Forging a Fated: Felix Boon

edonil

Hey everyone! Wanted to write this up, as my group is about to get going with a new campaign of Through the Breach. Thought it might be interesting to show one way of working through the character development system, because it's by far one of the most interesting things about the game, in my opinion. So, this is a sorta review/tutorial of the character creation. Hope people find this helpful and interesting! If anyone's got questions about things, I'll answer what I can, but some of the details you'll have to check out the rulebook. I am hoping to continue this on to a character journal, to show how the character changes and grows through the course of the campaign.

Going into character creation I had a few things I was keeping in mind. My FM was planning on doing a 'Breach Reopening' campaign, so magic users were going to be unavailable as Pursuits until later in the story. Additionally, the campaign was going to be more combat slanted than it was social, and I wanted to try my hand at close combat.

So, the first thing we started with was the Cross Roads Tarot. This part of character creation really is interesting, in that it replaces what most systems use dice for. You flip five cards in a particular order, which gives you starting stats, tells you how many things you're trained in for skills, and gives you a little bit of your history. At the end of everything, this is the spread I got for this character:

Station: Shopkeep

Physical Aspects: +2/ -1/ -1/ 0

Mental Aspects: +1/ 0/ 0/ -1

Skills: 3, 3, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1

Now, all that is just a lot of numbers at the moment, so I'll take a chance to explain some of it. Basically, Aspects are your stats. They include how smart your character is, how strong, charismatic, tough, fast, and so on. Skills combine with your Aspects to say how good you are at something. In TTB, human average for an Aspect is 0. Skills range from 0-5. When flipping the Tarot for your skills, you'll either end up with a lot of skills you have some training in, or fewer skills where you have better training.

So, with my Physical stats, I was going to be decently above average in one stat, average in another, and slightly below in my last two. Bit of a problem considering that I wanted to be a close combat character, but nothing insurmountable! Mental stats, I was a lot more balanced, with one slightly above average and one below. My skills were a bit of a lucky break, in that I had three where I had good training, two with decent, and four where I had the bare minimum.

Since I wanted a close combat oriented character, I decided to setup my stats in the following way:

Might: +2

Grace: -1

Speed: 0

Resilience: -1

Charm: -1

Cunning: 0

Intellect: 1

Tenacity: 0

What this gave me is that I would be decent at close combat, although a little bit of a glass cannon, and pretty smart, if not especially charismatic. I also would be a pretty crap shot with most firearms, since Grace is the primary Aspect there, but I wasn't too worried about it. Now, before I wrapped this all up, I got to increase two of my Aspects by +1. I decided to up my Speed and Resilience, letting me get into combat a little quicker and making me human average tough.

With my Aspects out of the way, I was onto skills. On top of the numbers I had above, I also got a +1 to Barter from my Station, because of my childhood spent as the son of shop owners. Each Station gives a bonus like that, where one skill will get a free increase related to growing up. There's a Station for each card, and they run the gambit from the mundane to the extraordinary.

Being a combat character, I took my top numbers and dumped them into Melee, Evade and Toughness. The first skill governs most close combat weapons, excepting things like Greatswords and a few other weapons. The second one was important for my Defense, in that I would pick the higher of my Evade or Speed for that. The third affected how many wounds I would start the game with, so I figured that would be a good one.

After that, I put my next most important ones in Centering, related to Willpower, and into Deceive. Deceive seemed like a good Social skill to have, especially with the ability to do things like Feint in combat. My remaining skills I tossed into a hodgepodge of stuff: Athletics, Wilderness, Long Arm, and Music. The last one mainly for giggles. So, with that done, here was my skill list:

Melee: 3

Evade: 3

Toughness: 3

Centering: 2

Deceive: 2

Athletics: 1

Wilderness: 1

Long Arm: 1

Music: 1

Barter: 1

The last two things to do was pick a Pursuit, then a General Talent. For this character, the three Pursuits I was looking at the closest were Drudge, Scrapper and Guard. Drudge would give me a Pneumatic limb, which would make a good weapon, but I decided that a miner with a soulstone powered arm didn't fit quite right with the time period we were doing. That left Guard and Scrapper. Guard would give me a lot of defensive options, letting me operate as a sort of group 'Tank', especially with the Pursuit talents and one of the new Tactical Actions found in TTB. Scrapper serves as a more aggressive counterpart, where you get things like Flurry and Melee Expert. Wanting to play more up front and personal, I decided to go with Scrapper.

