Nicodem summoning priority

graeme27uk

I usually find summoning Hanged is never a bad choice.

But really, your summoning is determined by the turn, the scheme, and the strat you are working on. It is also determined by the opponents threat to your own models.

Only getting in a lot of games, will you start to recognize which model works for you depending on the above. 

Personally, I tend to hire my utility pieces and summon my combat pieces. Nicodem's strength as a summoner lies is his ability not only in making his pieces better, but also to pick the right piece at the right time. Punk zombies are very killy, but unlikely to take much punishment, esp. if they come into play wounded. A flesh construct doesn't bring the enemy down anywhere near as quickly, but can tank like a pro, esp. if you've got an action and a card left to decay him back to full strength.

As much or more than any other resser master, Nico will benefit from having access to a wide pool of models to summon from. Understanding each minions capabilities will help you decide which minion is best in any given situation.

• Like 1

My summoning priority is based off what I need at any given time.

Combat = Punk Zombies

Control and Movement Manipulation = Rotten Belles

Tanking/Tarpiting = Flesh Construct

If I have a 13 of Ravens in my hand, then it will be a Hanged

the great thing about Nicodem is I need something I get it. 

Hope this helps

• Like 1

What about the Wave 2 stuff?

Students of X would seem a good substitute for Punk Zombies if you summon which ever was most appropriate for your enemy.

How many AP do you devote to summoning? Obviously dependent on corpse counters. Do you move Nicodem with his minions so that they benefit from his buffs.

Luring him with a belle a good idea?

Still not sure about Dead Doxies.....

So what would be utility pieces?

I don't have any experience with the University stuff, so can't remark there with any credibility.

As far as AP goes, I use how ever many is appropriate. There is no formula where x summons = victory. I aim to keep activation control, generally by a couple of models. I also tend to summon early, before too much engagement occurs, and base my summons off of the situation (ie strats and schemes, terrain, opponents force, etc).

Once engagement occurs, I generally find I don't have enough AP for summoning. At that point, I want fast punks, slow opponents, heals for my troops, or fine positioning for Nico himself, as a for instance.

Utility pieces? Anything that isn't a front-line combatant, but contributes to the rest of the force in some way. Belles lure models into position, doxies debuff, necropunks run objectives, dogs dig up bodies or flank opposing models. I don't take Nico without Morty. I generally bring a dog and belle, as well. Morty can dig up a body or move the whole force. If he doesn't move, but moves the force, real often I'll lure both him AND Nico forward.

Nico himself is an incredible force multiplier. I can't imagine a situation where I wouldn't be running a zombie horde/block to make use of his buffs and support spells, flankers and runners notwithstanding.

Edited: because my iPhone's done button is in a retarded spot :P

Hmm... so with the usual Line in the Sand strategy, would you move Nico to the line so he can have his aura's where they make most effect? Keeping him at the rear means his buffs are not in effect.

What about Upgrades.... seems there is quite a lot of competition...

And Morty... not sure how to use him yet. I guess giving him Corpse Bloat and Shovel means he can be the corpse counter generator. Taking three wounds sounds risky though and healing only 1 per activation is dangerous..... or at least it seems that way.

Generally, I find Nicos entire strategy is advancing into the middle somewhere with his horde and hold that spot. His auras and buffs really lend themselves to that "death ball" style of play. While Nick is doing his thing in the middle with a good sized herd of minions, objective grabbers are running around the edges or looking for a way through the scrum and the vulture acts as a force extension if I need to buff something out of Nicos reach.

• Like 1

This. As for upgrades, I generally play my first few games without them when I take a new master out for a spin. Nobody plays their master exactly the same way. Find out how YOU play Nicodem, and Mortimer for that matter, and then you'll know which upgrades will help you.

While I like the shovel, I personally don't generally use it. I find it makes me want to spend cards and stones to power it, in an unnecessary manner, because I'll want to use that extra AP effectively every turn.

My summoning priority is based off what I need at any given time.

Combat = Punk Zombies

Control and Movement Manipulation = Rotten Belles

Tanking/Tarpiting = Flesh Construct

If I have a 13 of Ravens in my hand, then it will be a Hanged

the great thing about Nicodem is I need something I get it. 

