Shifting Loyalties render problem.jpg

Comparing it to the printed version, there brown box on the left side is supposed to a bit wider and span the entire height of the page.

As far as I can tell, all of the brown backgrounds are being displayed like that (truncated the lower left corner).  If anyone at Wyrd wants to double check the PDF file to see it's a weird Mac thing or if Drive Thru is doing something bizarre to the files, just let me know who to send the file to.

Edit:  I dug out an old Mac that had a previous version of OS X on it, and I see the same rendering problem in Preview on OS X 10.10.4.

But, I have Acrobat Reader 9.5.2 on that machine, and in Acrobat the page renders as expected.  So I'm guessing that the file isn't getting damaged anywhere but it's a disagreement between Acrobat and the PDF viewers.

Opening the other M2E PDFs on that machine in Acrobat, they all come up "Secured", so that doesn't seem to be the difference.

Is there something unusual about how those brown background areas have been constructed?

Edited by solkan

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, so I went through a bunch of different tests, and I can't get it to work on an iPad. I exported it in every way I can think of. My internet searches have shown that the built in pdf reader in iPads and iPhones have a problem with certain types of graphics (so if you can use a different pdf reader they should open). Unfortunately, my attempts to export in a way that those graphics weren't an issue failed.

The only thing I can see is that it's an issue with certain JPEG files as they get compressed. The only way I can think to fix it would be to send uncompressed files, but as those would be absolutely gigantic it's not a tenable solution.

If anyone has any ideas I'm happy to try them. If you have the opportunity to use another pdf reader, I'd recommend you do so. If I come across another fix, I'm happy to use it.