As part of the Scrapper package, I got to pick a weapon and some armor, so I grabbed a simple Boarding Axe, a breastplate and a helmet, giving me Armor +1 and a rather handy weapon. Using the armor made my General Talent pretty easy to pick, as Armor Training would remove me being slowed down by Light Armor.

With all of the mechanical aspects to the character settled, minus some final equipment purchases, I wanted to deal with who this character is. My Station tells me where I started, but I still had a lot of free room to pick where he went from there. After looking over things and thinking about what the world outside Malifaux would be like at this time, here's what I came up with:

Hailing from a small town in the New England area, Waxillium Sharpe was the son of the local shop owner. During the hundred years between the Breach closing and opening again, the town entered a death spiral, slowly being abandoned year after year. By the time he reached his majority, Waxillium's hometown was empty, and his parent's shop had closed its doors. Taking on small jobs here and there, he earned enough money to leave home and moved west, heading for the frontier territories.

In the frontier, he changed his name to Felix Boon, becoming a local lawman, if an unofficial one. He made a name for himself, as an effective, if brutal, hunter of outlaws. After a decade of this, Felix heard about the Breach reopening, and joined a group of friends in heading to join the Breach Expeditionary Force on behalf of the Guild. Once there, Felix hoped to impress the Guild officers enough to be able to join as one of their marshals once Malifaux City was reclaimed.

And...that's everything! Beginning to end, that's character creation, and one method of utilizing the really fun system that Through the Breach has to offer. Like I said, if people have questions or something, I'll be happy to answer them. I do intend to keep going with this thread as sessions go on, showing how Felix Boon changes and evolves over the course of his journey Breachside.

Oh! Actually, that's not everything. I forgot about one of the most important parts of the game: Fate. With the Cross Roads Tarot, once you have the cards arranged, you find out the future of your character. Here's the one for this character:

As you are unmourned by the father,

your deeds will be undone before the thirteenth step,

and the witches will wait for you at the crossroads.

The water falls like envy, the river runs like rage,

and you will leave a twig to hold the sand.

Hope this was helpful everyone!

• Like 3

Very nice writeup (good explanation of what's going on). I think it might be worth noting how your character's derived stats end up (Df 5, Wp 4, Wd 7, Wk 5, Cg 5, with Ml 5 on the axe... is that right?) since that will be the most directly accessible information to Malifaux players.

It's also worth noting that your Station doesn't give +1 to the skill any more, it gives you the skill at rank 1 as long as you don't put any other points in it. If you do, it converts to +1 experience instead.

'Waxillium Sharpe' is an absolutely sublime name. I can't understand why anyone would ever change it. ;)

Great post. Really shows off the system. Question how long does character creation take on average. Did you and your FM flip with the group or was it done individually

The first time we played, it took about an hour and a half, with five people making their characters at the same time. I imagine that once we know the system it'll go a lot faster. It would probably go a lot faster with physical books as well - the PDF format isn't particularly suited to using lookup tables. If you've played D&D, it's roughly comparable to that in terms of the amount of time taken and number of decisions to make.

• Like 1

We also (me being edonil's FM for this campaign) have a mix of personal flipping and group flipping, because of timings and people being busy. It's fun as a group, especially when people read back their fates and go "oh $%*#&%#, I'm going to really suffer aren't I". Everyone gets to have a laugh imagining the shenanigans in store...

Yeah, for me it was probably about 15-20 minutes for the mechanical stuff, but I've been involved in developing a lot of characters just from doing the beta. In a lot of ways, a brand new character in this system is probably the easiest thing I've put together from a cold start than any other.

Had thought about putting up notes about the derived stats, Kadeton, but wasn't sure how much of the mechanical stuff Wyrd was okay with me posting. But, since you brought it up, I'll mention it here.

