Two-Player Starter Box?

Emberlost

I haven't heard anything, and I doubt it, at least for the next months.

If you want a crew to pitch against Lady Justice, Seamus' is the thematic choice. It's a great crew to learn the game with, and he and the lady are practically arch enemies.

If you want to expand into the Guild, however, I would recommend the Ortegas. Shooting crew versus beatstick is always a fun match.

Lady J v. Seamus would be a pretty decent starter, although, there's a lot more killing power in Lady J than there is in Seamus. The Hatter himself can be pretty deadly, especially paired with his Totem, but the rest of his crew is awfully control based. Not that damage is the end-all of Malifaux, far from it, but for two new players, it might be a sticking point. You could always go the way of Warmachine/Hordes, though, and expand the offerings, with something like Bette for Seamus and maybe a pair of Guild Guard for Lady J? This both gives Seamus a little more killing power, puts more corpses on the table for his abilities, and gives Lady J slightly more control...of course, having 5 models with Finish the Job on the table might swing things in an unpleasant direction. *shrug*

• 8 months later...

Long ago Wyrd sold a box with Lady Justice and Seamus crews in the same box.  It was called, "Terror In The Streets."  Those would have been the metals, of course, and I have heard nothing of there being a similar box in plastic.

TPBB.jpg

Hi just to say this box has NEVER existed. It was an idea I toyed with on my blog. http://citizenwilliams-amurderofravens.blogspot.com/2013/01/malifaux-on-budget-core-box-set.html 

Sorry

• Like 1

I dont think a two player starter box would work well for Malifaux, but perhaps a two player starter deal, with Two decks, two crew boxes a mini rule book. Maybe a blister or two to go with each master (must be related to each master) And offering a discount for it. Blisters give more options for it, but are not entirely necessary.

• Like 1

I actually don't think Seamus is that good a master for new players, he needs a lot of precision and his crew can be very control heavy which if you are coming new to Malifaux even with war games experience can be very confusing (why do I want the enemy closer to me? Surely all I want to do is kill them!).

If they did design a box I would go for two crews (Lady J and another master maybe Tina) and then write a series of intro scenarios to introduce the basics. Start with moment and interactions with minions, basic duels and then introduce henchmen, masters and finally upgrades. Again phase in some things like interactions and conditions as the game goes. 

I would also include 2 fate decks, 1 mini rule books and maybe some basic counters (done as a card sheet to keep the cost down). The idea would be some form of terrain as its so important to Malifaux. 

Two player box would be a good idea. I propose Justice and Yan Lo, with an added model: Toshiro and Lone Marshal, for example. Both crews are straight forward until one adds the Master and thus lend themselves well for some escalating introduction scenarios.

I still think a two player starter would work better with a henchmen and 3 minions per side. Make them something new and make them duel faction, something like rezzer/neverborn vs guild/arcanist 

While this is not a bad idea, I am utterly convinced that the last thing this game needs at the moment, are new models. First, publish the existing ones, and test the Avatars, and lets all get a grip on the weird rules that still crop up from time to time. Keep an eye on the balance. Then, in 2-3 Gencons, maybe add something new.