Terra clips

Kaine

There are still brick and mortar shops that have them in stock, though re-ording seems impossible. Sadly I had a conversation during GenCon with a Wyrd employee that makes me think they have probably gone the way of the dodo bird. To bad, I absolutely loved the product and am trying to scarp together the money for one last set of the Dungeon Rise Sets while I can still get them.

I would tend to agree that setting things up could be a bit of a barrier to entry given all the possibilities (and lack of included sample design instructions).

My first few nights with them during the GenCon they were released for example, resulted in tons of frustration and sleep deprivation (along with more set purchases because obviously I just needed more stuff to create my vision). Once I visited the World Works Games site and calmed down however, building complex structures became quick and easy (especially once I established a few "core designs").

I would also agree that they could be an unintended casualty of changes in M2E. Aside from missing some of those things (like Breakable Terrain and Indoor encounters) they also tended to elicit a lot of "house ruling" (whether it be adjusting the Height of the walls, rules for large models (Ht or base) to move around in side structures. opening closing doors, etc) with nothing official ever codified (despite requests for it).

Another issue with them was that they tended not to "entice" movement between levels (i.e. into the sewers or up to the roofs). I think the biggest contributor to this is the short number of turns a player has followed closely by players not thinking in three dimensions. Three dimensional play introduces some great Strategic and tactical play options (placing Scheme markers in the sewers while your opponent stays on street for example).

It also probably didn't help that they were rarely utilized well in "official" Wyrd tournament play at showcase events such as GenCon. Over the 4 GenCon's I attended I saw only one table that really utilized them well (and provided the recommended amount of coverage).

I will be sad to see it go, especially since I was really looking forward to the terraclips version of World Works Games new Wild West set.

• Like 2

My guess is that, like me, most of the people who were interested in them found that it took too long to set up to be really useful, while also generally working best with options that are no longer present in Malifaux as of second edition.

Pretty much.

I hope Wyrd try the licensed partner business model again though. Corvus Belli have used it to great effect gaining an impressive selection of officially licensed partners for terrain, counter sets and accessories.  These non core products are just what Wyrd need to boost their market profile post M2E imo.

My guess is that, like me, most of the people who were interested in them found that it took too long to set up to be really useful, while also generally working best with options that are no longer present in Malifaux as of second edition.

Actually, not quite.

Terraclips were made, as you probably know, by World Works Games.  The thing is, the lead designer and owner of the company, Denny Unger, decided that he wanted to make a video game for the Oculus Rift (The Gallery: Six Elements, if you want to find the kickstarter).  Ever since then (specifically, since May, 2013), there's been no updates to the World Works Games website (the kickstarter ended the month before).

The company used to release papercraft stuff, and the store is still open, but all of the WWG team has pretty much disbanded, or joined Denny in video game land.

A lot of people are pissed on those forums, because none of this was ever really officially stated; Denny responded via PM  to some people that he was trying to get a buyer for the site, but he never has done anything official to let people know what's going on.  Even posting on his new Kickstarter project, or PMing him on the forums in his video game, hasn't gotten a response from anybody in months.

So, essentially, it's not that the product wasn't doing well (I know my local gaming store usually sells about 1-2 a week, and we're in freaking KANSAS), but that the company behind the product stopped caring about the product and has moved on.  Which actually turned me off on the video game project; how do I know he's not just going to leave everything in the dust when he goes onto this next thing?

It's really sad, because the WWG community was really active, but since Denny kind of abandoned his company (and stopped updating ANY products), it's kind of become a ghost town.

Yes two of any sets will make a full 3' x 3' table with plenty of interest and versatility of lay out. There are sets that tend to go together a bit better though and my standard suggestion is Streets and Buildings. There are other options as well and with Sewers in particular I recommend the Dungeonrise prison set to add a bit of interest.

The Dungeonrise sets are great at augmenting the standard Malifaux ones.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting more and more tempted to throw in the money and do this.   I was thinking of doing two boards:  one would use two vaults boxes, while the other would be a combination of prison and sewers.  Could someone who has those sets confirm that each would have enough for a 3x 3 Malifaux board with some intereting elevation changes, chambers, and other features.

thanks

Actually, not quite.

--snip--

So, essentially, it's not that the product wasn't doing well (I know my local gaming store usually sells about 1-2 a week, and we're in freaking KANSAS), but that the company behind the product stopped caring about the product and has moved on.  Which actually turned me off on the video game project; how do I know he's not just going to leave everything in the dust when he goes onto this next thing?

It's really sad, because the WWG community was really active, but since Denny kind of abandoned his company (and stopped updating ANY products), it's kind of become a ghost town.

Arrghh..   I am really bummed.   The only reason I have not been using mine is I waiting for 2E to come out.  The other game I play that uses terrain doesn't allow pre-measuring and so TC was out as it is marked. 

I have two sets of Streets and two of Buildings.   I guess they will have to do.