Through the Breach, once you get past the above mechanics, really turns into Malifaux 2nd Edition after you get the stats together. Like Kadeton said, you'll end up with the standard statline we all know and love in terms of Defense, Willpower, Walk, Charge, Height, Wounds, and so on. And when you get to using Skills, it does much the same thing. So, for example, Felix's statline works as the following:

Defense 5

Willpower 4

Wounds 7

Walk 5

Charge 5

Height 2

If I'm making an attack with my Boarding Axe, the math is a lot simpler. You take the Skill, and then the Associated Aspect and add those together. So, using a Boarding Axe, I'll have a Melee of 5 (Might 2+Melee 3). If I'm doing a Long Arm check, like firing a Rifle or a Carbine, I'll have a Shoot of 2 (Intellect 1+Long Arm 1). Now, the Skills and Aspects can increase as time goes on after each session, so eventually I'll end up better with my abilities. But, for now, these work fairly respectably.

Thanks for the kind words, glad to see people found it all helpful!

Our group has been running a very combat-oriented game and it's worked reasonably well. Since almost all of the spells and equipment in the game are combat-related, and the character system essentially gives Malifaux stats, you can run combats fairly easily.

The only caveat is that the combat system heavily favours the Fated, who can start out surprisingly powerful... or incredibly weak and useless in a fight if they're not built for it. If you want lots of combat, it's going to require that your players all build combat characters.

I would definitely agree that starting characters tend toward surprisingly powerful even without really kitting them out that way. Was primarily wondering about your groups experiences with the static resolution of the NPC's versus the communal fate deck of the players. Also wondering what your typical encounter mix is?

I would definitely agree that starting characters tend toward surprisingly powerful even without really kitting them out that way. Was primarily wondering about your groups experiences with the static resolution of the NPC's versus the communal fate deck of the players. Also wondering what your typical encounter mix is?

Might be a good candidate for a new thread, if you want to talk about it in depth - this thread is about Waxillium.

Short version: it works fine, but is very predictable and needs a mechanic where the FM can "cheat" a result to give the players a surprise. Making sure that all the players can reach the communal deck on a big table covered with miniatures is a pain.

Our group has mostly taken on large groups (8-12) of minions and a few enforcers with no problems, but we got totally wrecked by a Nothing Beast encounter (though that was intended as part of the plot).

Was an enlightning writeup and it's good to see how other groups engage with the process, thanks very much. I can see one place you appear to do things differently to most of the group I play with though.

In devising the North and South tarot (both to do with Fate and skills) most of our group actually uses those choices to help detail a character's background and give the FM some options to consider when devising how our Fate will play out in game.

From your Fate writeup I can see you pulled the 12 of Masks (3, 3, 1, 1) for the North card and the 4 of crows (3, 2, 2, 1, 1) for the South. The primary difference from your writeup is we take each step seperately. So the 3, 3, 1, 1 skills would be selected to represent the skills the character learned, and maintained, from their childhood/teen years (Root Skills). So with your two 3's being in evade, melee or toughness we would've tried to explain why two of those skills were necessary. Was our father drinking due to the downturn in business. Did this make him abusive and so we learned to take a beating and 'not be where the fist was landing'. Or were we fighting with other kids because their families owed credit to our dad and they were all in a place where they were much poorer and in debt to our family. As such the character was hated, bullied and beaten up. If so maybe toughness and evade were things the character learned. The character had to 'harden up' just to get by. For the 1's maybe Athletics and Wilderness as we simply left town for a while to 'get away' when things got to be too much. So we learned basic physical skills like running and jumping and swimming and also basic survival techniques. Or maybe Athletics and Music representing our constant running and climbing around town to get away from the 'bullies' and Music because it's what we did to 'mentally escape' our shitty life.

