What do I buy.....help I'm a newb

Nafnaf

Hi guys. Thinking of starting this game as it looks a lot of fun and the new plastic models are ultra cool. I am a 40k player looking for pastures new and have been playing a lot of alternative games and wanted to give this a good try. I have bought izamu the armor and toshibo the daimyo models just because I love the models and they are undead samurai (squeeeeee). Just bought the mini rulebook (waiting for it to ship) but really wanted some advice on where to go for here. Have I got the right models to go with each other? What more do I need to buy ( masters of the path?) and are they any good? Sorry for the many (and possibly foolish) questions as I really don't have a clue, and I appreciate your answers in advance. Cheers

If you want a crew that will go with the two models you have already purchased, I would suggest picking up the Yan Lo box.  He is a Resurrectionsist that can take both models, the crew is likewise in plastic, and shares the Asian asthetic they have.  His cards have just been finalized as of Monday and are available for download from this site.  All you need then, is a Fate Deck (or a normal deck of cards if you want to simply memorize the suit conversions.)

Yan Lo is neat Master with a unique Chi mechanic, that you may really like.  The Masters are all balanced enough that you need not worry about being able to be competitive with any of them.

Yan Lo is a really fun and nice master to play. But just as a head's up, Masters of the Path includes a whole lotta really small parts and is extremely frustrating to put together. So sooth your nerves before digging into that :)

Yes I suggest when clipping off and glueing on Yan Lo's beard you do so in a confined box of some sort :P

Awesome cheers guys. I have purchased yan lo and another weird looking thing with a body of intestines and a head...... Dead cool! I will bear the advice in mind with gluing yan lo. I cursed a fair bit when putting all the arrow bits in izamu the armor so will be extra careful with his beard. Glad to hear in malifaux any build is reasonably competitive. It is always a worry for a newb to buy something that looks awesome but ends up pants when it comes to use them on the tabletop

Well, it is possible to shoot yourself in the foot with crew selection, but if you go by the box sets as a guide, you usually have a reasonable chance with all strategies and schemes.

The thing to remeber is that not all crews will be equally good at all strategies and schemes. As you branch out, you will find that sometimes you want to bring model A worth 12 SS, and sometimes you want to bring 3 model B which is worth 4 points each.

The best thing to do is find someone who is also new, or someone who is good with newer players, to play against. That way even if you do make a mistake or handicap yourself in crew selection(say, picking a weenie rush against reckoning, which counts for models killed per turn) it usually isn't too bad, and you can learn from it.

• Like 1

I for one would welcome more Asian folklore beasts that are not Japanese, or Chinese. Not that I don't like the Japanese and Chinese mythical monsters, they just seem to be over represented in western games and stories, when the other cultures rarely get a mention. Mind you, I don't mean this from an equity, PC, perspective, that there needs to be more representation, it just the the others seem more unique and cool since they have less previous exposure IMHO.

(Incidentally, hunt down some pictures of the Manananggal, which is the Filipino version of the same creature, it starts off as a "whole body", but the upper part detaches and hunts you down dragging its viscera behind it)

• Like 1

But the Jiang Shi is the Chinese hopping vampire :( .

Yeah, and again, I have nothing against the Chinese and Japanese folklore, I would just like to see the net cast a little wider.

If the Jiang Shi shows up, I m sure I will buy it anyway, but i would be more excited for a Naga, Garuda, or a Pontianak if Wyrd made one.

(I would even go for a  Chupacabra for the Latigo Posse.)

I for one would welcome more Asian folklore beasts that are not Japanese, or Chinese. Not that I don't like the Japanese and Chinese mythical monsters, they just seem to be over represented in western games and stories, when the other cultures rarely get a mention. Mind you, I don't mean this from an equity, PC, perspective, that there needs to be more representation, it just the the others seem more unique and cool since they have less previous exposure IMHO.

(Incidentally, hunt down some pictures of the Manananggal, which is the Filipino version of the same creature, it starts off as a "whole body", but the upper part detaches and hunts you down dragging its viscera behind it)

I completely agree with you. 

• 4 weeks later...

Keep in mind that a large part of that region have very similar folklore and traditions. Mostly because they spent the better part of 1000 years invading and conquering each other. Not to say it is homogenous, and I'd really love to see some more interesting representations of less "mainstream" creatures, but in many cases the differences are fairly superficial.

Much like Europe, really.

Yan Lo's box with some Punk Zombies would be a nice addition to the models you already own. Yan Lo's shtik is working with Ancestors such as Izamu and Toshiro as well as the built up an spending of Chi.

Toshiro also allows you to hire Punk Zombies which are really solid models for their cost. Other models that fit with in with the theme of his crew are the Onryo (Think twisted spirits with geisha clothes + mask) and Komainu. Unfortunately Komainu don't have models at the moment but Bushido do a very nice substitute. The other Ancestor is Yin the Pennangalan who also works very nicely with him. 

Bishido-Shisa.jpg

In my experience Yan Lo with Toshiro, Izamu, Yin, Chiaki, Ashigaru etc are a very good crew to play with and against. He is unique in the world of Malifaux due to his mechanics and has all the benefits of being Ten Thunders and a Ressurectionist. I'm looking at getting himself sometime soon because I want the Ashigaru from his box.