Hope this helps

This

These are just my opinions on Nico from my meta and experiences since M2e came out I've been playing him and McMourning exclusively, like mentioned earlier there are numerous ways to play him and it will come down to your own tastes.

When I take out Nico I of course take models that will benefit the particular strats and schemes the most, such as Flesh Constructs for turf war or punk zombies for reckoning, but when I am picking my support models I look more for what kind of combos I can get with what I call "Primary Minions" the ones benefiting me the most for strats and schemes. ( you will notice I almost always take a nurse because they are awesome)

Most of these combos I haven't seen talked about but maybe there's reason for that but they work for me so here are my favorites:

For Turf war: hire a flesh construct a nurse and the graveyard spirit. Run the Fc into the center cast downers on him from the nurse and have the spirit in base behind him, so now you have a 13 WD model in the center with armor +4 that will be on negative flips on duels but if Nico is up there ( which he should be) that's only negative to WP duels and straight to the rest.

For Assassinate, Vendetta or anything that needs to die, I have morti, nurse, and Punk Zombie. Nurse gives hallucinogen to Punk the morti fresh meats him to your target and Nico gives him fast then the punk flurries and attacks target for four 4/6/7 swings minimum damage on all of those is still 16 damage.

For Power ritual or Breakthrough etc. I like to have a Canine remains and nurse, nurse gives him uppers and Nico gives him fast so when he activates he can move 24 inches.

Sorry lunch is over, if you find this useful I got a bit more on combos and various ways to play Nico

These are just my opinions on Nico from my meta and experiences since M2e came out I've been playing him and McMourning exclusively, like mentioned earlier there are numerous ways to play him and it will come down to your own tastes.

When I take out Nico I of course take models that will benefit the particular strats and schemes the most, such as Flesh Constructs for turf war or punk zombies for reckoning, but when I am picking my support models I look more for what kind of combos I can get with what I call "Primary Minions" the ones benefiting me the most for strats and schemes. ( you will notice I almost always take a nurse because they are awesome)

Most of these combos I haven't seen talked about but maybe there's reason for that but they work for me so here are my favorites:

For Turf war: hire a flesh construct a nurse and the graveyard spirit. Run the Fc into the center cast downers on him from the nurse and have the spirit in base behind him, so now you have a 13 WD model in the center with armor +4 that will be on negative flips on duels but if Nico is up there ( which he should be) that's only negative to WP duels and straight to the rest.

For Assassinate, Vendetta or anything that needs to die, I have morti, nurse, and Punk Zombie. Nurse gives hallucinogen to Punk the morti fresh meats him to your target and Nico gives him fast then the punk flurries and attacks target for four 4/6/7 swings minimum damage on all of those is still 16 damage.

For Power ritual or Breakthrough etc. I like to have a Canine remains and nurse, nurse gives him uppers and Nico gives him fast so when he activates he can move 24 inches.

Sorry lunch is over, if you find this useful I got a bit more on combos and various ways to play Nico

Yeh, really interesting. I have thought about a Nurse.

What about things like:

Toshiro, Izamu and other Wave 2 stuff.

From chat tonight... Corpse Bloat on Toshiro means you can generate corpse counters and heal toshiro back to full health with Nico.

I've actually never used any of the Asian undead models I just don't care for the looks/theme so I'm limiting myself a bit, and have had just a little experience with wave 2 but love guild autopsies for Nico, tried night terrors they are good against some crews and not others, and crooligans rock dense tables.

I did just have an idea for them though that I'll have to think about, I can post after work.

I like the look of Toshiro and the other Asian undead... however when on the table with Nico's more Victorian look do they "go"?

Could make an "all Asian" Nico crew using Bushido miniatures - or go the  other way and find some proxies for the Asians.

Anyway..

What about the Students of X and Valedictorian. Nico can summon Students to suit the enemy crew which I think is pretty good. Valedictorian I have heard / read is that she is over-priced.

Cant flurry while you're hallucinating as its not a melee action is a flurry action.

He, he, he... has anyone tried this silliness with Killjoy yet? :D

I find that Nico's summoning is more often limited by what cards I have in my hand, rather than what is "right." Still, if you want objective runners go with Necropunks or Canine Remains. If you want to murder things go with Punk Zombies or Students. If you want utility go with Belle / Doxie. If you have a 13 go with The Hanged.

• Like 1