In your example the Southern card is about the choices we made as we 'matured', what we chose to be. So being bullied and the town going under there was absolutely nothing that encouraged the character to stay. Heading West he found a new home and a new name. His skills in the wilderness and athletics and toughness helped him survive the trip. but arriving at his new home he saw more of the same 'bullies'. Not again, not this time, and so he became an unofficial protector in the neighbourhood. Picking up melee skills and learning how to handle a longarm. No longer the 'bullying of children' but rather the 'wars of men'. He still plays music because it lets the character get away, only in his maturity he learned techniques to just focus and calm himself. Maybe he recalls music he's heard in his head and he is now 'drawn to' fine music as a result of this. But however it happened it has resulted in the Centering skill. He also learned to hide his fear of 'bullies' and stand up for what is right. It is here he learned to hide the truth and 'deceive' others. Nothing nefarious, maybe the character is even trying to run away from his own 'truth' and history.

We discovered that asking these questions and dealing with the skills as two seperate stages of a character's life help to define the Fated a little more. The youth shaped by circumstance and the adult shaped by choice. The questions that arise help to 'nut out' the character and give a greater insight into how they'll react to situations they may find themselves in during the course of the chronicle. The focus on narrative in TtB can be replicated in the creation system wonderfully. There's not right way and wrong way to do this stuff and each groups MMV. We're just working with the system in a very precise way for a set of particular results that help our storytelling/gaming.

For me the best thing about this creation system is it opens up opportuntiies that a player may not even considered at first. Initially I thought the Tarot might restrict character builds a little too much. But what I've found is that it opens up so many variables and possibilities. As an example using the exact same Tarot drawn above and looking at the music skill selected it would be possible to build a performer (musician) who would also become exceptional at close combat by merely taking a low strength, high grace and picking up the Flick of the Wrist talent. You could still start on the scrapper pursuit but at it's core the character wasn't a self appointed 'writer of wrongs' but just a muso that was bullied and harrangued and finally thought enough is enough and learned to protect themselves. It also means the Trick action you mentioned becomes a lot more powerful when on the performer pursuit with a card drawn to the twist deck on any failed Trick action that relies on deceive rather than sleight of hand (pick pocket). The Tarot system just gives a set of defined parameters (core stats) in which to let our imagination and the system run riot to build the narrative.

Apologies in advance if it's perceived I derailed the thread a little, was not my intention. I just wanted to highlight for other readers that the skill selection of the tarot can be used in a very literal way to help build more narrative, assist a player in directing their in-game choices and assist the FM in defining how our fates will play out. You have to admit, if a choice was made to go with a drunk and abusive father the first lines of your character's Fate begins to convey quite interesting meanings for a FM to play around with. Couple this with music folklore, deals with the Devil made at a Crossroads in exchange for brilliance and fame your FM could have a field day with your character's destiny.

Kind Regards,

Ad

• Like 4

Heh, honestly, that's a pretty cool way of doing it! No worries about derailing the thread, I'm glad you mentioned how your group does things. It's sweet seeing how other groups and players use the same system. Like you said, there's a surprising amount of flexibility for how it all works. Would love to see a similar writeup from your group, if you ever get the inclination!

Sure, when I get the time I'll start a post and write up my latest character for a new game starting this weekend. To highlight the flexibility of the Tarot system I'll make sure I write up the two different concepts I was toying about from the exact same Tarot draw. I had no idea or preference of what I was going to play and just let 'fate' direct me. One is a ruthless young man studying to be a doctor who operates as a bounty hunter to pay for his study, upon him the Breach has a profound effect leaving him metaphysically stranded. The other an abused victim who previously had no option but to work as a Lady of the Night just to put food in her belly. But now she's starting to exert control over her life, question is what will she become in the process? Best thing is, even the same Fate for each can be read differently based on my input into their narrative. For one it looks like it might be promising, the other, less said the better. Really looking forward to how the FM interprets it.

Kind Regards,

Ad.

February 24th, 1897

Malifaux is a strange place. Here less than 12 hours, and already the world has become something wholly new. My companions and I arrived today at the Breach, a bizarre and otherworldly thing. It turns out we're one of several mercenary groups here. Most we haven't met, but the few are certainly an eccentric bunch. The Guild is here in force, as would be expected.

Our group of four consists of myself, the historian Illinois Ford, a miner by the name of Roger Just, and a field guide, known as Anna Bywater. We're all from the same part of the West, old drinking buddies who owe each other a favor or two. Anna Bywater and I are here for the same reason, really- boredom. The West has become much too tame. Illinois Ford is a historian who owed me a favor, and has long held interest in Malifaux itself. Roger Just... he seems to be here primarily in the interest of a paycheck.

