Coming Back After A Year !Holy Smokes!

Hawkman

Hello Everyone,

Hope all is well.

I am looking at returning to malifaux after taking about a year off. I must admit I am a little shocked at how much I will need to spend to start playing again. I have crews from all factions so I need quite a few cards as well as new rule book.

Even so, I was wondering if I could get a general feel for the "state of the union" in malifaux. Are most people happy and has the game made positive progress?

When I quit playing I went cold turkey and have not even checked in on the forums. I was looking at the Hoffman Avatar and it sparked me to check in on the game. I am poised to come back and would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks for everyone responses. I appreciate it.

Hawk.

Much improved ruleset and balance. greater variety and flexibility of crew builds. The game is very solid builds well on predecessor while removing majority of the barriers to entry of the previous edition.

I can't agree more. I only dabbled with first edition and really couldn't get very many people interested in it, but it's really taken off at our store with the release of second edition.

Getting arsenal decks for every faction can be imposing, so I would recommend just getting a few at a time to ease you back into the game and learn the new rules with.

Getting arsenal decks for every faction can be imposing, so I would recommend just getting a few at a time to ease you back into the game and learn the new rules with.

Edition changes do have those types of costs. I agree with Mindshred. Though I have models from all 7 factions , I've only gotten the Arcanist, Resser, Neverborn and Ten Thunders (and these guys really only for their Arcanist and Neverborn tie-ins) wave 1 decks so far as those are the factions I see myself playing the most in the near future, and I'll grab more decks as I feel the need to faction hop again.

Much improved ruleset and balance. greater variety and flexibility of crew builds. The game is very solid builds well on predecessor while removing majority of the barriers to entry of the previous edition.

I agree. One of the best edition changes that I've seen during my 20+ years in the hobby (WHFB 6th and Epic:Armageddon from Epic:40k are my other two favourites in the top three). And I really liked the previous edition as well! The game flows better, the rules are smoother (i.e. fewer oddities) and the balance seems better. The models lost a lot of rules but retained their character and oftentimes strengthened it. Now Seamus finally works as he always should have.

I am looking at returning to malifaux after taking about a year off. I must admit I am a little shocked at how much I will need to spend to start playing again. I have crews from all factions so I need quite a few cards as well as new rule book.

Just to point out something that's glossed over regularly...you don't have to spend any money to play again. Your models and cards work just fine playing as you did before. You only have to spend money if you choose to switch to the latest version.

Even so, I was wondering if I could get a general feel for the "state of the union" in malifaux. Are most people happy and has the game made positive progress?

I'd agree with the others above. The game is in the best state it's ever been in, IMHO. Rules are more balanced and streamlined, and generally I find the gameplay more compelling and interesting. I've played more in M2E playtesting than I did in all of M1E probably, it's just that much better.

For Hoffman, your crew won't really change much from last edition. The Peacekeeper, Guardian, Hunter, Warden, Watcher and Ryle are all fantastic with him. I found Ryle lackluster last edition, but now he is a fantastic henchmen. Hoffman's biggest change is his new upgrading mechanic, which I would highly suggest. It's a blast to use. Basically, you can use scrap (though some don't even require that) to make  upgrades on the fly. These upgrades can be very powerful. Giving Nimble or Armor +1 to a Peacekeeper is amazing. Also, he can use any Arcanist MS&U construct. If you play a bit of arcanists, you can get a lot of cool models, like Howard Langston for killing and Joss for Scap Generation and handling heavy armor (which most of your crew will be).

The other big new mechanic is Power Loop. Bascially, Hoffman can give out a condition that allows his models (and himself) share stats. For example, if the Guardian has Df 6, any model in your force witht the Power Loop condition can have df 6 as well. While this is a very powerful condition, be careful with it. It can be tempting to try and put it on all your models, but you'll just be wasting AP if you try to include everyone. You get one free a turn, and oftentimes simply spend 1AP (and the right suit) to cast the spell once. That's usually enough.

Hoffman has a lot of other cool options. Machine Puppet is still great, though now it is an actual spell, but it allows any (1) action. This can give Hoffman some insane speed if you want it to. His healing is pretty fantastic. He has area heals around scrap counters, and he can detonate scrap counters to damage and get rid of them (fantastic against Ramos). I'd highly suggest bringing some cheap constructs like the Mechanical Attendant (which brings his old Null Field, some condition removal, and an ok gun for only 2SS) or the Mobile Toolkit. Tap out is fantastic, and by doing it on one of them you don't even have to give slow to somethign valuable. Overlall, Hoffman is in great shape.

Hello Everyone,

Hope all is well.

When I quit playing I went cold turkey and have not even checked in on the forums. I was looking at the Hoffman Avatar and it sparked me to check in on the game. I am poised to come back and would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks for everyone responses. I appreciate it.

Hawk.

If you don't want to buy the arsenal decks, all of the Wave 1 model stats are in the big M2E rulebook.