Our Guild masters are military officers. Corporal Jones, the Archivist, who insists we shouldn't be giving him any amount of paperwork as a general course. Corporal Brigham is the quartermaster, and quite a loud fellow at that. Sergeant Limmell is second in charge of the camp, and seems to be the one who is truly in command, in spite of the captain. The captain, while in charge, is an... interesting fellow. Typical Guild paper pusher.

After wandering around the camp, we've met two of the other mercenary leaders. The first is Eldon Reed, who introduced himself as an Investigator. The other, Kelsey, has in his company the only Guild approved mage that I know of, named Woodhouse. Both seem to be decent sorts.

The first foray into Malifaux City proper was eventful to say the least. After wandering around a bit through some of the mapped areas, we discovered an old church. Illinois seemed to recognize it vaguely enough, and we entered to find that the church was still occupied by ghosts. Its parishioners and priest had all died in Malifaux a hundred years before, after the closing of the Breach. The priest, identifying me as a lawman, demanded to know where me and mine were a hundred years ago. He informed me, gleefully, that he was looking forward to seeing me die. We were attacked by a strange creature, that Illinois told us was the grim reaper from this religion. I took his word for it, to me it looked like some sort of cross between a lizard and a mountain lion that bled smoke. The fight was long and hard, ending with us driving the creature off.

The priest looked at us, telling me that I had managed to restore his faith in other people. Before the ghosts disappeared, he told me that he wanted to give me a gift. A statue at the front of the church held two strange stones, one blue, one red. According to Illinois, the religion believed that fire and ice represented life and death. I was told to choose between the two. Taking hold of the blue stone, there was an immediate burning in my palm, followed by a numbing sensation. The priest commented that everyone chooses death in the end, though I had chosen it early. I hadn't, I told him. Death's an old companion after years as a lawman.

Coming back to the camp, my hand finally began to feel normal, although my palm now has a strange bluish purple scar. We passed the mage, Woodhouse, who met my eyes and gave an almost conspiratorial nod. As I write this, it's strange looking around at the world. I feel like I can sense... something. Almost like the line between life and death, as it hangs in the air and breathes. I'm not sure it's possible to explain. But the scar in my hand remains its vibrant colors, strange though they are. I'll need to get a glove to cover that. I understand things now, being able to feel that barrier. I have been given power over ice and frost, over death as the priest would say. With that power has come knowledge, although not much. We'll see what other secrets the stone chooses to share as time moves on.

So, tonight was the first session of our TTB campaign, and it was a blast. Mako should be making a more comprehensive post covering the details of things, along with one of our other players. In the meantime, I wanted to continue on with the story and mechanical aspects of Felix Boon. (Or Waxillium ;))

Tonight, we resolved the first of my fates- As you are unmourned by the father. In this case, a pissed out priest/ghost. It was a really clever application of the fate, and was a great deal of fun. At the end of the session, I had chosen to defy my Fate, and was rewarded for it.

In the Epilogue section of the rulebook, it explains how the end of a session goes. Because of how we accomplished the story tonight, by choosing to stand our ground and killing the creature (a modified Rogue Necromancy), Mako awarded everyone 2 xp to spend on their skills. As part of the story that we did, I was given an additional bonus, for impressing the priest. I was allowed to pick the Hedge Magic Theory, tied to Ice, from the stone that I picked up, along with a Grimoire with two spells, Elemental Weapon and Elemental Strike.

Now, on to the regular bits. Because I was following the Scrapper Pursuit, I got to advance the first step down it, gaining the talent Close the Gap. This ability is awesome, because it lets me draw a card every time I charge. I can't remember all three of the options I was given for skills, but one offered to me was Sorcery, so I picked that, giving me the training to use Elemental Strike. I then spent my 2 xp buying Enchanting and increasing it to a skill of 2, representing the knowledge that the stone is passing on to Felix.

Finally, for completing my fate, I increased my Cunning by 1. This would help with a few different things, particularly Enchanting, but ultimately represented the unlocking of Felix's mind for new pathways to explore the world by.

Our next session is in two weeks, so that's when you can expect another post from me! If you've got questions, please ask and I'll see what I can answer. :)

• Like 2

Omenbringer, there are two other journals for this campaign as well, our FM Mako's here http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/100691-the-breach-reopens/

and mine here: http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/100689-forging-fated-anna-bywater/ between the three of us you should be able to get a pretty clear idea of what happened. :)

Have been following all three and none of them are really providing much detail on the actual "combats". From Mako's report I am guessing that the single "Enforcer" level modified Rogue Necromancy wasn't much challenge for the party of fated even with the stint of low card draws. I am guessing the most difficult part of the "combat" was the Terrifying duel to target it (if it was used). Even without all the negatives imposed on the "Monster" I don't think the fated would have had much difficulty dispatching it.

While I'm not opposed at all to answering those kinds of questions, I think they'd be better suited for another thread, Omenbringer, one that other people can go to when planning their own stuff. If you'd like to start one, I'll gladly offer my views, although I do believe I offered my perspective of combat in Through the Breach in the thread I referenced above, the one on Combat Planning. If you're looking for a detailed blow by blow, Mako is the best one to ask, he was taking those kinds of notes, I wasn't.

Well to be fair Edonil, that thread is fairly light on mechanics discussion as well.

No, it isn't. Mako posted a detailed, action by action discussion of the combat, including why he set things up the way he did. And in the other thread, you have yet to ask a specific question. Either ask a specific question in a relevant thread, or please stop. I have posted my impressions of how to run combat in Through the Breach in another thread, and, as I said, Mako gave a blow by blow. I have no more detailed information to give. If you want to see the detailed mechanics of combat in Through the Breach, go play M2e, they are the same with a handful of extra actions. I will not be responding to any more requests of this nature in this thread, and unless you get specific, in any thread. If that is not good enough for you, well, there's nothing I can do for that.

So, with a different topic now. Future planning of a mechanical growth for Felix is something I've been considering every once in a while. One of the awesome points of Through the Breach is the Pursuit system and the flexibility it offers to develop unique characters. So, I wanted to bring up that a little. Like I said from the beginning, I wanted Felix to be a melee character, which is why I went with Scrapper. With the conclusion of the first session, Felix has now gotten some limited access to magic, which brings in the possibility of doing Graverobber, Dabbler or Tinkerer. And finally, if we do a session with a heavier emphasis on Social things, I can pick between Overseer, Performer or Wastrel.

As far as magic goes, I think Dabbler fits Felix best. He's a hedge wizard with an elemental emphasis, so Graverobber doesn't feel like it fits right to me. Tinkerer involves a lot with Pneumatics and Constructs, which could be interesting and I don't want to rule out. Dabbler really plays best with things, or at least that's how I feel right now. That might change as things go on. I might play Felix as a Dabbler next session, to show him exploring his powers.

With Social sessions, the choice becomes a lot more interesting. The three Social Pursuits really have some interesting differences to them. The Overseer, for example, buffs the group with Talents like Concerted Effort and Work Smarter. The one really intriguing Talent to me is the Delegate Trigger, where I can pass damage off to a friendly character in case I actually do get hit, but that doesn't feel right with how Felix is right now. The Performer's early talents, Powerful Impression, Grace Under Fire and Helluva Entrance are all rather neat as well. Powerful Impression lets me draw cards off Social challenges, and Helluva Entrance gives me a :+fate to the first Challenge I make in any scene. Wastrel is probably the most interesting as a cohesive thing in general combined with Felix's abilities already, with a lot of abilities related to card manipulation. Cards up a Sleeve, for instance, allows me to pick a card from my hand and let someone else in the party use it if needed. Trump Card lets me manipulate the group Fate Deck, Luck of the Draw lets me draw extra cards.

So, with all that in mind, Felix is going to end up drifting from Scrapper to Dabbler to Wastrel, in whatever order is narratively appropriate. Hope the logic for all that makes sense, and hopefully that gives you some idea of how character development works in general. There's also a lot of General Talents to deal with, and I might make a post about those if people want to see it.

• Like 2